Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who makes a tough and reliable direct box?

Bottomgottem

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll second the MXR M80. Rugged, very quiet, and in "off" mode it's very transparent. In "on" mode you can leave it flat or dial in a nice tube emulation tone. The clean channel sounds really good, I personally think the distortion channel is a little on the "buzzy" side for my tastes. I use mine in church every time I play (straight into the PA, no amp)...it's much higher quality IMHO than the Behringer DI's that are used with most of the other gear in my church, and in cases where you're sending a signal straight to the PA, the onboard EQ comes in real handy. It can run off 9V battery, external power supply, or phantom power from the board.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I just got a Radial like a couple of months ago, so I can't really vouch for its durability, but its case is super heavy steel thats bent around on one side so it only has seams on one side. It seems super tough and overbuilt. But, I'm also not woried about it because it lives in its box in my gigstuff bag with cords and other pedals and its kept off the floor onstage. Most DI's are built well and will last as long as they aren't kicked around and stuff.

It doesn't hurt to treat plugs and switches gently either. ITs one of those "you take care of it, it'll take care of you" things.

Originally posted by NV43345:

Originally posted by Matt W:

SansAmp Bass Driver DI

I tried out the Sans Amp the day I bought the MXR. While it had a nice tone, I liked the

option of the dirty side of the MXR. Then I pressed the "Color" button and I was sold on it.

:)

Interesting.. I've been thinking about getting a DI and always figured it would be a BDDI. Now I'll be looking at the MXR as well.

I like my SABDDI.

tnb got a DI that he loves about a year ago. Unfortunately he's been away from the forum for a while or else maybe he'd chime in about it.

The Countryman is a true workhorse indeed.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Sweets, can't recommend a DI (other than the obvious choices)my Alphaton sounds great, but it seems to have shielding issues. However, on a well grounded stage or studio, it kicks a@@. Right now, I am seriously considering a Demeter or ADL.

Originally posted by NV43345:

Originally posted by Matt W:

SansAmp Bass Driver DI

I tried out the Sans Amp the day I bought the MXR. While it had a nice tone, I liked the

option of the dirty side of the MXR. Then I pressed the "Color" button and I was sold on it.

:)

Interesting...I tried both side by side, and I liked the Sansamp's grit better than the MXR's distortion. But, I liked the clean sound of the MXR better, so I went with it. Different strokes for different folks, right?

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by jeremy c:

A Countryman direct box will last forever. You see them in studios and on stages everywhere.

Even though I'm a SABDDI owner I've been shopping for a Countryman Type 85 for almost a year. The local soundpeople I know swear by these things and it's hard to find one (even beat up) on eBay for less than $100. Soon I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy one.

The ads for them where they drive a truck wheel over them are accurate. You can even THROW these against a brick wall and not damage them. (I did, to the horror of my soundguy once, and used it the same night. :eek: ). And they don't color your sound, either. Can you do that with a SABDDI or MXR? I don't think so.

:wave:

If you are looking for shaping in your DI my suggestion won't appeal to you, but if you are looking for rugged functionality might I suggest the Boss DI 1

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/com/DI-1/images/top_M.jpg

I have been using mine for a VERY long time - well over 15 years - and it hasn't failed me ever.

Just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the utility of what is not.

- Lao-tzu

It's what I make - it's what I play

I want a transparent DI so I love my old Countryman but it has recently been retired and replaced with a Behringer UltraDI 100 because of it's sound, bulletproof construction and proven ruggedness. For 2 channel & stereo applications I am using a Behringer Ultra DI D120 that is not as rugged but it is mounted on my pedal board so it gets some protection there. Both are phantom powerable and less than 50 bucks, that's less than most passive DI boxes.

Again...I'll have to agree w/jeremyc. For just all out toughness/tone it's the CountryMan Type 85 DI...period for under $150. For the best tone/sound/recording it's the Avalon U5...it's expensive, and I'd be scared to haul it around constantly. For a middle ground... is the SanAmp Bass Driver DI. For -$180 it has been on my pedal board for many years it sounds great/has great sound/tone and you can even get the growl of a Ampeg SVT, or the classic BassMan. It also has an EQ/Level/Drive/blend/Presence.

The CountryMan Type 85 or the SansAmp for ruggedness/dependability/tone!

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Archived