Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My recent shot of inspiration - Pat Mentheny and TRIO

I feel inspired.

On August 26th (two weeks ago today) I saw the Bela Fleck, Jean-Luc Ponty, and Stanley Clarke TRIO concert. It was a religious experience. It was just the three of them, in a small semi circle, jamming away like nobody's business. I enjoy all three of them a great deal and the various bodies of work which they have. As a trio, they played off each other wonderfully and really painted brilliant musical landscapes. They all took a solo spot too. Each solo performance was outstanding. From a purely bass perspective, it was friggin Stanley Clarke. The man is insane. He played upright all night long and switched over to electric for the last two songs they did. If you've never seen Stanley play live, you should do. It's rare that you see someone doing such amazingly difficult things and making it look like there's nothing to it. "Effortless" is how I would describe his playing and technique.

Then last night happened. Last night I saw the Pat Metheny trio and quartet play at a local jazz club that seats about 400. We saw the 9:30 set. It was packed. It was insane. The trio was Metheny, Christian McBride, and Antonio Sanchez. The quartet added sax player David Sanchez. Uhh. yeah. I cannot find words to describe how amazing they were. You'll need to hear it to believe it. Absolutely one of the most amazing musical performances that I have ever witnessed in my life.

They played songs from all over the map from Metheny's catalog, a tune that he co-wrote with Michael Brecker - that he also dedicated to Brecker - called "Timeline", and a brand new song that is simply just called Number 61 right now. Number 61 was a beautiful ballad, the kind that (in my opinion) ranks right up there with Weather Report's "A Remark You Made" on the list of ultimate instrumental ballads. It made my girlfriend cry.

What can be said about Christian McBride that hasn't already been said? The man is just incredible. Every time I've seen him play, he just seems to be even better than before - which should be impossible because he was so damn good the first time I saw him ~8 years ago with Joshua Redmond. I mean, damn. He is THE guy right now as far as I'm concerned. His solo ideas, his accompany work, his ability to play off everyone else, his sheer technical prowess. He is just unmatched by anyone. This was all on upright, I should mention. He did whip out a fretless jazz bass for the last song of the evening - a rather funky little number that I did not know the name of.

Please, do yourself a favor, go see either of these shows if they come to your neck of the woods. It is worth whatever the ticket price is. Believe me. You will walk away from either show a changed person.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my man! i am jealous! i do enjoy Stanley on upright so much. BET Jazz Channel sometimes airs the trio performances with Luc Ponty and Al Dimeola - pretty scary stuff. But I am REALLY jealous that you caught Pat Metheny- the guy is GOD's gift to music. I cannot stop listening to " The Way Up " in utter amazement-

Antonio Sanchez shines with Pat and it was a wise move to bring him in. David is just sick good, and Christian is at the top of his game. Pat Metheny, however, has blown me away with his musicality- his ( and Lyle May's) writing and what I can only call soundscaping is is just unbelievable- if you have not heard " The Way Up "- RUN! don't walk , and get it NOW!

peace and greetings fron Sin City, bro- Adrian

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

This was on Metheny's website:

LATE BREAKING NEWS: PAT METHENY TRIO PLUS ONE

(August 10, 2005)

After a searing set with David Sánchez at the Montreal Jazz Festival in July, Pat decided to add saxophonist David Sánchez to his 2005 Fall U.S. tour with Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez. Pat has said that wanted to continue the musical dialogue with the saxophonist as soon as possible. After rearranging schedules, what was to be a gathering of three jazz masters will expand to become becoming a Pat Metheny Trio (& Quartet) tour with this powerhouse foursome. David Sánchez will be a special guest on all but four dates: San Diego, CA; Columbia, MO; Chicago, IL and Johnstown, PA.

I'm dying to see this trio..err, quartet!

A few years ago, I saw the PM trio w/Larry Grenadier and Bill Stewart. As good as they were, Metheny/McBride/Sanchez is a guitar trio that spent time at BALCO.

Antonio Sanchez is just flat out scary. Terrifying. I've seen him up close with the PMG on the "Speaking Of Now" tour and the opening night of "The Way Up" tour. If I didn't see him play what he played, I wouldn't believe anyone could play what he played.

Um, yeah, something like that.

BTW, Sanchez alternates playing bass and drums during the opening of "Part 3" of "The Way Up" live (the section where Steve Rodby is playing fretless electric).

• 2 weeks later...

going tonight to see the Pat Metheny Trio at the House of Blues-

man, listening to a Pat Metheny/Ornette Coleman cd, then to something like The Way Up or Secret Story- this man has 1,000,000 musical faces... I am not sure what to expect, but I am prepared to be slain.

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

amazing!

Pat did 2 tunes by himself at first- it's incredible the amount of music that comes out of this guy with an unaccompanied guitar. gorgeous stuff... then Christian and Antonio came on taking no prisoners. Christian is so smooth, with huge tone and seemingly effortless chops. Intonation to die for- big rolling tone, reminiscent a little of Stanley, but with serious jazz chops. Antonio... damn... this guy, to my taste, is the freshest thing I have heard on drums since Horacio " El Negro" Hernandez. He's so musical and commanding. Just am amazing drummer.. perfect that Pat has found him. David Sanchez was wonderful on tenor sax, he really seemed to be enjoying himself- playing beautifully with gorgeous tone and only now and then blazing thru some ridiculous passages and solos as if to say

"I can do this, but don't need to show off " - it was all about the music.

I have to say Antonio Sanchez floored me the most. I also bought the Pat Metheny Group Speaking of Now Live DVD and have been watching bits and pieces... this is a MUST own. The music is perfect, Rodby's upright is the voice of God... Lyle Mays is his usual genius self. Antonio again amazes, and RICHARD BONA!! oh Lord! he plays a solo on electric that will have you wanting to sell all your gear.... but his vocal solos spot, playing kalimba and percussion is worth twice the price of the DVD alone...

Coung Vu shines on trumpet and various intruments.

Pat Metheny, i will say it again, is God's gift to music... not just him , but the ensembles he puts together- I am so glad to be alive now to witness this ....

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

You have to see David Sanchez doing the Afro-Cuban thing. Just amazing. I have seen him with Charlie Sepulveda over 10 years ago, in a 12 pc. band. Another time with and Gonzalo Rubalcaba (piano) with some guy named Charlie Hayden on upright bass (more is less, and an unbelievable tone).

When David wants to do his thing, buckle up, you are in for the ride of your life.

Originally posted by bassaddik:

I also bought the Pat Metheny Group Speaking of Now Live DVD and have been watching bits and pieces... this is a MUST own.

I didn't know this DVD existed! Thanks for the tip. I'm going to look for it during lunchtime today.

I'm dying to see the one song from "Speaking of Now" where Antonio Sanchez's left foot is alternating between the hi-hat pedal and a cowbell beater pedal, right foot on kick, and his hands are just EVERYWHERE. That was truly astounding.

Now, let's just hope for a "The Way Up" DVD. :idea:

Mark- Antonio goes nuts on that! about the most amazing drum solo I have seen- at one point , he has a 2/3 rumba clave going with his left foot, playing the one with the cowbell pedal and the rest with the hi hat pedal, then his hands go completely free while the clave continues! then he breaks it down and starts playing a DIFFERENT clave with his left hand on a woodblock, while maintaining the original clave pattern with his foot- playing a songo pattern on the kick drum and soloing his ass off with his right hand, when he breaks into an all out "mozambique" feel all hell breaks loose! he is just the most amazing drummer! so MUSICAL !

Richard Bona is from another galaxy- and Steve Rodbys tone is so wonderful- this DVD is just ridiculous!

Lyle Mays is the perfect partner for Pat- Cuoung Vu has beatiful tone.

plus, when Pat writes those wonderful melodies... the song "You" comes to mind.. it literally brings tears to my eyes... it's the most gorgeous music i have ever heard.

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Archived