Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

additional band member?

The Fonz

so we decided we needed to fill out our sound a little. we searched for a second guitar, but apparently they're pertty hard to find right now. hoodathunkit? usually they're like rats or roaches: whatever city you're in is rotten with 'em, the bigger the city the worse the problem is. but right now they're more like cops: always around unless you need 'em.

so anyhoo, we decided on a keyboard player. we threw an ad up on craigslist. we got one response... the keyboard player from scissor sister. wow. a recognizable guy. so he came in last night, and this cat was SICK. as long as he's into it (he says he loves the music, but he's REALLY hard to read) he's the man.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the Scissor Sisters?? I went to a Dresden Dolls concert once, and after the concert, the DJ of the Scissor Sisters came to mix (can you say "play" in such a context?) a set. He friggin' rocked !!!! Never had so much fun shaking to dance music.

Anyway, if he's got the chops and he likes the music and is serious about it, why the hell not? We're thinking of adding keys, although I don't think it's absolutely necessary ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

i'm amazed at how much easier this guy has made my life. we were looking for a richer, meatier sound so i was doubling the guitar lot more than i wanted to. this guy fills in all the gaps nicely and i just have to worry about grooving with the drummer. it's really opened up my playing in a way i've never been able to capture before.

and dig this, we play one song for him and he just says "that doesn't need keys. keys would ruin it." holy crap. you will NEVER hear a guitar player say something like that. f guitar players, get yerself a keyboardist. checkerboard vans and blazers with huge shoulder pads and the sleeves rolled up optional. gotta have high hair though.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

and dig this, we play one song for him and he just says "that doesn't need keys. keys would ruin it." holy crap. you will NEVER hear a guitar player say something like that.

Well it doesn't happen often, but I have to disagree with you ... Many guitar players would say "this song doesn't need keys" :D:D:D

Apparently he's a stand-up guy, good to hear :thu: I hope it'll all work out well for you lot.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I hate you Ace.

Keyboards would be the only thing I would add to the prog-metal or original band. The right player can really fill it out nicely. Like a Jordan Rudess kind of player.

The fewer gu%^&rs the better. One per band please and thank you. :freak:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Hey is it Babydaddy? Won't put up his real name but if it is, you know he's an incredibly good bassist too?! You may be out of a job!

If it is him, ask him if he knows Jordee from London and when he's next over here.

Oh and i'm not Jordee, just in case you're a little concerned by the reaction!

------------------

Grrr

I am surprised that you couldn't find a guitarist.

Congrats on your good fortune. It sounds like this guy is a class act and fine player. These guys can add such a different texture and can add interesting leads as well as comping for guitar leads. I don't care about any of the appearance stuff - my question is - does he look up? My experience with classically trained keys people is that they look down even when cues are being given.

My band has a keys guy who has more family commitments than the rest of us - we're playing a gig soon without him. While we can do that, we appreciate what he brings. He brings piano, organ, horns, and accordian (Van Morrison's "And It Stoned Me"). While trained on piano, he has proven to solo best on organ parts - it's been very cool. And he (almost) never steps on my parts with his left.

Again Ace - congrats !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Having heard something about this for a bit now, I can only add my congrats that it's all coming together. The guy sounds like a keeper.

I'll be at the first show. :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived