Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about a Six String

EZ

:cool: Ive been thinking about a six string bass, at the present time Im using a five string. Now with saying this I have to admit that I didnt think a five sting was all that necessary, but not that Ive been playing one I dont think I would want to go back to a four. My question now is: How versatile is a six string I play funk, smooth jazz, R& B, and gospel.. Ive heard that it can be difficult slapping on one.
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by EZ:

My question now is: How versatile is a six string I play funk, smooth jazz, R& B, and gospel..

Very. Basically it opens up the high end for up-scale runs, chords and alternate hand positions. You have to sit down with one and decide if your technique would grow with it. I didn't decide on it overnight, either, it took a few of years making the transitions from 4 to 5 to 6 and to feel comfy doing it. But I still play 4 and 5 and keep my chops up on them because you never know when a gig requires you to do so. Not to mention the amount of material written prior to the popularization of 5/6 in modern music.

Originally posted by EZ:

Ive heard that it can be difficult slapping on one.

Very, but not impossible. I went with a wider-neck 5 (similar to the some of the Fender USA 5s) that helped me get around better and I can manage a decent slap on narrower necks now. You may have to go that route with a 6.

:wave:

I got my six 3 years ago and play it 98% of the time. I find it actually easier to play than a 4 as more notes are available in closer proximity.

I don't slap that much so I can't give a proper informed opinion on that front but with the 6 more things are possible.

Archived