Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coolest Slap Line

Fuzal

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coolest clap line?

That's the line at the Hollywood Free Clinic.

The coolest slap line?

You might as well start with the originator...Larry Graham. The song is Hair from the album Graham Central Station. Don't forget that Larry was singing lead while playing this line.

As you are working your way up to the present you might want to take a look at 5G as played by Jeff Berlin on a Bill Bruford record.

This stuff has a long history. Start with Graham, move on to Louis Johnson.

I think the (unintentional :D ) clap line question may be settled by checking out the Beatles intimate, warm & lovingly performed version of Buddy Holly's "Words of Love" on one of their early albums.

For slappin' don't stop at funk (& after Louis J push on to Bootsy, baby!) or even Berlin/Bruford.

Whattabout "airbody's" favorite Jaco P.? or Alphonso Johnson?

In my heart, though, I think I'll always treasure the lines Larry Graham slips into the extended slow version of "Thank U 4 Lettin' Me B MiceElf" included on Sly's There's A Riot Goin' On!

Well Craig beat me to it, but AFAIK (and that isn't far :D ) Jaco never slapped. At times it does sound as if he did, but hey I know some pic-style players who can also emulate a slap 'n' pop tone without using their fingers.

I can't do it properly either way :cry:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I'm pretty sure that Graham did not play on There's A Riot Goin' On.....it was Sly himself playing bass, guitar, and keyboards on that record.

Get out of town! I can't believe Sly is that good on bass....

I don't like slapping, but I sure do love Graham Central Station's second album "Release Yourself," which kicks the hell out of their self-titled and all their other albums IMHO. Pick it up!

You don't like slapping but you like 'release yourself'?! Do you not like to play slap or do you not like the sound? One of my favourite slap lines is 'graham cracker' by victor bailey. I transcribed for a performance at uni and there are a lot of really nice subtleties going on, also it inspired me to check out more Larry Graham which was a good thing!

Cheers

Craig

Once is an error, twice is jazz....

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Well Craig beat me to it, but AFAIK (and that isn't far :D ) Jaco never slapped. At times it does sound as if he did, but hey I know some pic-style players who can also emulate a slap 'n' pop tone without using their fingers.

I can't do it properly either way :cry:

Although it is not what he is known for, I have some live recording that definitely sound like Mr. Pastorious is employing the technique.

Greatest clap song: "Turn on the News" by Husker Du.

Greatest slap song: I'll agree with Jeremy.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by stonecoldbass:

You don't like slapping but you like 'release yourself'?! Do you not like to play slap or do you not like the sound? One of my favourite slap lines is 'graham cracker' by victor bailey. I transcribed for a performance at uni and there are a lot of really nice subtleties going on, also it inspired me to check out more Larry Graham which was a good thing!

Cheers

Craig

Both - don't play slap at all and I rarely like the sound it makes. I sure don't like the sound when compared with the sound produced by finger or pick style.

"Release Yourself" is one of those exceptions, but maybe that's cuz there's not a TON of slapping on it. Like that great bassline on the song "Release Yourself:" Larry is playing it all using his thumb like a pick, there's no slap.

What I like about Larry is that he doesn't go bananas with the slap - he's very tasteful with it whereas some guys are seemingly 90% slap.

I like Larry's work a ton, but I wish he'd never invented slap. Kind of set back the bass IMHO. Not unlike Eddie Van Halen's/Jeff Beck's invention of tapping for the guitar.

Larry's old slap tone is unsurpassed (can't comment on his current roundwound tone - hope it's as fat!) Unlike so many slap players he really gets deep in the groove, both with his tone and feel.

I've been completely reinventing my own approach to slap, leaving behind the frenetic twanginess of Flea and Les instead following in Larry's handprints, and I'm slapping more and more on my own songs but without it sounding in your face thus weakening the song and groove.

Find yo' Inner Afro!

Alex

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure that Graham did not play on There's A Riot Goin' On.....it was Sly himself playing bass, guitar, and keyboards on that record.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sly is a genius who seems to have frittered away his talent over the years.

I was living in Oakland when There's A Riot Goin' On came out. (I live about 4 miles from there now.) The word on the street was that Sly played on the album. The bass parts certainly don't sound like anything that Larry ever played before or since. I truly believe it was Sly.

I also saw Sly play guitar with Sly and the Family Stone. He could play anything and sing all the parts.

my vote for favorite clap line: the first 5-10 seconds of "Higher Ground" (Flea, RHCP)

my vote for 2nd favorite clap line (after "We Will Rock You") would be the backing track on "Jack and Diane" (the artist formerly known as John Cougar) followed by the backing track on "1999" and "Raspberry Beret", both by the artist currently known as Prince.

I'm sure there are many, many other candidates for coolest slap/clap line, so let's hear more from the clap category, people!

:D

quote:

Sly is a genius who seems to have frittered away his talent over the years.

I was living in Oakland when There's A Riot Goin' On came out. (I live about 4 miles from there now.) The word on the street was that Sly played on the album. The bass parts certainly don't sound like anything that Larry ever played before or since. I truly believe it was Sly.

I also saw Sly play guitar with Sly and the Family Stone. He could play anything and sing all the parts.

If Sly did play the bass he's even more of a genius than I thought - "Riot" is my favorite album of theirs, followed closely by "Stand," and then the rest are way behind.

I'm not a pro musician, but the bass sounds similar to Larry's style at the time to me. Sly must have at least been strongly influenced by Larry's style if he did in fact do the bass parts.

It's really too bad how Sly fell out of the music scene considering his immense talent - he had a bad heroin habit right?

There aren't many slap lines I really like... but way up there on that short list is "Dedicated to the Press" off Betty Davis' "Nasty Gal."

hmmm..."ring My Bell" is a good clap line...but so is "Jack and Diane"....but me still likes the clap line "When Doves Cry"....

I think the best "slap line" might be the exchange between Faye Dunaway and Jack Nicholson in "Chinatown" (where, of course, they slap each other?)

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Originally posted by Max Valentino:

I think the best "slap line" might be the exchange between Faye Dunaway and Jack Nicholson in "Chinatown" (where, of course, they slap each other?)

This brought back a lot of fond memories growing up and watching The Three Stooges... :D

Hey, I'm a nub to this site. Howdy y'all. Just making sure we don't forget Col. Les Claypool who asks...Is it luck? I feel that this is one of the sickest slap lines of all times. Or howz 'bout Big Train by Mike Watt. Yeah, he's done some alright slapping as well. The groove is in the heart- Bootsy. Just thought I'd drop my 2 cents in for what it's worth.

Pisces out! :idea:

Dead issue dept:

Thanks for the corrections, JC & Stone C.

I'd just presumed, like most maybe, that it was Graham on Riot but certainly Sly is/was a masterful musician...perhaps we could think of him as The-Artist-Futurely-Known-As-The-Artistic-Template-For-The-Artist-Formerly-Known-As-The-Artist-Formerly-Known-As-Prince (yes, that's typed correctly...though you may wonder why I bothered; long way for a small joke...maybe I'm gettin' "slap happy". :rolleyes: ).

Music Player online, where you learn something new everyday!

:cool:

The best slap/clap line I ever heard was Hair by Larry Graham Listen to all the popping and other stuff he does, and still keeps the rhythm going. When I first heard it I thought it was two bassist, or an over dub, because he never stops the rhythm.

P.S Actually, on that song A riot going on there is no one playing.

If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

Archived