Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Britney and N'Sync are okay after all!

Well, sometimes it takes a horrifying experience to make you realize that things aren't as bad as you thought. I had lunch yesterday in a restaurant that played Barry Manilow's greatest hits. :eek: I realized immediately that the pop crap of the 90's/00's is MUCH better that the pop crap of the 70's. From now on, no more Britney Bashing from me (not that I ever did, but now I won't even be TEMPTED to)!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you ever seen videos of Barry Manilow. He has the worst body language of any singer I have ever seen. It really is comical. None of his moves are in sync with the music. I just looked at his web site. He has 40 albums out. The first nine were Platinum, and he still sells records, so there are some serious fans out there. The invitations to the backwoods reunion I go to every year say, no fireworks, no roosters, and no Barry Manilow records.

I worked for Barry Manilow for a couple years and he is more talented than all of you put together, then multiplied by 10. He recorded songs that sold -- as per Clive Davis -- but they did not necessarily reflect him as a performer. Later, he branched out with more jazzy stuff but that was after his peak commercial period. If you got to sit with at the piano, you would be amazed. P.S. Today's pop music -- especially the rap and hip hop, is the WORST OF ALL TIME. Nothing else comes close in the suck department.

This is realted to the whole "suck" thing. People tend to listen to music that reinforces their life style. Musicians are the worst. Many live in very small universe of cool and uncool and don't see music for what it is. Everyone loves to bash Britney. Her "Hit Me" is a great track IMO. It just so happens that a million other average singers could have done the job. That track is the result of a good song and good production. Britney's vocals are the least important part. Doens't matter ... its a good track IMO. Britney doesn't sing any worse than most of the pop groups on the radio at any given time. Same with InSync ... better singers than Britney ... average songs... Barry Manilow ... good singer, excelent songwriter (albeit a style which I don't care much for) but a very talented guy. Again, many musicians live in small world of cool and uncool that keeps their ears closed. If it's a boy band or 70's crooner or whatever ... it just can't be good. "It's just not cool like what I listen to." Ok. Begin the flames.

Dan, I love you man. But Barry Manilow being uncool does not make Britney cool. Also, (gulp) I think he can write. I forgive a lot of sins if someone can write. Still an entire meal with Barry crooning? I feel for you. Hope the food was good. :D Jerry

I am music, and I write the sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooongs! Just not that one. I don't really like BM's stuff, but he wrote a HUGE amount of materiel that a lot of people really liked. Unlike the pop of today, he actually had a hand in writing most of his hits. Gotta respect that.
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by wildabst@aol.com: [b]I worked for Barry Manilow for a couple years and he is more talented than all of you put together, then multiplied by 10. [/b][/quote]Uh, actually, no -- truth be told, I'm pretty damn talented..... :)

[quote]Originally posted by posterchild: [b]Barry Manilow wrote McDonald's "You Deserve a Break Today" and State Farm's "Like a Good Neighbor State Farm is There" jingles...[/b][/quote]Wow, that State Farm jingle always sent tingles down my spine. Amazing. ;) :D :D

Didn't he write the Oscar Mayer song "Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer weener..." or "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, and a sesame seed bun."? Or am I ascribing too much to him? And yes, I agree, that State Farm song really gets me going!! :)

It's all about the effort and emotion put into a song- I may not like the style or appreciate what someone's doing off the bat, but if it's obvious that they put a lot into it, sooner or later I end up liking it more and more.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan South: ...a restaurant that played Barry Manilow's greatest hits. :eek: I realized immediately that the pop crap of the 90's/00's is MUCH better that the pop crap of the 70's...QUOTE] Pretty soon it will Michael Jackson's catalog for retaurant/mall music... :D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

• 4 weeks later...
Not that I think he's fantastic but Justin which is the lead singer of Nsync, co-wrote and co-produced their most recent album. Well most of it anyway. I guess a significant fact would be that the three singles Pop, Gone and Girlfriend were amongs the ones he worked on. Heres my take on it. Pop- a standard 'Pop' ditty, that's not innovative or timeless. He probably wasnt striving for that anyway. In which case its an ok song, but like most of 2day's stuff, they worked so hard on the chorus/hook and the verse is rushed and really suffers. Also a thing that makes the song sound so much better is the production. I believe Madonna producer BT may have produced it. Take away that and it does become a very average track. Average but on par with the rest of todays crap. Gone- in my opinion is almost a great song. I really find the verse and chorus, emotive and catchy, BUT I cannot stand the Bridge. it absolutely sucks. Its totally OUt of Sync- pun intended with the rest of the mood of the song. Girlfriend- Produced by the Neptunes and featured flavour of the month rapper Nelly. Either way the kiddies were going to make it a hit. Again I dont think its bad, but that's mainly because the rest of the chart is shit, which makes this shit look a little bit more appealing. Once again, take away production and the song loses about 70% of its value. Can I just ask, why are most bridges nowadays so crap? Is it because radio music is so commercial and hook driven, that you spend countless hours writing the chorus?? By the way im only 21, who is Barry Manilow?? Just kidding i know the man, but i do not know the music. I hear my mother likes him though.

[quote]Originally posted by wildabst@aol.com: [b]I worked for Barry Manilow for a couple years and he is more talented than all of you put together, then multiplied by 10.[/b][/quote]Oh yeah, I forgot about the time you came over to all of our houses with your talent meter and compared our capabilities to Barry's. Wish I measured up to the guy that did "Copacabana" and "Mandy"! There's my new goal to hit this millenium. - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by wildabst@aol.com: [b]I worked for Barry Manilow for a couple years and he is more talented than all of you put together, then multiplied by 10. He recorded songs that sold -- as per Clive Davis -- but they did not necessarily reflect him as a performer. Later, he branched out with more jazzy stuff but that was after his peak commercial period. If you got to sit with at the piano, you would be amazed. P.S. Today's pop music -- especially the rap and hip hop, is the WORST OF ALL TIME. Nothing else comes close in the suck department.[/b][/quote]I agree totally, Barry's jazzier stuff is his real talent. Even Barry himself admitted he likes that material far more in various interviews. I remember when he did a big band CD a few years or so ago. Had a hard time believing this was Manilow. (At least I'm open minded, I mean I tell people things like this when I refer to my musical tastes, and people find it hard to believe that I listen to death metal too! :p Takes all kinds, folks...) What very few people know (and what impressed me the most) is that he's classically trained.

Ms Spears is the first music my daughter "discovered". From there she is branching out to other forms of music quite nicely. If the Jive Records virgin-sluts are the way that our youngsters get turned on to music, so be it. I use the song "Lucky" ,among others, to do system evaluation with. Barry's songs are those kind of tunes you can't forget like it or not. I wish I could do that! Robert Morin Now really not at Alesis

As an aging "wanta be a full-time musician" kinda guy (who also knows Manilow from when he was on the radio), I just don't think I can sit back here at my computer and honestly say that he, Brittany or any others out there in the public eye and on radio "suck." Manilow, although the songs are dated and corny now, did do some great music, wrote many/most of his songs, sold a ton of records, and is/was a fine performer. My wife was intent on watching his recent television special and although I wasn't thrilled at first, I must admit I was entertained and actually enjoyed hearing the old songs. Now am I going to fork over any cash for a greatest hits collection by him, no way....but I appreciate his work. As for Brittany, N'Sync and the rest.....Just like Barry, I wouldn't buy their music, but I appreciate the talent they do have. They bring their own sound and show to the musical table which a bunch of people seems to appreciate and pay good $$$ to buy and go see. The way I see it is opposite of the "shit is shit is shit" post. I see is as "Talent is talent is talent". All these people have it and I appreciate their talent, though I wouldn't invest anything beyond that it 'em (though I have some vested memories of Barry and my young'uns loved the Backstreet Boys about three years ago.) They have accomplished much more with their musical talent than I can honestly say I have with mine----so I admire them all for that. 'nough said from me for now... BD
"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

This girl called Britney Spears come here to Brazil for a show some years ago. It was a fake, she almot could not lip sync her playback. If that is art... Barry Manillow has a good voice and his hits are much better than these garbage that MTV and big record comanies and other try to throw over people, like EMINEM, most of this boring north american RAP, these Britney clones, etc.

Eng. Alécio Costa

Producer/Recording Artist

http://br.geocities.com/studiodigitalp

I have to chime in on this too. You know me, I love to hear myself type. ;) As much as I groan over pop music, much of the stuff I like and admire is pop. Barry is quite a guy really, and everyone's already mentioned more than once his talents. When I'm surfing channels like I was last night and I saw Madonna, I paused and listened, and whether or not she was responsible for much of her music, it was really pretty good. Seriously, it's not like music finally came into being in the 90s. Much of the music of the 90s sucked royally. If you want to see me grab the remote and fire away, just put on some Manson or Snoop Dog. Half of Nine Inch Nails kills me too. On the other hand, the other half I think is just great, like The Fragile. Eh, I'm funny that way. :D
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Archived