Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Concert Recommendation - JLP/Clarke/Fleck or John Scofield

Re Che

Hello fellow bass players,

I cannot decide on which concert to attend. Jean-Luc Ponty will be playing with Stanley Clarke and Bela Fleck this upcoming August 19 at Saratoga Winery ( Saratoga,CA).

John Scofield will play at the SF Jazz festival, October 28 with his band. I think the theme is "THe music of Ray Charles". (Awesome tribute imho)

Now I am a huge fan of both artists. I listen to them alot.But the problem is I can only choose one to see. Im leaning towards Scofield because his phrasing and playing really interest me more than any other jazz guitarist( Sco and John Abercrombie are my favorites), but then again JLP/Clarke/Fleck are also very good. Which one would you guys recommend me seeing? Im an avid jazz player and listener so I listen to all forms of jazz from swing to post-bop to avante guarde. Thanks for any replies

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'd have to go see Scofield. The album is great and its got Steve Jordan, Larry Goldings and Willie Weeks on it. It would be great if they are on the tour. I don't know if they are, though.

I reccomend the Jean Luc, Stanley, Bela show because it is a more rare event. Scofield has blown me away each time I've seen him for sure, however, I went to the JLP, Stanley, Al DiMeola Rite of Strings reunion last year and cried like a baby. Can you say "School days on an Ovation"?
Never follow children, animals or Hare Krishnas!!

There is over 2 months separating them. Find a way to both. You are lucky to have this opportunity.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Upon further thinking, i have decided to go and see both JLP/Clarke/Fleck and John Scofield. There is a about 2 months separating them as Stackimo said, so i decided to watch them both. I'll probably post a review after each concerts.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived