Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Take a work sabbatical to pursue music education?

DJ-Wood

I am thinking of taking three months off work next year to enroll at Bass Tech in the UK. I am 29 years old, and I expect to have paid off all debts (from my previous stint in art education!) by this time next year.

I would be interested in hearing any pros and cons that any of you can think of. I would have to save enough money to cover three months off work (unpaid), plus the course tuition fees. I've never done anything like this before (when I was a student before, I had a grant plus student loan).

The amount of money could be used in other ways (I could put down the deposit to buy a home, or use the money to go travelling.)

I want to do this simply because I think I would enjoy it, and I do not expect to generate any income from it (I have no delusions of walking away with a recording contract etc.) I do expect to meet very committed people who I can learn intensely with in a professional way.

Has anyone else out there done anything similar to this who could share some experience?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you thought of doing a shorter course, up to a week or two long, to see what value you could realistically put on an extended version of the same?

Although I am self-taught when it comes to music, I believe in learning anything that it takes time to really get to grips with new ideas and internalise them. In my opinion this makes regular lessons with sufficient space in between, to both practise and apply the concepts in the real world, a more effective approach.

Could you learn more by throwing yourself in the deep end at some jam sessions?

Just some thoughts...

Alex

Hi Alex,

For about a year and a half I was studying on a Saturday class in bass musicianship, and often found myself thinking 'I'd like to do this everyday' - just to stretch myself over an extended period.

I've played and jammed with different people in a few different situations ... I guess I'm now looking for a more intense and more varied development on what I've done so far.

I don't know ... I'm between bands at the moment and looking to establish some new goals!

cheers for your advice,

Dave

Do it!

It's the sort of thing that you may miss out on if you don't do it now, you may look back one day.

If you don't, next thing you know you'll have a house and kids and a dog and you won't have the freedom to hide in a practice room for 3 months.

When you graduate you'll have more marketable chops and some contacts for gigs/recording jobs to help you recoup some of the expense.

- Matt W.

I suppose a question that needs to be asked, DJ, is what kind of work do you do? If you work true to your name (DJ), then I'd say go balls-to-the-wall and take the opportunity. I'd love to do the same but haven't got the opportunity to do so.

Look at how these three months will impact your entire life- personal enrichment, financial position, professional life, etc.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

It's good to be inspired enough to want to study, but how much debt are you looking at and how long will it take to repay?

My degree earns me money as a teacher, so the debt paid for itself, plus I was only 18 when I started, so it was part of life's big adventure.

I'm envious, though. I'd love to go back and study now. At 32 I think I'd get more out of study, particularly composition.

I got an education grant from a London livery company to spend four weeks studying in the States (LAMA - whose 1 year program is awesome).

I only qualified for the grant, though as I have been teaching in tough inner London schols for 15 years. It might be worth looking around to see if anything is available for younger folks though. Many institutions also offer scholarship or degrees of financial support (at least in the US).

I don't think you'd regret this - my sabbatical has improved my playing and musical enjoyment many times oveer.

The only thibg I'd mention is having discussed London music schools with some in America who have dealings with both US and UK schools; they have expressed serious doubts about the quality and organisation of UK music academies in comparison.

I've no experience of UK music academies though so others might be better placed to comment. My US experience was the best I could imagine.

Archived