Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick ups

UTS-D

So I have an ESP LTD F-205 that comes stock with EMG-40HZ (passive) and an onboard active EQ. I'm in the market to replace these with some pick ups that really growl. So far, my research has led me to believe that Bartolini's would be my best choice. Do you any of you have any more ideas and/or input?

Thanks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah,I guess you can say that my style is "hard rockin'". I've read that Bartolini's have great clarity with a low and low-mid growl, and that's what I'm looking for. My current pick ups tend to be more thin sounding.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the big difference between EMG and Bartolini?

I'm inclined to believe Bartolini rules in the growl department, and most of the others try to reproduce a tone reminiscent of the pickups they're cloning. DiMarzios make some real growlers (like the Model One pickup used by Billy Sheehan) but they probably require extra routing which you may not want.

The other possibilities are Carvin (H50N) and Alembic. What I think are common to all three brands is the use of alnico bar magnets. I could be wrong but EMGs tend to sound more like they're built with ceramic magnets; the newer "vintage-look" EMGs might be alnico magnets.

:wave:

I have limited experience with Bartolini's but I found that they really did better with a active circuit than as passives. Now of course they make many varieties and I only had the one set (jazz bass types, I can't remember which model). I ended up replacing them with Dimarzios and have been very happy with them.

I certainly don't want to turn you away from the Barts. I would suggest that you try to play a bass that has some and see what you think of them.

Let us know how your search goes.

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I concur with Barts - I have a Bart J in my fretless and EMG P/J in my fretted bass. The Bart really growls though a lot of that is down to being so close to the bridge. Choose a pickup with plenty of natural bottom so you can favour the bridge pickup heavily for maximum growl. Try to keep your EQ relatively flat for maximum purity but don't run the Bart passive as they haven't got enough ooomph to run a long cable without losing their top end.

Jack Read of Read Custom helped me choose the right pickup for my fretless and sells Bartolini at great prices - worth visiting readcustom.com and sending him an email.

Alex

Bart pups and pre in my warwick. Great sound, and it is very transparent. Kinda like a louder passive mode when set flat, but with a lot of versatility.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

imo EMG active pickups pretty much rule in the growl department.

I've always thought Bartolini's had a "phat" sound.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

"And young ATM was traumatized by the effects of being caught in a tree at such a young age.Thank I'm Newsreporter Alfredo Carneceria, Back to you Karen"
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Cough, see too sticks coming up from ground and it looks like the kid is holding some type of string that connects to them, cough

Cough, still don't get it, cough.

DANG IT!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR ATM, 34 years young, and enjoying every minute!!!

Look for a sadowsky in the mail, hopefully somebody else sent you one, CUZ IM BROKE!!!!!

Happy belated birthday and sorry for not cacgin on earlier!

We still have time Alex, but what with shipping charges, we might be better off sending you a euro bass, or maybe ebs should make a birthday kit filled with all the tools and toys of the trade ;)

Archived