Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Michael Manring, Bass Day 98

DJ-Wood

Hello,

On the Bass Day 98 DVD, Michael Manring performs the track 'Teen Town'. He uses pedals that allow him to record samples of himself playing in real time, and then solos over the top.

My question is, does anyone know what sampling pedals he used, or do any of you have personal experience / preferences that you could share?

Many thanks,

Dave

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he used a Boomerang, not 100% sure though.

The Line6 DL-4 is easy to use and loops up to 28 seconds in half-speed. I like my DL-4, it does a nice job of looping and delay.

The Boss Looper does something like 5 minutes with storage and undo functions but is less foot friendly. Someone here has one, but it escapes me who.

Any modern computer can run multitrack recording software which will allow you to create elaborate 'looped' bass compositions. I recently found a free 16 track program which looks pretty nifty. Obviously for live use a pedal is a better bet but at home I do most of my writing and recording with just a bass, mic and computer.

Alex

Actually, Michael used, and still uses, two Lexicon JamMan units sync'd via MIDI. The JamMan is a discontinued device but, Digitech, whose parent company Harman now owns both the trademark and technolopgy of the JamMan (as well as Lexicon it self), has just issued a JamMan in pedal form. The pedal looks pretty cool. It is a pretty straightforward looping device (without all the techniques and possibilities found in units like the Gibson EDP or Electrix Repeater) but it does have both 1/4" and and XLR inputs, and stores loops on flash memory cards....and it has a loop time of...get this...something like 6.5 hours! And can store 99 loops in memory for recall. All in all it does sound pretty cool, and list for only $300.

I use a JamMan which I had modified by Bob Sellon, who invented the device, and mine does a few things the original JamMan could not. I recently sold my DL4, but am considering getting another...they are rather cool boxes!...but am also lookig at either the new Digitech JamMan or the Boss RC20xl to round out my looping options which grew by a quantum leap with the recent arraival of anew Gibson EDP+.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Vic Wooten was using a Boss RC20XL when he came to do a clinic in Utah. It was borrowed, but he indicated that it was "the new version" of the one he had been using. Seemed to work out pretty well for him.

Archived