Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best stand alone rhythm section

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what little I've heard by them, I'd also be inclined to say "Sly & Robbie". But davio, Jaco & Portnoy would be interesting :D

Also, this is perhaps a lesser known rhythm section, but Benjy Reid of Snowdogs (I'd post a URL but their website is missing ...) and one of my favourite people on this earth, and a damn fine bass player also, Steve Dunning make one helluva team.

Both play with John Lawton (of Uriah Heep fame) and usually during the encores Steve gets a solo and is supported by Benjy, after which Benjy continues the solo, supported by Steve :) Always a pleasure seeing those guys have a go at it.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by Bass_in_August:

Victor wooten and his brother Future man

Sooooo good

SO true

Victor and Steve Smith, i like VTT material

Jaco/ Alex Acuna

Victor and Carter Beauford

David Garibaldi & Rocco Prestia. Yummy.

For a little more subtlety, Benny Benjamin & James Jamerson.

And for in-yer face gonzo shredding, Lenny White & Stanley Clarke.

But to choose just one pair, has to be the boys from TOP...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Some great one's listed, I'll add Tim Bogert and Carmine Appice - a great duo that has been together forever. Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, Beck Bogert Appice...some great stuff from those two.

Also Billy Cox and Buddy Miles - gutbucket soul

or

Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell - IMO they backed Jimi on his best stuff

Danny Carey playing the way he does in hi zepelling tribute band, but with jpj on his 8, 10, and 12 strings!
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I'd have to say (in no particular order):

1.) Duff McKagan and Steve Adler from G 'n' R. I learned more about the bass player/drummer relationship from those two than anyone.

2.) JPJ and John Bonham. 'Nuf said.

3.) Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Still trying to figure those two out as a unit.

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

Originally posted by kenfxj:

Ox & Moon...Sounds like a pub.

I'll be looking them up in the next world, and I hope they do open a pub with cold-running Guiness draft! :D

rooster, good pick with Duff/Steve Adler. Matt Sorum may be a more technically proficient drummer, but his playing always sounded plodding to me, whereas Adler's playing was looser and swung the band much more. IMHO, G 'n' R turned into just another crappy metal band after Adler and Izzy Stradlin left.

hmmmm..interesting.

Sly and Robbie for sure. A lot of other really good choices as well...

Elvin Jones and Mike Garrison?

(or how about Elavin Jones and Dave Holland?)

And, I remember a very short lived project which featured Jonas Hellborg and Ginger Baker.

I always thought that Bill Laswell and Zakir Hussein have a natural dialogue about them.

And always likied the (recorded) sound of Michael Manring and Tim "Herb" Alexander.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Archived