Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Look what I found. All scared, lonely....

DONUT

...and waiting to die in the corner of a Music Go Round.

O.K. No big deal, but I'm happy.

I was thinking today about how I might find a "sleeper" if I look at one of the tried and true lower cost basses like Ibanez and Yamaha. You know, a couple of decent hunks of wood bolted together that I can do stuff to, like pull the frets and coat the fingerboard or Try out some new pickups that I'm curious about. I knew that Music GOo Round had a Yamaha BBG5 that has been there for years so I went up there to try it out. It was alot worse than I remember. But I did find this lil' guy.

I never really planned on buying a 6, but this just felt good. Sounds good, too. The pickups are kind of weak, but the tone is pretty cool. Its an SR406. Probably the cheapest 6 they make if they still make them, but its really nice! Its not going to give my Lulls a run, but its really quite a bass. Its got a repaired crack from the G string tuner to the first fret and its petty beat up and missing a knob. Great! Big deal! They had it almost hidden in the corner and it had enough DNA on it to clone somebody. They wanted $369. I got it for $250 with a fresh battery. Took it home, fed it, cleaned it up, now it won't leave me alone.

Damn! I'm a 6 stringer!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v432/hzdonut/th_IM007837.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep that's the problem...

Aww poor little half starved puppy, cute little guy. So you rescue him, bring him home, feed 'em up, give 'em some love and all of a sudden he grows up and turns out to be a 250lb St. Bernard who takes up the entire sofa and still thinks that laying on your lap is just hunky dory! :D

Congrats on the new axe! :thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

DONUT, you're just lucky I wasn't lurking around that store on that day. ;)

You'll have a great time with it, I'm certain. And if you decide to spring on an upgrade (I don't usually recommend passive setups, but...) consider Bartolinis and a new bridge. Don't forget the Straploks while you're at it. The rest of the hardware will hold up OK.

Hope you two spend many great and productive years together! :thu:

Nice.

It was a midnight blue SR-405 for CAN$700 (new - plus a great payment plan with the local guitar shop, whom I knew) that was responsible for me getting back into playing, and I haven't stopped since.

They do play and sound great. Throw some quality strings on. I use Ernie Balls on it and GHS flats on a SR485 (which is in the process of being defretted - will try Roto Jazz flats). I imagine Barts or Seymours would be a great improvement. Next, if you really dig the bass, new preamp...My main bass these days is a 98 MIM Jazz5 with Roto Swings. That bass is getting the Barts - real soon.

Enjoy that 6!

Originally posted by TylerlovesAva:

But it's missing a knob... :D

I know a store that has a couple of these they might dust off and sell one day.

http://cargobay.starwars.com/misc/music/knob_vader.jpg

- Matt W.

I'm looking forward to seeing this bass with a defreted and coated board, some aero pickups, maybe a john east pre, oh yea and and airbrushed picture of a naked lady...thatd be nice.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I spent some time playing it and messing with it last night and today and I think its going it for a fingerboard trueing and coating. It kind of has that thing where the b string is sort of dead sounding even though its tight feeling. And its wooly and bad above 5/7ish. Bad overtones. I tried a stepwound and the overtones get worse. The bridge is bending and pulling up, so a new one is in order. I still haven't decided about the pickups. I like the tone, its just really weak and boosting the preamp makes it a little blurry. I like Barts and don't have a bass with them right now so mabe I'll do that sometime. Actually, if anybody has an idea for a good, strong passive humbucker, I'd rather try that.

These are just small coplaints, though. I'm gonna gig it on wed. and maybe next weekend if it behaves. Did these really sell for around $800 in 2000? I think its about the best $250 I've ever spent. I'm having fun with the C string, too.

Aero pickups? HHHmmm. I might have to check out some info on those. I have knobs, so I'll put the one that looks most like it doesn't belong on there. :D

Bassline has a phase 2 passive soapbar.

Aero is the company that makes lakland's dj bass' pickups as well as foderas pickups. I've heard that they sound pretty strong and modern as well..which makes sense considering. Barts would be a cool choice too.

If you can find them, lane poor pickups are supposed to be the sheezy. They'd be a great choice on a six too.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

LOL- I scrolled down, saw the photo, and knew immediately that is was the extra-stringed brother of my own bass. Treat it well- its very smooth...

(I've actually got the "Very Smooth" sticker from a bottle of Paul Masson Brandy placed tastefully on the headstock)

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Archived