Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS relieved

wraub

So, after a bit of research into my actual needs at present, and the offerings of the market that fall in my narrow financial window of opportunity, I bought a power amp.

I got a Peavey DPC 750, mainly because it's all the power I need right now, it fits my weight/size needs, and the price was right.

Currently running my Grand Prix pre into the Peavey into an Avatar 1x12, 400 watts mono. Clean to the point of being hi-fi (enough for me, anyway). Zero apparent distortion, the best I have sounded in years. I am hearing parts of my apt. building rattling I have never heard do so before.

As a bonus, I can come amazingly close to sounding like I know what I am doing. :) Gobs of sweet tone. Clear, crisp, full and articulate, even across the range.

Stereo is 350 per at 4 Ohms, or 700 bridged at 8. Power amp is 12 pounds, pre is 5.

I will likely acquire another cabinet at some point, as needs dictate.

I am content for now.

What's that? You want a pic?

OK... :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/R&H3000/Copyofmeters035.jpg

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it nice to have a small, good sounding rig that didn't cost an arm and a leg? I have giged my new little rig a couple of times and so far it has been all I need.

I now use an Eden WT-550 with my Bergantino HT112. It sounds nice and full, so far I've had plenty of volume, and it's easy to haul around.

To make load in and out easier, I have a milk crate for the stands, cords, TU-2 and BDDI. It also doubles a a "stand" for my rig to get it up off the floor a bit.

When will they learn you don't NEED to have all that stuff for a good sounds.

Ace, Fred- Thanks. It is indeed light and sleek, and sounds great. Not "the best gear" I have played ever through, but the best sounding gear I have ever owned, by far. At this point, my out-of-pocket cash cost for all is just over $400.00. :cool: There were a couple of pieces sold as well.

I do love a bargain...

Steve, it is indeed a nice thing. Small, efficient, and powerful. The thing I like the most is that it sounds just like my bass does unplugged, just a lot louder.

I like your set-up, but I may be not be able to justify a Bergie for a bit.

Oh, and I do dig that Wendler, too.

And I hear ya about the volume thing, too. 400 watts is plenty loud for me for most things, even with the 1x12.

Although I could really see having some fun with a 4x10 in a louder rock setting.

I will probably add a second cab at some point, but i am unsure right now what that might be.

More updates as I continue to annoy the neighbors...

If anyone sees a good deal on a 2 space rack case, please let me know. :D

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by wraub:

If anyone sees a good deal on a 2 space rack case, please let me know.

What am I missing here? You work with wood, right? And in your warehouse, you can't find a bit of metal shelf framing (angled steel with holes)? It sounds like 4 boards, angled steel to hold it together, angled steel to form the rack. OK - spend real money for a quart of glossy black paint....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom- While I respect both your perspicacitude and your ingeniousnessosity, I have neither the time or inclination to build a rack. Rest assured, though, that if I were to do so, I would buy real money-costing paint.

The thought did actually cross my mind, for a minute or so. Then I went back to playing... :)

Peace,

wraub

I will likely acquire another cabinet at some point, as needs dictate.

Nice setup!

Get another Avatar (SB112?) 1x12.

1. It acts as an identical backup to your existing cab.

2. Assuming you have (and get) an 8-ohm version, you can combine them for a 4-ohm mono, 2x12 sound. (Or maybe the Peavey can deal with having two 4-ohm cabs?)

3. But wait! That's not all! :idea: You can also run them in STEREO! (Well, your bass probably doesn't output stereo, so unless you have an FX box that does, this isn't too exciting.) Of course, you never know when you need to hook up your stereo/cdplayer/etc. to something kinda loud ... to your neighboring apartment dwellers' absolute delight! :eek:

Oh, you seem to be missing the prerequisite milk crate. What's up with that? :)

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

Get another Avatar (SB112?) 1x12.

(Or maybe the Peavey can deal with having two 4-ohm cabs?)

[/QB]

Yes, the Peavey will do 2 4 Ohm cabs at 350W per. Mono at 4 ohm is 400W, or 700W bridged at 8 Ohm.

And I was considering another Avatar SB112, actually. That would give me two 4 Ohm cabs. It's a nice sounding box, crossover issues aside.

IMO, perhaps the best bass cab Dave makes.

And I recently found a guy on TalkBass who makes an improved crossover (fourth order) that just drops in. :)

I was King of the milkcrate back in the days when a car was required to move my stuff. I think we used 6-8. And that's not even counting the, ahem, dozens that made up the majority of my furniture at the time.

Grocery stores feared me. :D

I have most of what I need to carry consolidated to a backpack at this point.

But I can definitely see a need developing for one as a handy means of raising the cab.

When I put it on the backpack it just sits funny, and not much higher at all.

Bump- Thanks. I think so too.

JBFLA- thanks for the Yoda stylee. :)

Doctor- indeed.

Peace,

wraub

Nice. :D

Those settings on the GP look familiar. Aural Enhance @ 10 o'clock is a nice sound - I don't know what's with the manual suggesting 2 o'clock, goodbye audibility on stage! A while back I turned the Aural Enhancer right off and it's stayed that way ever since.

I too have heard very good things about the tb 4th order crossover upgrade - definitely worth doing!

Alex

Alex, Yeah, those settings should look familiar. When I got the GP, most of my online digging led me back to your review- most helpful, thank you.

I also have dabbled with the Aural Enhancer setting, and a little does go a long way. :) The GP sounds so good flat I don't really want to add anything to it, but at lower apartment volume settings, the AE adds a nice flava'.

I am definitely looking into acquiring that crossover, but, again, I am pretty content for the time being.

Now... for the accessories! :)

Peace,

wraub

Tom- While I respect both your perspicacitude and your ingeniousnessosity, I have neither the time or inclination to build a rack. Rest assured, though, that if I were to do so, I would buy real money-costing paint.

The thought did actually cross my mind, for a minute or so. Then I went back to playing... :)

Peace,

wraub

paint? with our skills? no no no, that won't do. it's al about the exotics and tung oil.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I considered exotics, oil, and your skills. Cases get banged around, and I though you'd need a harder finish than oil. I also knew that time and money were an issue, so I gave the boy a break. What I really wanted to see was koa around the front of the case, with alternating flame maple, mahogany, and purpleheart (stained purple) for the rest of the case - maybe 4 inch strips. Keep the true exotics and the walnut for when you make speaker cabs ;)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

wraub, how does your Avatar 112 handle your low B string? Looks like a nice, light, and "less expensive" set up -- gets me thinking...

It sounds like we were thinking the same on this one. :)

It handles it quite well, actually.

Tight and controlled, no flop or fart-out at all.

I have a long history of 15" speaker cabs, but I have really come to prefer the sound of a 12".

All the best qualities of a 15" and 10" in some ways IMO.

I am seriously considering getting another SB112, throwing that crossover mod I mentioned in an earlier post in both, and settling in for fun and games.

I really do think, based on the info on talkbass, that the mod could be a good idea for these cabs, and, apparently, Avatar bass cabs in general. The ones I have dealt with have a pronounced lack of definition in the tweeter, and mine I use with the tweeter rolled off completely.

But it sounds great just like that, so the mod can wait.

Again, I am pleased with the purchase of the cab, and Dave has been great to deal with.

Peace,

wraub

• 3 months later...

Now that this rig has had time to ferment, how do you like it now? Mo' betta', the same, more critical?

Curious to know what you've learned about the sound you can get from it now that it's been stewing longer.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived