Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are you paying for when you buy software?

This whole Apple/Emagic debacle has me wondering: When we buy a software app, are we buying all the future updates as well? This must be the thinking of most of us, because otherwise the Logic PC users would still have exactly what they paid for, which is apparently a very capable piece of software. In 1993 when we started buying ADATs, I don't think anyone ever thought that they were buying the 20-bit and 24-bit future versions as well; what you bought was what you got. And now that ADATs are basically out of production, it doesn't make the already in use ones useless...I know many people that will continue to use them for years. I do understand the frustration of Logic PC users...I'd just like to hear some thoughts on how much we expect from a software purchase. Later, kc

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This past week I had to place the diverter in my shower, a sayco brand. Now this diverter (to divert the water from the tub to the shower head) was some 50 years old. And I was able to go to the store and get a new one, no prob. Sayco still produces/supports 50 year old parts.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

kc, > When we buy a software app, are we buying all the future updates as well? < You raise a good point, and it is true that when you buy something it will still work even if the company stops supporting it. But there's an important omission: New versions of computer operating systems are released every year or two, and often older programs do not work with the new versions. Likewise, new computers often do not work with older versions. So if you invest a substantial amount of money in a computer program, it's not unreasonable to expect it to work for a long time, and on future computers. At the minimum you should be able to upgrade for a fee to a newer version which can import your existing projects. In fact, this is one of my biggest objections to software copy protection. Companies stop updating older programs all the time, and even the biggest go out of business. If you buy a DAW program that use a challenge / response code and the company goes away, you will never [i]ever[/i] be able to open any of your projects again unless you keep the same computer forever and the hard drive never breaks. --Ethan

[quote]Originally posted by Ethan Winer: [QBIn fact, this is one of my biggest objections to software copy protection. Companies stop updating older programs all the time, and even the biggest go out of business. If you buy a DAW program that use a challenge / response code and the company goes away, you will never [i]ever[/i] be able to open any of your projects again unless you keep the same computer forever and the hard drive never breaks. --Ethan[/QB][/quote]That's why I have no moral quams about gettng a crack. I buy the app but ALWAYS get a crack if it's copy protected. IF you read the license you'll notice you have ablsolutly rights at all. Another beef about this Apple/Emagic deal is that most of the things that don't work correctly in Logic 5.0 won't work correctly in 5.02 so the PC customers will never get what they pay for.

[quote]Originally posted by Ethan Winer: [QBIn fact, this is one of my biggest objections to software copy protection. Companies stop updating older programs all the time, and even the biggest go out of business. If you buy a DAW program that use a challenge / response code and the company goes away, you will never [i]ever[/i] be able to open any of your projects again unless you keep the same computer forever and the hard drive never breaks. --Ethan[/QB][/quote]That's why I have no moral quams about gettng a crack. I buy the app but ALWAYS get a crack if it's copy protected. IF you read the license you'll notice you have ablsolutly rights at all. Another beef about this Apple/Emagic deal is that most of the things that don't work correctly in Logic 5.0 won't work correctly in 5.02 so the PC customers will never get what they pay for.

Archived