Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS relief (new member of the 'Family')

JBFLA

Even tho' it's not here yet (ETA next week), I'm really excited about this one.

Made by Karl Hoyt - whose work I've admired for some time now - it was designed, and is tuned, 'E' to 'C'.

This will be new to me, as will be the addition of a piezo undersaddle transducer. Exploring new stuff is good!

:thu:

Some specs:

Claro Walnut top and back

Cocobolo unlined fingerboard

Chambered Mahogany core

Lawrence P'ups

Bart active blender circuit (for the piezo)...

It's a beaut!!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgD1AtcWbWPZ!QKA0Y5epGerpJVlhhvt2gL9mAedM1FLR7L1OoSmRnyDkJ*gBHI1O1fRdvKmvE5US5TFg!ep4S0hmudbccleJydBrI4PYCaukDQ3ckKXww/Hoyt1.jpg

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgD1AtkW9WPPeZUfiBLFUbX9irp8q*B1rJDIfS04VIZ1!h!FqIIslGfc39Rxv8SUmWaqVGnKohM8WY9R3Fx4za!vBwl0Smsm!rGD0HLiQ0zJjKWhC69U7w/Hoyt3.jpg

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDtAtsWfWQ13ofZxLsjDdaR*tyFLd8XYkJ6y6wtccTSCFwnbJAc0IDc2YlQdv87a7PS*Fee7LZoXGScySpUotFAUvIn7Hy142bOlUOypMGgZYmUvfC8GA/Hoyt5.jpg

Any musical recommendations for me to attempt (and I use that term VERY loosely) on this bass?

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy Guacamole!!!

That bass is beautiful. Man, I am envious!

I always admired the Basses mr HOyt built for Bob and Mark Gollihur. That Abg he built Bob is a work of art. Those are some choice woods too. I bet it sounds warm, crisp, and very round and earthy as well. That bridge is super cool as well. Karl Hoyt defintely seems to be a master luthier.

I've always liked the idea of a 5 string with a high c string, even more so than a 5 string with a low b. I believe that some explorations of Steve Swallow and Victor Wooten's work is due.

Victor uses a fodera tenor bass, as well some some 5 string tuned e to c I believe. Steve Swallow uses a 5 string with a high c built by Harvey citron. It also features piezo transducer's. He geta marvelous, and very crytaline tones out of his bass. I would recommend a listen to his song "ad infinitum" With Carla Bley. He exhibits beautiful interplay with the piano n this song. He covers some head in the higher register, transitioning to some doubling with the piano, seguing into some nice tones below as the piano covers the solos and heads. It's really amazing how he utilizes all of his bass' registers on this song, making the song that much fuller. When I first showed my teacher, an accomplished guitarist and bass player, this song it took him a minute to figure it out.

"I though you said this was a bassist and a piano player, Are you sure there isn't a guitar player too"?

......"Oh, I get it now".

So, what do each of the controls on that bass do? Man, it's really gorgeous! Congratulations!!!

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Thanks Matt! (...already listening for the big brown truck...)

Mr. ATM - No, the car will be packed for the gig later that night - no room.

Of course, I could bring it and leave it with you guys so I wouldn't have to unload/reload it at the gig... nahhhh.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

musicfiend -

The controls are stacked volumes for the Lawrence P'ups and stacked passive tone/active blend. It is a passive bass - the active Bart blend is a buffer to better mix/match the piezo with the magnetic p'ups. That's how it was explained to me. I have my work cut out for me. It's all good.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Oh yeah, the rest of us Floridians would be more than happy to break it in for you. A week Davio in Tampa, week in Brandenton with JD, two in Ft. Myers (Stackimo, then me) back to Orlando to let Mr. Bordwell go over it, over to the East Coast so Spookykid and bikertrash have a good look, then it should be in great shape for you!

ATM

It is gorgeous. My wife just walked by, and for the briefest of moments I thought I'd show it to her, but then she'd just feel guilty 'cause she would want to buy it for me.

Someone will have to explain to me the 9 magnet pickup on a 5 string bass, 'cause I don't understand.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Sounds Like a good setup. I've always really liked passive electronics. They always seem to have much more punch while sounding more organic to me. Good luck trying to tame the beast :thu:
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

Someone will have to explain to me the 9 magnet pickup on a 5 string bass, 'cause I don't understand.

It seems that the four lowest strings have two magents each as a standard j bass but the high c string has one magnet, lok from the rpespective of the seconf pic and it should make sense.

Dave B. - It hasn't been explained to me either, yet...I'll let you know when I find out the definitive answer.

I'm guessing a Spinal Tapish "goes to Eleven' thing??

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I have passive electonics on my Wendler as well. Just 2 knobs, volume and blend for the magnetic and piezo pups. Simple and elegant. Very natural sound.

I like passive more and more. While my main bass is my Bart active 5, I still wouldn't mind a nice passive P bass.

That's nice. I played one of Bob G's Hoyts - they have a small, compact feel that makes you want to keep them in your hands. Well made and sound great also!!

The 9 pole pieces is to reduce the volume of the C string, which is not really a bass string

It's a beauty - is that a maple layer on top of the chambered body?

Enjoy!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks everyone. I really can't wait for her to get here.

re: 9 pole piece P'ups - from what I've learned (and I haven't spoken with Mr. Hoyt), this was something he worked on and developed. He spec'd out the P'up specifically for this app. Un-orthodox maybe, but it works in a big way. The previous owner assures me that this bass kicks some kinda boo-tay. I trust him implicitly.

re: the bridge - As with anything Mr. Hoyt does, this piece was done (I'm sure) with great attention to detail and being succesful in its' application. Personally, I think it adds to the uniqueness of the instrument.

Davio - Be nice!! I may just bring it Saturday just to see you drool... but it WILL be leaving with me!

Tom C. - Yep that's a sweet slice of maple 'twixt the walnut and mahagony core. Nice touch, eh?

Fred the bass player - Does she have sisters?

- Warning!!! Count to 10, and ask yourself if you REALLY want to know the answer...

Yep she does. In fact she has a twin. Almost identical except for some narrow ingots of nickel that run vertically along a horizontal neck.

She's stunning.... and yes, they are real.

I don't know where the 'Twin' is now, but I remember when their pics were first posted how I lusted after them...

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Did you meet Karl in person or do this all by phone and email?

I'd really like to meet him, he seems like he'd be fun to hang with.

I once was staying on Cape Cod with my family and kept trying to figure out how to sneak away for a few hours and visit him (at the other end of the cape) and never managed. Then when I got home I found out that he was teaching instrument making at a high school which I rode my bike by every day on the way to the beach.

I'd love to hear some more stories about Woogie Fritzmeyer, I understand that Karl is his personal luthier.

It's about time that the Lowdown heard a little of the legend of Woogie.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

It's about time that the Lowdown heard a little of the legend of Woogie.

:confused:

Do tell!

JBFLA,

Sorry I'm late to the party, that is an absolutely beautiful bass you got there my man!

Congrats!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived