Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shameless gigSPAM, once more

wraub

The Place: The Continental (what can I say, they love us there :) )

The Time: Saturday, June 18, 8:45 pm

The band: Custard Wally (wipe that smirk off your face, please. )

The story: So, the club once again called us to cover for a band that dropped their gig. Word is, they liked our last set there, lots.

I only hope we don't screw things up. :) (knock on wood) :D

Come one and all, if you dare. Seriously, we need the bodies. It's a Saturday, so there's nothing much pending the next day, and it's early enough you could come see us and still go and hear a real band afterwards.

Bring a date, because the guys in the band are spoken for.

Except for the guitarist, but you could do better.

Trust me.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crap, I'll be out of town. And I've sworn to Ace that my next LDL gig visitation would be a Blue Winter show.

It's the night before my birthday. I'd ask you to dedicate a song to me in honor of my birthday, but I've heard the lyrics to much of your band's repertoire and I'm not sure I want one of those marvelously witty tunes played in my honor...

However, if you have a moment to visit Mr. Sadowsky, I'd appreciate it if you'd put in a good word for me and see if he'd gift me one of those nice Metros...

Have a slammin' gig.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

there's a strong possibility mr wraub. Mr zealot himself will be the big 2-1 on the 11th, so i will be able to stare the bouncer in the face as i try to get in this time.

Is there a particular dress code for this place? I forgot what i wore the last time when i tried to get in.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

congradultaions g-5. welcome to the big boys club. now you have no excuse for not showing up. a good player to see live for your first lowdown show.

dress code? continental? no.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

GZ5 - very cool !!!! Happy B-Day :thu:

Sorry - have a prev commitment.

Hey - you Custard guys should write a song based on that old "penguin with car trouble" joke. It sounds like it would fit your "style".

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Shameless? true.. no shame is involved.. It's better to be out there than playing at home like me.. And I'm only playing out of the guilt I feel for my neglected loved one... How can I feel the bass so deeply in my heart and have it in my hands less than 20 hours a day.. now THAT'S a shame.

Although it doesn't apply to me personally, maybe we should have a sticky thread for gig promotion. I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this... perhaps we need to have a minimum post count to qualify. Then again we pobably wouldn't take a newbie too seriously anyway...

Kudos to all you out there that are making it happen on a regualar bassis, be it a gig or not.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Feelin the luv, good Doctor, thanks. Rest assured we have nothing in our bag of tunes that could ever come close to encapsulating the effervescence of your presence. :D

Have a totally shweet B-Day!

Definitely see the BW in action. E brings the rocque in a mighty fashion, and the band is solid.

Jason, that is indeed good news. While I am quite sure you could do better as an occasion to join the 21 club, I would be honored to have you there.

We'll approach the bouncer together, you from the front while I work around from the starboard flank, and...

Sorry about that.

As Ace says, there is no dress code at the Conti.

I am not sure there are really any rules there at all. :D

Tom- it's all good. That does sound similar to the general "tone" of the band, although most seals are safe from us. I am pretty sure that "style" is a broad misnomer for whatever we have, or do, or whichever.

butcherNburn- Seriously, I hear you. It's all I can do to keep from dragging my bass to work in the mornings. Good bass players are still in demand, you sound like you have the skillz. I know you are dedicated, you will find your thing. Or just "a thing".

You just have to get out there.

Do it. Jack and Tab. Do it. :D

Incidentally, I think that, "How can I feel the bass so deeply in my heart and have it in my hands less than 20 hours a day.. now THAT'S a shame." needs to be somebody's sig line.

Maybe yours?

Graham- We'll see you next time. :thu:

Thanks all.

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by wraub:

As Ace says, there is no dress code at the Conti.

I am not sure there are really any rules there at all. :D

I thought Ace was responsible for the only rule at that venue - no calling out "Freebird" :wink:

Originally posted by wraub:

I am pretty sure that "style" is a broad misnomer for whatever we have, or do, or whichever.

Which is why I put it in quotes (along with the failure to find a more precise term.

While seals may be safe, I wouldn't eat an ice cream in front of your band...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

And you say that without apparently even realising that the first album was called "Have A Lick", and featured a rather phallic ice cream cone on the cover.

I was not in the band then.

True story.

Peace,

wraub

bump?

CONTINENTAL is located at:

25 Third Avenue (between St. Marks Place & 9th St.)

New York, NY 10003

(212) 529-6924

DIRECTIONS BY SUBWAY:

- 6 train to Astor Place and walk one block East to Third

jason

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Alright, I'll counter that with an update:

Apparently, there is a $5 cover, of which I was unaware previously.

If this negatively impacts the plans to attend of anyone, I apologise.

Peace,

wraub

again, that drummer is a stud. must be nice to not have to do anything but play.

the magnificent debbie was also once again in attendance doing her promotional thing.

wraub once commented that i "sell it" on stage, and that he doesn't look like he's having as much fun as i do. well, that's because wraub is smoooooooooove. like peanut butter wif no chunks. it must be nice to be that relaxed and confident on stage.

i'm proud to say i bought our newest addition to Legal Drinking Age Club a beer.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Custard Wally played some good stuff. Very tight. Especially the low end. Wraub would lead you to believe otherwise, but the only thing that i noticed was that his high mids and his highs were being eaten up. So some of his stuff that was designed to add melodic intricacies to the song were only heard by those that had open ears to the bass.

After the gig, myself, benloy, getz76, ace and wraub hung around outside to talk. Interesting range of topics to say the least. This was my first time meeting mr loy and maury, so overall it was a good night...good times had by all.

here are some pics.

wraub in action

http://web.mit.edu/jatkins/Public/wraubshow/wraubthumb2.JPG

wraub in more action

http://web.mit.edu/jatkins/Public/wraubshow/wraubthumb1.JPG

crazy guy who played air guitar, worshipped custard wally's lead guitarist and actually took the mic during a guitar solo and let out a very fitting shreek. Surprisingly, the guitarist didn't seem to mind to much.

http://web.mit.edu/jatkins/Public/wraubshow/crazyguythumb.JPG

jason "thankful for the corona that ace got him" atkins

edit: ben is much taller than posted pictures let on.

Soli Deo Gloria

My YouTube Channel

Yes, Ben, just like Conan.

But, in a goatee and a t-shirt. :)

Hey all.

I consider this an off night, for a variety of reasons. Too many, actually.

Ace is again too kind. I wish I felt that I looked as comfortable as he says I do. Someday, maybe...

As for playing smoooooove-

It takes one to know one. :)

Jason is correct about the mix at the club, based on the videotape.

He's correct again about the height thing. Actually, I did notice that all of the assembled group was about the same height, with the exception of your humble narrator. :D

Always the exception...

It was great to see the guys there, it made the night easier to take.

Although, I was remiss in not introducing my lovely wife to the group. She has heard the names and forum stories for years, and she was looking forward to putting names to faces.

I am a loser.

Thanks to all for coming out. :thu:

Peace,

wraub

p.s.

Never assume the guitarist has tuned his guitar.

Archived