Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my mind is officially blown

The Fonz

so i was at guitar center to buy a cabinet. as i'm waiting for the guy to bring my choice out from the stock room, i hear in the drum room the most awesome drummer. psycho polyrhythmic fills spliced between the evilest grooves laced around tighten-ups. layer upon layer of funk dripping beats. i stood there surrounded by five other bass players, including the sales guys, for a good fifteen minutes watching the most awesome drummer we'd ever seen, jaws on the floor.

the drummer was 11.

his dad tried to enter him in guitar centers drum contest in larchmont but there was only one other contestant in his age group. they heard him play and they put him in the all ages group and won. he's going to be in the manhattan guitar center drum contest. i suggest that as a nyc lowdown gathering. you HAVE to see this kid.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i know a kid like that that goes to my school. been playing drums since he was three and he has some really insane skills.
"You don't get burnt out from going too fast, you get burnt out from going too slow and getting bored"-Cliff Burton

It just came to me again, I did once see a really young kid - must've been about 11 or 12 too - play the guitar like I really heard very few people play it.

Then he turned it around and played left-handed, upside down. And it sounded just as fantastic. I was jealous :cry:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Thats awesome. I went to the drum competition at guitar center in Southfield, MI about 2001 or 2000. There was a kid who was 8 years old and he made the top 5. His dad had won the competition the previous year, that was one proud papa. Actually a 16 year old won the local comp that year.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Every couple of years I get my mind handed to me at GC watching a teenager playing Berlin, Jaco, Clarke or Wooten riffs. Yeah, I know it's not quantity but quality, but still I envy these young Turks and wish I could keep up with them.

Perhaps some of them are right here on this Forum. :eek:

I heard some insane prog-metal coming out of a coffeehouse in downtown Jackson one night - incredible chops and really in the full-on groove of it all. Turned out to be 3 kids. The drummer was 13, and he was the oldest.

Amazing.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

So that's the drummer I was hearing while auditioning an OLP John Petrucci, and an Epiphone Les Paul (gut-tars)? I was there around oh... 3:00 ish or so.

Yeah, whatever that was, it rocked! :thu:

that was you? ordering a gig bag?
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Yeah, I met that kid, and I played in a band with him ... back in 1977. :o (He and his younger brother both started playing when they were 3 or 4.)

Nothing against the 2005 crop. Good luck to him and I hope he finds what he wants in life. If he wants to be a professional drummer, the GC competition can't hurt (for the exposure). Even the 1990 Star Search 8yo darling Britney didn't break out right after her appearance on the show; her first single wasn't released until 1998.

(The kid I played with ended up getting married fairly young and having kids. In what little spare time he had, he taught drums at the local music store. Haven't heard from him in at least 10 years. Maybe he's the proud Southfield papa? Actually, Tony's kids would probably be older.)

Archived