Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solicitation for research subjects.

ClarkW

Hi gang.

I'm working on a practice method which I will hopefully (if it ever gets finished to a point I'm proud of it) release into the public domain. This might take a while, because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm fairly thorough.

What I'm looking for is a few individuals of varying levels of committment to help me test out an early incarnation of this method. This particular section of the method is dedicated to improving individual finger dexterity on the fretting hand, and works for bass and guitar players alike.

I'd like to get a few people that fall into the following categories:

1) Dedicated practitioner, perhaps professional or semi-professional, who practices or gigs more than 1-2 hours a day (or 10 hours a week).

2) Casual (but possibly gigging) musician who practices at least every other day for 30 minutes to an hour (or about 3 hours a week).

3) Absolute beginner who can muster the discipline to at least do 10 minutes a day of practice.

Compensation: Recognition and thanks, and hopefully some improvement in your playing abilities. I'm not in this for the money, so I can't afford to pay anyone. Sorry.

Additional requirements: I would like anyone interested in participating to be able to offer me somewhat regular (2-4 times a month) updates on their improvement, both from an objective and subjective standpoint. Examples:

"Clark, things are going good. I'm sticking to the program, doing about 30 minutes a day, and I'm up to 120 bpm. I've also noticed that one difficult run I had in one of my band's songs is pretty much cake now, compared with 3 months ago."

"Clark, this sucks. I practice, but I honestly have little motivation to go through your exercises. I'll do them maybe once a week, so I'm only up to 105 bpm. I've tried going much faster, like 140 bpm, but I couldn't do it and I couldn't imagine myself spending the 5 or 6 weeks playing slower to get to that point. The program is too intensive."

Please PM me if you are interested in this. I'm not going to promise anything revolutionary, but I'd like to think I've got a few ideas and the motivation to test them out and put them to paper. At this point, I know how *I* react to the exercises, but I want to get other reactions to improve things so that I'm not throwing out just another series of exercises with no unique benefits.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2) Casual (but possibly gigging) musician who practices at least every other day for 30 minutes to an hour (or about 3 hours a week).

Clark,

I am very interested. I have been at it for about 2.5 years and have been lucky enough to have been playing with other individuals for most of the time. I now have a pretty decent band, playing almost exclusive cover songs. We currently play backyard and clubhouse parties among our peers. We should be playing 1-2 paid gigs(1-2x/month) within the near future.

I have been thinking about taking on some lessons, as I am self taught up to this point. I could easily put aside that idea and work on your method.

Please contact me.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

mmm, could be pm,ing you soon regarding this dont gig at the moment(work comitments kinda stop this for about the next 6 months) but i would love to help,

i think i am more the casual player in your categories

will give it a try

cheers

craig.

Has this idea passed by or are you still waiting for more subjects?

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Stackimo, I can take a few more people if you're interested. I've got something like 17 at the moment, so that should get me enough feedback for now.

Basskickerboy, could you be more specific? I realize the first draft is a little dry and not very pretty, but specific questions are a lot easier to answer. Feel free to email me, too, because I will get the email much quicker than I will remember to check this thread (or my PMs). Thanks!

Archived