Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fretless Bass Picks

Ace Of Bass

Since seeing those pics of the reunited Cream I've been thinking about picking up a used Epiphone EB-1 and defretting it, or even sticking one on a fretless Fender clone (say that 3 times fast) a-la Billy Sheehan. More like the former, as I think the mahogany might add to the overall darkness of the sound.

Just a thought. :wave:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I am very, very, very happy with my Godin A5 fretless fiver. Granted it may not be for everyone, but for me it is perfect.

In the past I have had a fretless MM StingRay, Fender Jazz (defretted) Fender P Elite w/ maple board (very nice), Fender P with an old Bart PU (so old, in fact, it was called "Hi-A"), Yamaha BB something, and a Warwick which I absolutely hated.

For me the Godin is a keeper...but those Rob Allen basses sure are nice too!

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

I remember Getz saying the godin basses sounded very nice, but the rob allen sounded much more akin to a double bass....more acoustic sounding I suppose. What do you think Max?

So, if you were to rate all of those basses how would they be listed from most favorite to least favorite?

P.S. Was the BB bass active or passive? Any specifics on the warwick: model, year, pickups/electronics?

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I think I would probably agree with that thought on the Godin/Rob Allen question. Rob Allen basses have a very "acosutic" tone; probably the most "upright-ish" of all semi-acoustics or ABGs. The Godin comes very close, though, and in addition they seem (at least to my ears) have more tonal flexibility. I can coax quite a few tones from mine. This is not meant to detract from the obvious beauty of Rob Allen basses (both in sound and in looks). They are wonderful instruments.

Favs? Next the Godin would be the Music Man followed closely by the P Bass Elite . The BB was, if I remember right a BB1100; active but unexceptional (I have always felt the biggest flaw in Yamaha basses has been the electronics) the P bass with Hi_a pu's was good, but not great..and the Warwick, a Streamer Stage I, was just not right for me. It never felt comfortable with a neck more like a bat than an instrument. I know a lot of players REALLy love Warwicks, but I have yet tompay one which feels right...altho, to their credit they are fine instruments of exceptional quality. This just goes to show one man's meat is another man's poison.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Sounds about right to me Max, I would have assumed a similar response.

I can see why the godin would have more tonal flexibility. On tat note, what are you stringing your godin's with (I would assume this adds to their flexibility while unfortunately detratcing from that upright like quality). I'm visiting Rob's shop in a short while and I hope to have a more tangible idea on his basses afterwards. It's a situation where I'm looking forward to having my wallet lightened!

I can't say I've been the bigest fan of musicman basses, A close musical partner plays one and it's tone seems to lack the upermid puncg that I prefer while also having a sound that's a bit too "active for me. It's more of a preference issue than anything else. I play a yamaha bb1000s, which is passive and I really dig that bass; that bass has everything I would want in a good pbass styled instrument: a meaty but nicely contoured neck, hot pj pickups, and versatile passive electronics. The bass is also amazingly heavy, but I'm sure that adds to the tone.

I also play a warwick thumb. Mine dates back to 1990 and it benefits from higher quality bartolini electronics, more premium wood selection, and a very comfortable neck. The neck is thick, but the contour of it allows me to keep my thumb low on the neck and have an easy contour to grasp, or "palm" the neck when necesary and have a good contour as well... it's the nicest playing bas that I've ever touoched, it's almost as if the neck was formed to my hand.

Maybe we can meet up one of these days and I can find out if the neck is feels different than the models you've played. Are you in the LA area often, I'd love to catch one of your shows.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

My, this thread has traveled quite a few directions. Wow.

As for fretless basses...

I have an Ernie Ball StingRay5 fretless. I'm very happy with it. I've had it for about 15 years, and intend to keep it. Capasso and getz have played it, and I think they'd vouch for it as a solid fretless, but all three of us would agree with Jeremy's comment about his Sterling: there are better out there.

I've played the aforementioned Warwick Thumb 5 fretless that belongs to music-man. It is a sick fretless. Warwicks tend not to be my cup of tea, particularly the neck profiles, but that particular bass was sick. Given the tone you are describing that you're interested in, you should do yourself a favor and try some Warwicks.

Bumpcity plays a Lull fretless 4. It might help if he chimed in. It's purty. I've seen pictures. I've heard a couple of tracks on which it was used, and it sounded great to me.

I'm not sure if a Wal would fall into your budget. A mahogany bodied Wal w/ unfinished ebony 'board would be smokin'. It would probably meet your tone requirements well, and it has that slick Wal electronics package to boot. However, you probably can't score one quickly.

MTDs are great. I've never played a fretless one.

Another route would be to at least make some phone calls to some dealers and ask them about the builders they represent and fretlesses those builders make. Three come immediately to mind, two of whom post here on occasion -- Adrian Garcia at Access Bass in NV (posts here as bassaddik), Jay Lewis at Blueberry Hill Bass in IL (posts here as JPJ), and Dan Lenard at the Luthiers Access Group in IL. Between the three of them they carry: Lull, Nordstrand, Roscoe, F Bass, Skjold, Drozd, Stambaugh, Bolin, Eshenbaugh, Kenneth Lawrence, Larkin, and more.

They might be able to help you sort through some differences in the fretless basses built by these different builders.

Good luck.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Ace Of Bass:

Just to add a quick footnote:

I really wanted a Celinder Vintage 4-string fretless, but I can't find one anywhere on Earth. Chris Celinder is not responding to any of his dealer's e-mails and no one has a used on in stock. That is what I REALLY wanted, but can't seem to find..........

Hey Ace Of Bass!

Just wanted to add that you, if ever possible, really should check out Celinder's Basses they're of a really amazing quality actually. Though I do not own one - I know that one day I'll have my very own built. Maybe a five string P-bass :eek: I actually live 3 minutes from his workshop here in Copenhagen, Denmark :cry: So now all domestic sales goes through his workshop. But I must admit that they're a bit slow regarding orders etc. But the basses are gorgeous :love:

Once you're lost in twillights blue you don't find your way the way finds you

My Band: http://www.vanityfair.dk

"...but if you want a different sound, try a Fender Precision fretless which has a heavier tone. Delivers a nice upright sound when played closer to the neck away from the pick-up."

I use one as a backup in places where I can't get my upright easily. Great for jazz trio and quartet work.

Archived