Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

is this a good price? SWR Workingman

The Fonz

$350 for a workingmans 4x10. it's used, but from the pic it looks like it's in good shape. and it's an in-person transaction so no shiping. should i keep shopping or should i snap it up?
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, i would follow the suggested course of action. The workingman's cabinets sound quite pleasing as well.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

They do last a long time, so $300-350-400, whatever you pay, should be considered an investment in good working equipment. I spent $500 for my Goliath III years ago, but that was going for $800 back then. No regrets, it delivers. Of course, $300 would be the way to go, but there are certainly quality differences between the Workingman's and Pro series.

Tell them you plan to spend the other $50 on a good Monster speaker cable. Now THAT makes a difference in the sound!

:wave:

Fred, I have some Monster speaker cables. They are fine. I think the premium that is paid is too high and they do have voodoo science that makes absolutely no sense.

The ProCo cables have great specs and are about 30-40% cheaper.

Originally posted by getz76:

The ProCo cables have great specs and are about 30-40% cheaper.

Thanks, Maury, I'll check it out this weekend.

In fact, I already have a ProCo for my extension cabinet, but I didn't realize it compared that favorably to the Monsters.

:thu:

I thought the new line was called WorkingPro - that would seem to let women in the club...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

hmmm, good to know. i was thinking about getting one in the next few days as i have a show at cbgb (no backline) in a under a week. i was going to jump on it, but now i think i'll check guitar center on the way out there. i was thinking twice anyways as i found out that it's being sold out of a rehearsal studio in queens. if gc has 'em that cheap, maybe i can talk down the used price. if not i'll get it at gc.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Strangely enough, I rehearse at that studio in Queens, and have eyed that cab as well. They just started as an Ashdown dealer, so the SWRs are going.

Last I was there, they had 2 of the 4x10 cabs at that price, as well as 2 1x18 SWRs. They look in good shape, definitely used but appear to be cared for. My drummer is tight with the management, they assure me that the cabs have been well maintained.

I would tend to believe them, as they have lots of really nice gear, and it is all working and looks new. They even have all the knobs, and they all work. :D

That can be a rarity around here.

Lemme know if you want more info, or for me to try for a better rate, either to buy, or as a last-resort rental.

Could maybe get ya a deal...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Prior to my purchase just 4 weeks ago, the least expensive for new online for the SWR was $600. My visit to Guitar Center found (2) on clearance for $400. I bought one.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

$599 for a goliath III? can i ask a favor from the nyc forumites (especially the GASsy ones)? a moritorium on buying this thing through this weekend. i need a good cab and i have very few $$$ to throw around.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I'll sell you my goliath III for 550+shipping....I'll sell anyone my goliath III for 550= shipping...even the ugly people.....yes, you.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

If you lived in ca you could borrow it or be allowed a moratorium if needed, but as it is I'm not sure...pm me if you are interested.

so went to gc in larchmont. they had a svt ported 4x10 used for $499, and several goliath IIIs for $599. but i was looking for cheap as i need it now now now and i don't have a lot of cash to throw around, so i got the ported behringer 4x10 for $329. they let me crank the svtIII through it and i couldn't get it to sound bad, reproduced really cleanly all the way up to as close to max volume as i was comfortable going. the amp will fart out before the cab will. i may go back and drop $150 on the 1x15 when i have a little more loot.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived