Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey Mark IV Bass Amp

tnb

I went to a rehearsal last night with a some guys that want to put together a working R&B band. It was in a studio in downtown Providence, what they record there is beyond me, but it was a GREAT room for rehearsals.

I had my trusty WW with me, but they already had a Peavey Mark IV with a 2x15 cabinet set up. I was feeling just a little snobby at first, but that amp for '70's and early '80s R&B is clearly the rig! It sounded great and so did I. I might consider working with this band if they let me use this amp. And if they pay me what I ask.

Speaking of pay, I was speaking with the "manager" after rehearsal and I gave him a cut rate based on the enjoyment factor. He still looked like I had just insulted his mother. I thought he was going to give me the speach about "the love of music".

It was not a great rig if you want a Marcus Miller kind of sound. Or to do a jazz gig, though I used Peavey rigs for YEARS on jazz gigs. Putting an upright through on of these would be a nightmare. To have to carry this dinosaur around would kill my back.

But I want one - just in case.

Now, the important question: where can I hide an amp this size from my wife???

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tnb:

I had my trusty WW with me, but they already had a Peavey Mark IV with a 2x15 cabinet set up.

Was it the Mark IV though, or the 2x15" that got you that big fat old skool sound? Try it with the WW, if there's a next time.

I had some ideas where you can hide a Mark IV but they're probably not relevant... The best way to hide a 2x15" is to lay it on its side, paint it brown, and stencil UPS on the side.

Alex

Originally posted by tnb:

Now, the important question: where can I hide an amp this size from my wife???

Had a friend who turned his into a coffee table/speaker system for his living room entertainment system but still used it as a bass amp on gigs. He made a support frame that elevated the cabinet so it was about 18" off the floor, speakers facing down. So when the cabinet was home it was channeling the stereo/TV through it - great for Sci-Fi/WW II movies - and he eventually tossed a glass top on it that would fit in case he needed to take the cabinet out on gigs. So it became part of the home entertainment system.

Another idea is to take the speakers out and mount them in the trunk of your car facing the back seats. INCREDIBLE BASS, but then you have to drive that car up on stage for the gigs. (Well, at least you won't have to carry the cabinet around with you. :D )

I've got a Mark something-or-other head and that sumbitch weighs a ton. :eek:

I think it weighs more than the 4x10 it feeds.

It also does a good job as a guitar amp. With a dist pedal on the front end, you can get some devastating rhythm tones (ala heavy low end grind).

For a while, this was my guitar rig....

http://home.earthlink.net/~strangersound/rig1.jpg

Dig -- I used to have a Peavey Mark IV. It did the job for me in the '80s. Big fellah, though. A lot to lug with that 2x8, 1x15 Peavey cab.

Sho' 'nuff I think that 2x15 cab contributed, but don't let those other fellahs knock the head.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I have, and still use, the MkIV. In fact I will be gigging with it this weekend. I used to run it through my Acoustic 2x15 and it was awesome, I really think this head was made for 2x15 cabs. ( I used it with dual 2x15s for a while and WOW!)

Now I power a 4x10 and will be using my 1x18 with it as well once I get the speaker replaced.

I bought the MkIV new in 82 it has seen 100s of gigs, rehearsals and abuse of every kind. It has NEVER failed me, it still has the original fuse!

Peavey amps are great! It is time for the snobbery to end!

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

The rig described here was my only one in the '70s. Jeez that thing packed a wallop! I played with the 2-15 for awhile and the picked up a second 2-15 and I was unstopable. "Hey man, can you turn down a little?"

I really liked the head too! It just died a few years back and I think I still have a couple of the old square mag drivers that came out of those cabs.

Back in the day . . .

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I am not going to rush out and by a 2x15 cabinet - I don't drive my old man's station wagon anymore. Besides, it isn't versitile enough for all of the different gigs I do. It's just the tone worked so well for that particular gig. Right tools for the right job. My rig is too pretty sounding, too easy to hear in the mix.

tnb,

Forget hiding the rig (head, cab, or both). It never works unless you already have so many rigs that she can't tell.

It sounds like you are looking for more thump. Not being a wise guy, but that's what all those knobs are for. Start with the ones on the bass (boost the bass). Then cut all the "pretty" out of the WW. I'm betting that you can get close enough to fit in.

quoth the man from RI

with some guys that want to put together a working R&B band.

These words do not distinguish a "Jeremy-esc" organization (minimal rehearsals, gig pay that adds to your bank account) from a hobbyist working band (rehearsals because they are good but need to tighten up, enough cash to cover gas (not GAS) and buy breakfast).

The other part is that if you are "in the band" you take what comes. If you are a hired gun, you get paid first. If it's a hobbyist band, you might be the only one taking cash home for a while. Hence the look of resentment.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I love Peaveys! I agree with Basshappi, my Peaveys would take a ton of abuse, and still crank!!! I remember a MKIII I had years ago that I pulled off of the cab during a gig by accident,(before I was wireless), and the thing landed with a big old thud and still worked!!! Sadly I sold the thing, wish I still had it. :)
" I'm only wearing black until they make something darker!"

Tom Capasso said:

quoth the man from RI

with some guys that want to put together a working R&B band.

------------------------------------------------

These words do not distinguish a "Jeremy-esc" organization (minimal rehearsals, gig pay that adds to your bank account) from a hobbyist working band (rehearsals because they are good but need to tighten up, enough cash to cover gas (not GAS) and buy breakfast).

Yeah, I was trying to be kind. Suprisingly enough I haven't heard from them again. Saves us both a rather uncomfortable situation.

On the flip side I did a gb last night that was beyond cheesy. KA-CHIIING!!! For an hour and 15 minutes of the most degrading musical prositution imaginable. The only thing missing were puppets and a monkey. The good thing about the gig was that I used my brand spankin' new Acme LB-1 with the WW and the upright. It sounded HUGE.

Oh well... :rolleyes:

Hey, I'd do that show if it involved playing a n upright through a ww and acme.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Archived