Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A recent album I played on...

Edited: because that wasn't right. I have my opinions, and I want your HONEST opinion. I'm not looking for opinions on my playing, I want to know what you think about the songs.

ANOTHER edit (because I'm dumb): I am not a member of this band. I was a hired gun for this project and I have nothing to do with these guys anymore. So there. :)

Instrumental tune

I REALLY want to be King\'s X tune

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Brian,

Here's my $.02

Instrumental tune:

Very well executed, but compositionally, sounds like a series of unrelated ideas cut and pasted together somewhat randomly.

That's not necessarily bad, disjointedness is very "post-modern," but it seems to lack a hook that grabs you and makes you want to hit the repeat button.

Still, very impressive from a chops standpoint.

I REALLY want to be King's X tune:

Vocals weren't doing it for me on this one, either. Not horrible, IMO, but could be better and, more importantly, the vocal melody could be stronger/catchier, especially on the verse.

However, this composition seems much more unified. The fact that there are vocals on this tune probably reigned in the songwriter's ideas a bit and kept him focused.

The fact that both tracks are getting positive reviews seems consistent with my experience on Garageband. Production and chops seem to please the reviewers and earn good scores and these two tracks are certainly better produced and better executed than the bulk of the tunes I've heard there.

In summary, trust your feelings - I think you were spot on in your post. Also, be encouraged! You did your job very well as a bassist and the public seems to dig it. Rock on! :thu:

Hey Bump, I just finished listening to the instrumental (all 6:04 of it). You do a pretty good Chris Squire there. :) Yes, it lacks direction. I'd listen to it again to verify that there is no discernable theme that runs through it to tie it together, but then, it is 6:04. (And it's not really that interesting for the first couple minutes until the lead guitar enters, IMO.) Maybe that's why it's "progressive math rock"? (I don't know ... I didn't really catch the math angle on that tune, either.) Other than that, yeah, it has some catchy moments.

(When I hear "progressive math rock" I expect to hear J.S. Bach meets Rush/Yes/etc. There should be variations based on inversions and other cute "tricks" Bach used to use. Just my opinion.)

Ok, "Peace my brother..." is labeled "progressive melodic rock"; I'd have to disagree. Definitely rock, but not progressive nor melodic. Under the vocals, this song is dominated by the rhythm guitar; I can barely hear the bass on my crappy system at work! (Must be the f-masking.) :o I'm goin with Quinn on this one: the vocals don't really make me feel anything, and they're what's carrying this song. (Didn't really pay attention to lyrical content, so I can't comment on that.) Even the guitar solo -- although it has decent chops -- kinda lacks emotion to me.

I don't like it.

The guy can play...but he doesn't reign in his musical ideas at all. The guitar solo is noodly.

It's 3:45 and I'm bored already. Where's the payoff?

Ungood.

Very nice job on bass, though, Brian. :thu:

I get a message that says that downloads have been discontinued.....maybe the guy saw this thread and ran for the hills....it might not have been a good idea to publicly trash a tune on which you played.

I can't say I've ever spent much time listening to records that I played on.

Well, when the instrumental tune started I started to like it but it got really damned tedious really damned quick. That could have been shortened by half. The singing on the other tune didn't grab me either. And I don't like synthesized organs except in Flash Gordon.
Now look what you made me do.

OK, perspective time. I just got done doing bass lines for my son's band (Slipknot and ICP meet poor chromatic tuning and the rhythmically challanged).

Instrumental - Place a Yes CD in a particle accelerator and fire them at old Pink Floyd until one CD is formed and play it before it alpha decays to "Roundabout". After two minutes, it gets full of itself and kinda wanders off. I never realy got a sense of "identity" if that makes any sense.

"Peace My Brother" - Place a Dillon CD in the same accelerator and fire that into a SRV CD. The music rocked well enough, but the vocals are weak. Needs someone with more power and dynamic range.

and I thought that both songs were about 2 minutes too long. I was praying for a commercial so I could get a soft drink or use the bathroom.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Thanks for all the comments everyone. And I really thank you for the kind words on my performance, I was definitely not looking for compliments or anything about what my contributions were; if you hated my playing though, please let me know!! :) Thank you though. Thanks for listening and thanks for the honest comments!

Well, it's not the most interesting music I've ever heard, but it's far from the worst. However I don't feel compelled to give it a second listen.

Just a few observations.

I thought the keyboards sounded very sequenced, especially that big piano intro on the long instrumental. Even Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson put some feeling into their heaviest chops-fests.

The vocal sound he's using, with the distortion effect, makes me wonder if he's trying to sound like Porcupine Tree, or else he's trying to add some aggression that he is unable to provide with just his voice. I don't think it works so well here, but props for trying. Song wise, that one could use a better melody.

Major chops, I'm just not hearing. Lots of notes, but not so much music. The stop-time riffs on the second song aren't tight at all, the guitar is rushing them.

I couldn't get into them. It might have a bit to do with the fact that it's 4:30 am, but, I just couldn't get the groove. It sounds like a garage band, no pun intended. There is a lot of talent, but limited direction. Maybe with a better singer and producer, it would be better. I'm not a big fan of the drum sound, either. Was that a Pro Tools recording and mix?

The playing was very good, just some bad ideas.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Edited: because that wasn't right. I have my opinions, and I want your HONEST opinion. I'm not looking for opinions on my playing, I want to know what you think about the songs.

Instrumental tune

I REALLY want to be King\'s X tune

"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!" - Jack Nicholson, "A Few Good Men"

OK, you asked for it...

Instrumental Tune: Good for concert fillers and art exhibitions. For commercial release: I think it's a waste of your time and the general audience. It was over by 4:50 and I was looking at the clock to see when it would end. We were doing this kind of stuff back in the late 70s before The Sex Pistols changed all the rules around.

I REALLY want to be King's X tune: polished, in sync, worth listening to a few times. You might want to offer this to a film studio to see if they'd incorporate it in a soundtrack. I know a couple of bands who got started this way, so it isn't a bad suggestion. I could see this in SpiderMan 3, for instance. You'll have to make the contacts yourself, but it pays well.

Bump, you guys definitely have the chops and the production values to pull this off. It's not you or us but the industry that needs to be imopressed enough to take you to market. If the band doesn't have a promoter or management, now's the time to get it done.

Archived