Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slipknot

Panick

I just got thru reading the article on Paul grey in this months BP (I actually got the June issue before June :eek: )

Anyway, I decided to check out the "Disasterpieces" DVD, cuz readin the article got my in the mood to rock my ass off, and my girlfriend starts flamin on Slipknot with the old " what kind of bull$h!t noise is this" and " look at those sicko freaks".

After giving her the finger I proceded to explaine how IMHO Slipknot is one of the most talented, creative bands I know of.

Yeah, they take their showmanship to far extremes, but I would like to see anyone take the challenge of stepping in Paul Grey, or any of the guy's shoes for a show. I mean playing along with two guitars, a drummer, two DJs, and a coupla guys playin precussion on everything from a big set of toms to beer kegs, all while wearing a mask and headbanging to the point of whiplash can't be an easy task. And their songs are great to boot. I have been to a few Gwar shows where the stage antics seemed to divert attention from the crappy music, but the guys in Slipknot are actually great musicians.

My g/f likes Blue Man Group, who are musical geniuses, so I told her to think of Slipknot as kindofa "Blue Man Group meets Leatherface with a large dose of LSD thrown in for good measure."

(Hell the woman has become a huge Les Claypool fan so who knows, maybe she'll become a Maggot as well :evil::thu::D )

Anyone else out there dig Slipknot?

Anyone know of any other bands with outlandish stage shows for comparison? http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=slipknot/v=2/SID=e/TID=I001_70/l=IVS/SIG=12mg1rlmc/EXP=1116999343/*-http%3A//dominik-meyer.bei.t-online.de/images/Slipknot%20Cartoon.jpg

Call it..... pointless?

Here is a link to my other art, hope you enjoy!

My MySpace page

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't say that I'm a Slipnot fan at all. They have a couple of songs that I like, but that is about it. I heard better death metal in the 80s. I do find it funny that after the success of Stone Sour, Slipnot's new album is more commercial......

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I like their music. The over-the-top stage show & masks are a bit much for me, but once I stopped laughing at them and started listening to the music, I started to like it.

I stil think they have about 3 too many members in the band, though...

the whole thing I think is sic
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Their self titled album is one of my favorite metal albums. I don't think Grey is much of a bassist though. I think if I threw a mask and a jumpsuit on, it might be a little more exciting on the low end, but then again, I've never liked wearing uniforms....
Insert inaccurate quote here

they are so backwards. where we all wish we didnt need a drummer, they decided to get 3 more!

;):P

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Maybe if they had an original idea between the lot of 'em, I'd give them a chance. The reality is that they stole their stage show, borrow a bunch of tired riffs, and are signed to a label that is known for trend-hopping.

Why listen to Slipknot when I can listen to all the bands that they borrow from?

I can tell you right now that if it weren't for the stage gimmicks, they wouldn't have sold 3 copies of that tripe.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I've been a die-hard metalhead for over 20 years. And metal has been in a stupor for quite some time. And Slipknot is just another example of what is wrong with the metal scene.

Too many bands retreading familiar waters in search of an idea.

:D

slipknot completely ripped off the stage antics from real shock rockers and the mask idea from berzerker. they are by far the biggest abuse of shitty music and shitty stereotyping that i have ever seen. it isnt that i cant stomach the music because i listen to real metal, its just that i want to throw up everytime i hear them.

ok im ranting.

i think slipknot should get off the "metal bandwagon" they supposedly created and everyone else should beat them and burn the imitators...

meh i don't really listen to much slipknot. What i've heard i enjoy, wouldnt call it that original but i don't mind listening to it. I dont see why everyone always pisses and moans about their stage costumes. Some people like playing music with costumes and masks on, some people don't...what difference does it make?

peace

PickPunk is right (as usual) guys... get your panties out of a bunch. They're just musicians playing on stage and putting on a show.

But wait, maybe you're on to something... THEIR STAGE ACT ISN'T COMPLETELY UNIQUE! Imagine that. I'm sure that has never happened before. Get real, please.

And what is with all the violence and hating, Dr. Goth? I thought you mentioned you were "mature" for a 15-year-old. Show it.

I thought their early single, Wait and Bleed, was fantastic.

ok. point taken. i also said i was ranting.

but the point is that i have read about them, read their bio's, and read their acting towards other good metal and shock bands.

they think they're the greatest and all other bands suck. thats what pisses me off. even if they dont hate them they think that they are original and that they had the first idea for everything they do.

hell, i dont even consider them metal, honestly. i think they resemble a heavier emo band. the vocals suck in my eyes and cant compete with other bands sound.

for me i have to know about the people before i can respect or appreciate the music. i cant stand fake "posers". (i hate using that word because it seems so angsty, but slipknot makes me pull out my teen bs reserves, lol.)

From the April 1, 2005 issue of Bass Owner Magazine::

We ran into Raoul Lord Greystone, bassist of the band Knothead, backstage at the Ramalamafafafa Festival in a large field outside of Budapest. Knothead is currently on the last leg of their first world tour. In a quiet moment while the stage was being set up with the elaborate props necessary for the bands show, we talked about equipment, influences, and music.

Bass Owner Magazine: You wear very unusual costumes in your show. What is the meaning of your costume?

Raoul: I wear a costume which makes me look like a large white boulder. We are tired of classifications such as metal, grunge, rap, emo, and goth. We are much more than all of thatwe have taken music back to its roots and what we play is truly rock music. My costume symbolizes the purity of the rock.

Bass Owner Magazine: How did you develop your unique style?

Raoul: My bass playing is pure and free of influences. I have never listened to anyone else. In fact, I have never even listened to myself. As a child I had an unfortunate accident involving fireworks and a toad and have been deaf ever since. But my dedication to music has enabled me to forge ahead and overcome my disability. Actually, I consider it a strength rather than a disability because it frees me from the temptation to copy bass parts from others. So much of todays music is derivative. Roots, fifths, eighth notes. Its all been done before.

Bass Owner Magazine: It appears as if you have managed to capture the essence of bass playing with your minimalist style.

Raoul: My approach can be considered less is more. Why play twelve notes when you can play two? Why play two notes when you can play none? The spaces in the music are evocative of the spaces between the stars in the universe. There is actually much more empty space in the universe than there is matter. Thats why I choose to play no notes at all on many of our songs.

Bass Owner Magazine: That is truly profound.

Raoul: Thank you.

Bass Owner Magazine: Tell us about your bass. Its one of the most elaborate basses weve seen in a while:

Raoul: My bass tech hooked me up with Squier and they graciously built my bass for me. It was built in the Squier Custom Shop in Bangladesh and features 52 leds and 4 lasers.

Bass Owner Magazine: Wow, thats impressive! What is the purpose of all that light?

Raoul: In my costume, it is very hard to see, especially on the dark stages on which we play. The lights enable me to find my way on and off stage. They look pretty cool, too, dont you think?

Bass Owner Magazine: They definitely do. We understand that your bass tech is pretty well known. Who is he?

Raoul: My bass tech is Jerome Goodfellow. He has played bass with Miles Davis, Buddy Rich, Stan Getz, John Coltrane, Betty Carter and Charlie Parker.

Bass Owner Magazine: Thats some pretty impressive credentials for a bass tech.

Raoul: Well, since all the band leaders he played with have died, people started becoming reluctant to call him and he hasnt been able to find a gig. But hes a great tech. He restrings and tunes my bass for every show.

Bass Owner Magazine: Why have you adopted your stage name?

Raoul: Everyone in the band has a stage name. All the bands do that these days. In addition, my attorney has recommended that I not use my real name. If my family finds out what I am doing, my trust fund could be cut off.

Bass Owner Magazine: Your bands material is totally unique. What is your writing and recording process?

Raoul: Everyone in the band has a sampler and a complete ProTools setup. We each collect sounds and manipulate them on our computers. Then we encrypt the files and email them to our producer.

Bass Owner Magazine: The resulting tracks have a fresh sound to them.

Raoul: There was a problem with the encryption key and many of the files were corrupted. But when we heard the results, we were pleasantly surprised.

Bass Owner Magazine: I guess everyone was pleasantly surprised, youve sold eight million copies of your debut cd so far.

Raoul: Thank you. But we are not doing this for fame and fortune, the music means everything to us. We are dedicated to our art.

Bass Owner Magazine: Thank you for answering our questions and good luck to you.

bootsy collins wore a "costume" of sorts.

and if we are whining about costumes, what about GWAR?? :D;)

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

70's - Have we forgotten about Kiss for cryin' out loud? Twisted Sister? NY Dolls?

80's - Hair metal? Super-sized camaro mullets and sprayed on spandex?

90's - Grunge? Ripped up clothes, ennui and angst?

Today's avant guarde is tomorrows glam rock.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I never liked slipknot before but i started listening to the new album and found that i really like it. Im in no way a metal head, personaly i belive the majority of it is just a guitarist wanking session, but their new stuff is pretty good. As far as not being original goes, who the hell cares?

ive heard many a metalhead say this albums crap because people like me do like it but hey, works for me plus Joey is one of the greatest drummers in the world today in my view.

Much Love :thu:

Dave

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Archived