Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PM (Private Message) Problems - (updated with Acme advice)

getz out

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getz 76,

Sorry about not getting private emails. Let us make it public.

Regarding one of your rigs:

I am using the Demeter & Stewart World 2.1 with a SWR Junior II 4ohm &

Mesa Boogie 15 8ohm

Are your Acmes 4 or 8ohm? If eight, are you bridging your amp?

Is it nirvana? Have you tried other cabinets with your Demeter and Stewart?

Any of your basses passive. If so, can you get enough eq with the Demeter, or are you using other effects or preamp pedals to dial in a sound?

Thank you for your input.

Steve

Steve, it wasn't your fault, it's just weird...

I have a pair of 4-ohm Acme Low B-2's. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get the 8-ohm version and bridge.

They sound great. For me, it's my favorite rig. That said, I haven't played it for a year because I haven't had the need.

I have played passive basses through it, and it sounds great. I don't do a lot of EQing, as I like the sound of my basses relatively flat and I use right hand position for a lot of timbre changes.

The Acme's have a lot more bass response than either of those cabinets you are currently using. However, flat, it will not have the same low-mid burp you are probably used to. If you like the sound of your bass through really good headphones, you'll probably like the Acmes. They don't hide much at all.

So, you didn't get the one where I called you an . . . . . umm, never mind.

:P

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by shandobass:

Getz 76,

I am using the Demeter & Stewart World 2.1 with a SWR Junior II 4ohm & Mesa Boogie 15 8ohm

Are your Acmes 4 or 8ohm? If eight, are you bridging your amp?

Any of your basses passive? If so, can you get enough eq with the Demeter, or are you using other effects or preamp pedals to dial in a sound?

Steve

[butting In]

I'm using an older Demeter VTBP-201 (1&1/2 RU) and a QSC/PLX 1602 with 2-ACME LowB2's (both 4 ohm). If I had to do it over (and I still might) I'd opt for the QSC 2402; just for more headroom.

I've had no problem with EQ limitations, whether with passive or active basses - but I like the way my basses sound as is... just minor tweaks.

I will say that as those ACME's break-in, the less 'Bass' EQ is needed. Right now, the Bass EQ is at 10 o'clock - about 4 on a level of 1 to 10.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Originally posted by JBFLA:

[butting In]

I'm using an older Demeter VTBP-201 (1&1/2 RU) and a QSC/PLX 1602 with 2-ACME LowB2's (both 4 ohm). If I had to do it over (and I still might) I'd opt for the QSC 2402; just for more headroom.

[butting In]

I'm using an SWR GP set flat, and a QSC PLX 3002 with two Acme Low-B2s (both 4 ohm). I did have a Mackie M1400 before and I've noticed a useful increase in headroom and LF output at high volumes, and have yet to blow the HF protection bulb since going from 425W per cab to 900W per cab. If I was doing it again, I'd get 8 ohm cabs and bridge them with a lower rated power amp to get 700-1000W per cab.

Although the Acmes respond very well to EQ, they're so responsive to changes in technique that extensive EQ is overkill. I tweak my onboard EQ a bit, but that's mainly because I'm running lots of effects and not always playing bass like a bass.

Alex

Archived