Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GiGsPaM: Second Lucy in NYC Wednesday, 5/25

getz out

I hope everyone is doing well.

Second Lucy will be performing at the historic Luna Lounge in the East Village this Wednesday night at 8:30 PM.

That is the good news. The sad news is Luna Lounge will be closing its doors for good at the end of the month due to rent increases in the now ultra-hip East Village. The building will most likely be coming down and will undoubtedly be replaced by an apartment complex with a Starbucks at street level; long live the soy latte.

We have some new material we are going to share with the audience. I hope to see you there. We appreciate everyone's continued support.

- What?-

Second Lucy plays rock and roll, secondlucy.com or Second Lucy\'s Myspace .

- Where? -

Luna Lounge, 171 Ludlow St., New York, NY (212) 260-2323 lunalounge.com

- When? -

Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 8:30 PM

- Why? -

Get over the mid-week hump! No cover! Its free just like TV! Luna Lounge has Foosball... and beer... and music.

Come out, have a drink, and listen to some live music!

Take care,

-Maury

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by getz76:

Luna Lounge has Foosball...

Why is Table Football called Foosball in the US? Was it brought over by Germans (who call football (i.e. soccer) FuBball (that B is meant to be that double s letter thing))?

Anyway, good luck with the gig, I shall sadly be in bed too early for it!

Alex

Alex - I'm not sure (and sorry - don't have time for research now), but I think that American GIs stationed in Germany after the war brought it over, so your logic may be correct.

I have an engagement that evening. It is nearby, and may break up at the right time. I will try.

If I come, I will play foosball. I will listen to fine rock. I will share stories with Todd about what a screwball Maury is (when he's with us) and about what a cool guy he is (when Maury is not with us). :) And I will have a camera this time, in case we can get a "3C" picture (Cracker, Corrin, Capasso).

If not - rock it well!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I would love to be fully regaled by the aural phenomenon that is Second Lucy, and to observe the passage of the Luna into its final rest, but, alas, rehearsal calls.

Dammit.

Maury-

Break all the necessary legs, and rocque accordingly.

Do it for the children.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Alas, I cannot attend. However, I'm trying to make it to wraub's 6/1 gig.

Maury, I'm sure you already know that the Luv has been sent even in my absence. Just as I know that le rocque will be brought...

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I had a bit of time and was glad to come. Great to see friends/wives/gf/etc.

You say you had an off night. It didn't sound off to me, but I could see when we were talking that you were tired. Imagine that - out late in the middle of the workweek - what are you going to do when you are my age? kidding>

This was the first time I got to see this band. Since it contains 3/4 of your previous band, there were no surprises. Rahul is still master of sound crafting (whether strumming in support or arpeggiating interesting soundscapes). Todd is still playing strong, solid, and spot-on.

I was glad to see that you had more interesting parts to play in this band. The SWR WM with support sounded great, as did your Fender 5. It felt very smooth to play (I got to test-drive). Nice snap without sounding sizzle-modern - very full sound. You must have effective hands....

Dana's vocals are pretty ambitious, and he's got a good strong voice - the tone and quality makes you want to listen. Star was very good, but the moody one after it wasn't my type.

Things sounded pretty tight - nice little spaces (I think musicians call them "rests") that provided the counterpoint for accents - cool.

You're always a zombie on stage. I just made a nuisance of myself and kept shooting pics (of each of you) hoping you'd ignore me. Some day when I'm there you won't continually turn away or back into the shadows ( grrrr ). I haven't finished putting the pics up, so I'll post again when that's done.

Sorry I had to leave early - 6:00 AM comes up fast when you take the 11:37 home, so I was glad to make the 10:34.

Highlight of the night was playing foosball with Getz's GF and friends.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

that was your girlfriend? oops... ;)

aaaaaaaaaaanyhoo, i didn't notice a meh night. thought your playing was solid, tight. now, when I flub one, you notice. apparently when getz flubs one, it still works. thought the playing was solid. rahul rocked as usual, the melodic difference maker in the band. his texture and doodling helps break up songs and takes songs that would otherwise sound a lot alike and makes it more of a songwriting style. sounds a lot like coldplay. good stuff. take a date, you'll probably get some.

as for the tone, wow, i needs me oe of them sansamp dealydoos. a rig in your pocket. plug right into the p.a. and just show up with a gig bag. makes one wonder why you spend all that money on an amp and a cab when you can sound like a monster with a sansamp and a combo. besides, with the sansamp you can stick in your pocket and sneak out before oyur guitar player loans it to the next band ;)

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Speaking of SansAmp (I own a SABDDI and luv it), I've been hearing some really positive things about a similar product: the Radial Tonebone preamp/DI stompbox. Prolly more bank for the latter, but me thinks I must try one out -- for curiosity's sake.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Does the tonebone actually provide distortion as well? A while ago I was searching for a nice little do-it-all-in-one-box pedal and a salesperson from a semi-local music store tried to sell me on the tonebone, saying that Tony Levin had recently bought one from the store and was raving about it. Well, I didn't buy it. But, still.............
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I have put some pictures up. I thought I had the red-eye under control, but I guess not. Right after bass, voice, and piano lessons I'm taking photo lessons. For some reason that night, I wanted to try the "long exposure" option that kinda blurs everything. This was actually done on purpose...some of the pics look cool. There is even a decent shot of Ace C, Maury and myself.

Second Lucy

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

You guys need to do a tour, at least down the east coast! And Tom, I like "Maury 05 Extreme"- great photo. Maybe one day, if I'm visiting the in-laws in Poughkeepsie, we can sneak into the city to see you guys.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived