Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best wishes to Matt Freeman...

zeronyne

...for a speedy recovery. Hang in there, Matt!

Rancid bassist Matt Freeman has been diagnosed with lung cancer.

Freemans condition was revealed by his band mates in Transplants, singer Rob Aston and drummer Travis Barker, in a Warped Tour press conference Wednesday (May 11). The bassist was diagnosed with the disease the previous week and has started treatment. No word on his immediate condition was given.

Warped Tour organizer Kevin Lyman announced hell dedicate this years tour to the bassist, who plays in Transplants and Rancid, and was a member of Social Distortion for its last batch of tours. Transplants will continue to tour on their upcoming Haunted Cities, but will find a stand-in for the stricken bassist.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Zero, where did you find that story, I can't find anything besides rumors anywhere on the internet. I checked out Rancids, Social Ds, and the Transplants website and they dont say anything. I saw some article quoted from alternativepress.net, and went to see it and its not there anymore.

Hopefully this is all just a rumor.

Originally posted by ChrisOfDoom:

Hey Zero, where did you find that story, I can't find anything besides rumors anywhere on the internet. I checked out Rancids, Social Ds, and the Transplants website and they dont say anything. I saw some article quoted from alternativepress.net, and went to see it and its not there anymore.

Hopefully this is all just a rumor.

AVERSION.COM

"For instance" is not proof.

My best and fullest wishes to Matt for a complete recovery.

And for many years of rockin' to come!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by ChrisOfDoom:

Good news.

(From above source):

Matt is now home and recovering well.

Wishing you a healthy recovery, Matt!

I don't know the details of Matt's illness, but I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that lung cancer is the easiest cancer to prevent by simply not smoking. If you do smoke, quitting now will lessen your chances of developing lung cancer.

more info from National Cancer Institute

and here

and here

• 2 weeks later...

I just talked to Matt. He did have surgery to remove a spot from his lung but a biopsy showed that it was not cancer.

He is at home here in Berkeley and is recovering and enjoying his first extended stay at home in ten years. He is especially enjoying it since he became a father at the end of last year.

He thanks everyone for thinking of him and hope to be touring again next year.

Just finished having lunch with Matt and then got home and got my August Bass Player Mag. which has a note about him having cancer.

He does not have cancer. He told me they before they operated on him they told him that if he did have cancer, when he woke up they would have removed one of his lungs. However, when they cut out the piece of his lung, they did a biopsy on the spot and discovered that it was not cancer and they sewed him up again.

He is recovering nicely and is enjoying his time at home with his wife and eight month old son. He is in excellent spirits and we had a good time this afternoon.

Here he is with my gear in my driveway and in front of my house with his Comet.

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone5/matt1.JPG

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone5/matt2.JPG

So, after playing Bluey is he gonna go out and get a lull :D

Or does the bass actually have a name?

....Blue, Kinda Blue, Blue Beauty...

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Archived