Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tony Levin Clinic

Catlin

I had the pleasure to attend the Tony Levin clinic in Halifax last night, wow, close to 300 people. I was lucky i went early and got a spot in the front row, so I could see, and hear perfect.

What a great guy, lots of stories about his experiences and life in general. He even played a new tune off his in the works solo album, where he sang and played bass.

I think he felt bad he could not get a question from all, but it was more than understandable, I asked him about his Chapman Stick, and if he was doing the tapping technique prior to using a Chapman stick. He said he had been practicing two handed tapping, he seen a drummer do it years before. So then he showed us a tune he played using tapping when he was with John Lennon. Saying it was the first time he played it since he had recorded it.

When it was all over Tony said he would stay and sign anything until everyone was done, which is great considering the crowd. It was nice to be at the front of the line, and get a photo signed and a picture with him before going home, truly an inspiring night. :thu:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Sounds like fun!

Tony is my main man and musical hero. Looks like you had an inspirational evening!

You should check out Tony's book: Beyond the Bass Clef . It's a treasure trove of anecdotes from his years as a sideman and his thoughts about bass playing and music in general. A great read. :thu:

Archived