Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Combo Recommendations

Dylan

Greetings real bass players! Im a guitar player first and foremost and a first time lowdown poster. I have a nice US Fender P-Bass that Ive been tinkering with over the last few years and Im now getting more serious about getting everything up and running. My current amp is a cheesy Danelectro, which I believe is around 5-10 watts with a whoppin 8 speaker. Im now looking at buying a beefier amp but I dont know the low-down on these bad boys. Im not looking for something that is going to blow the windows out of my home, but it would be nice to have something powerful enough to play small gigs with. Id like to keep the price under $350 if at all possible. Fender has a few models that look attractive, but if there is something better in the same price range Id love to know about it. Ive been unimpressed with Fender SS guitar amps over the years so Im a bit hesitant to get one of their current bass amps. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a used 210 combo amp?

You wont find much for under $350, but try searching on bassnw and ebay.

i just found a gk1001rb 210 cab combo on ebay. starting bid is 359.

Bassnw looks promising as well.

You should definitely look into something powerful so that you can compete with loud selfish guitarists. :D

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I don't think you'll find an Ampeg or anything of that ilk used in the $350 range.

Peavey TNT 1x15 are often available around that range.

If you don't mind yesterday's solid state, go Crate.

Best advice: save up for quality.

A couple of things to consider:

1. Where you will be practicing and performing will the bass amp have a line out to the house PA or will you be relying on the power of the bass amp alone to get your volume up.

2. Will the drummner have microphones on the drums or just play acoustic drums with no mics.

One rule of thumb is to have 4 watts of power to every one watt of power the guitarist has. So if you play with a guitar player with a 50 watt amp, then you want 200 watts. That's just to give you an idea, I have a combo that is only 165 watts and it's louder than other 400 watt combos that I've owned in the past. I'm not sure why but I love it (it's made by a company called "TubeWorks by B.K. Butler, I think they are out of business now).

If you have professional sound equipment and the drums are miked, you have a lot of flexibilty. However you are probably in the same boat that a lot of us started in, your bass amp is your only source of volume and your sitting next to a drum kit playing full tilt with no mics (oh the joy! I wish I was jammin right now!).

If that's true then I think you'll need at least 200 watts with 1 15 inch speaker. I remember a Peavy amp called a TNT that was good for this purpose, my friend had one and played a ton of club dates with it very durable. Also Crate has one in your price range but I cannot attest to it's sound or durability.

Also remember with the bass you don't need to really process the sound like a guitarist (later on you'll want tweek the sound quite a bit) but my point is that you can plug your bass right into a practice PA system if you want to.

Anyway I hope this helps some. I grew up playing in rock/blues bands and we were almost allways way too loud so maybe you don't need that much power.

Good Luck

Rob Robitaille

Peavey makes good inexpensive gear. They have a few combos out right now that might suit your needs. TKO 115 or TNT 115 used in your budget.

You might think about getting a seperate head and cab though as bass combos can get heavy.

Welcome Dylan.

The suggestions above are fine, and I'll add SWR Workingman series of combos. They are popular, so you should find them used.

Many here started on guitar before coming over to the "low" side.

You can use the search (upper right part of the screen), but you have to be as specific as possible. I've known what I was looking for and had trouble finding it...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Bplayer wussup well yeah my advice for you is to save up dont buy an amp just cause its a bargan or its looks but sound quality feal me but i have Peavey TnT 115 and its kicks ass its great for small gigs and practice even has an equalizer and what more than an extenal out-put so you could pop another cab under it its great around 400$ so your all most there http://www.geocities.com/dshiz16/bass you'l see it and maybe holla back and keep bassin!
Bass Man aKa The Shiz "Im Back"

used peavey combos are everywere cheap

i hate the way they sound but sound is so personal for some of us

check out the ampeg BA110 or BA112 combos

big ass noise little bitty box

i got my BA110 for under $400 new

it sounds killer and it holds its own in a loud jam

id like to check out the ashdown mini stack rig i saw in the last issue of bass player

small head and two 10 inch cabs for $400!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/LOWBOY/goth-T.jpg

Originally posted by tarkus:

I don't think you'll find an Ampeg or anything of that ilk used in the $350 range.

Peavey TNT 1x15 are often available around that range.

If you don't mind yesterday's solid state, go Crate.

Best advice: save up for quality.

Ampeg BA112 is about $350 new. Great compromise between size and tone. Won't keep up with a loud drummer, but I've played several small gigs with mine. Probably the smallest amp I can get a decent amount of bottom out of.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

The SWR Workingman\'s 15 has only let me down twice in over 5 years of constant weekend gigging (I've owned mine for at least 11 now) and that was to replace the input jacks. I've seen them used for $300-350 here and there but most players hold onto theirs.

Prior to that I used a Peavey TNT 150 (obsolete now, closest match to that is the Combo 115 ) but it would distort if I cranked it too hard; but I still own it and am tempted to add another speaker jack to it because I suspected the head put out more than the 15 could handle. I've seen them for $150-300 used depending on condition.

The Nemesis combos weren't around when I got my SWR but I've been tempted to get one of them if I play out regularly again. Since they've been out a few years they may be available used but I haven't run into many to get an estimate on their used value.

I left out Yamaha, Yorkville and many others basically to keep this post manageable and to give others a chance at this space.

Any of these might bust your budget a bit, but as you'll find out the work you'll get on bass will more than pay for any of these beauties. But all of these are well under the price of a Marshall half-stack or combo guitar amp, and I don't hear many guitarists complaining about the price of these workhorses.

:wave:

Archived