Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GC no longer a Rickenbacker dealer

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard a rumor that GC was selling them without cases and Ric doesn't allow that. No idea about the validity of this, though.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by jeremy c:

These things usually happen because GC is grinding the manufacturers down on prices.

In Dallas the only Music stores left are GC's......Yes there's others lik Brook Mays and mom and Pop shops but htey don't have the volume and variety of GC...SO I guess is Rickenbacker's loss...maybe?

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

I have heard about many companies ruined and shut out from GC because GC strong armed them. I believe it's even a reason why Mr. Tobias had to sell his first company. I believe GC likes to demand, threaten, or whatever instrument companies to not sell to their competition. Ampeg for instance, not found at Sam Ash. I know they have enough cash to carry that brand. I'm sure if we all thought about it, there's many other common brands that you'd think you'd see somewhere but don't.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Alembic dropped out of Guitar Center or we could say that Guitar Center dropped Alembic because Alembic wouldn't keep lowering the wholesale price.

Yep. I was working there when that one occurred. There were several boutique keyboard companies that jumped ship for similar reasons.

"For instance" is not proof.

A guy at Sam Ash once told me that they stopped carrying Ampeg because of reliability issues in some of the product lines. Things that make you go "hmmmmmm".

It also seems that Ken Smith has reduced or stopped their dealings with Ash. I used to see a Smith on the wall, but not in a while.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I never saw Ric or Ken Smith or Alembic as a fit for Guitar Center or (to a lesser extent) Sam Ash. It dilutes the brand image, in my opinion.

You don't go to Wal*Mart to buy a Rolex. All of the above are hand-crafted, boutique-ish items.

Gibson and Fender? Yes, they make fine instruments, but they are widely distributed and owned. There's nothing "special" about them, insofar as going "hey wow, you don't see one of those everyday."

Amps are another matter; you don't expect a difference between Amp Model A serial number 001 and Amp Model A serial number 002. However, does Aguilar tarnish its boutique charm by being placed next to Ampegs and SWR amps? I think so.

I've been lucky enough to find some decent privately owned music stores in the past. I haven't ever bought anything big at GC. Maybe a pack or strings and some cables, but that is about it. I like a smaller store that cares enough to setup the gear they keep on the floor so that it is at least playable. I once grabbed a US P-bass at GC that was set up so terrible I wondered why anyone would pay $1000 for one.

Houston has Rockin' Robin's and Parker Music, plus the lefty place, and 3 GC's.

GC and Sam Ash are the Costco of MI retailers. They masquerade as having a great selection of inventory and knowledgeable staff. Most of the time they are no more knowledgeable or well stocked than Music Yo.

I'm lucky because here in So Cal we have place like West LA music, McCabe's, Truetone music, and AudioMidi.com to name a few. They blow GC and Sam Ash away.

Remember, you can always go on-line to Sweetwater sound or Full Compass, etc too.

F*** GC and Sam Ash

I've had good experiences at Guitar Center and Sam Ash. I have had bad experiences at Guitar Center and Sam Ash. I have had good and bad experiences at local independent retailers. I have had good and bad experiences with internet retailers, both big and small.

I agree, plenty of basses in need of a setup hang in GC, but they often do the same in a local shop.

As an example, I recently had a great experience at Gutiar Center when I was buying my second Boss TU-2. I was about to buy a new one when the salesperson I was dealing with said he thought they may have just gotten a used one in; he spent 15 minutes finding it, another 10 minutes checking me out, and was nice about the whole thing; ended up saving me some cash and probably reducing his commission. Yes, it was a little purchase, but worked for it while the shop was busy. They also let a bunch of us here in New York take run of the shop for a solid hour-and-a-half, jamming and just having a good ol' time.

Some of the worst experiences I have had were at a local retailer that caters to higher-end customers.

I think painting with such a broad-brush is a bit closed-minded.

Long and McQuade is a land of magic, and honey, and puppydogs.

Go there for realiable staff, great service, and good prices. I can not stress this enough.

Although i havent seen a ric there yet. Would be nice to try one out.

Originally posted by GTRBass:

GC and Sam Ash are the Costco of MI retailers. They masquerade as having a great selection of inventory and knowledgeable staff. Most of the time they are no more knowledgeable or well stocked than Music Yo.

I'm lucky because here in So Cal we have place like West LA music, McCabe's, Truetone music, and AudioMidi.com to name a few. They blow GC and Sam Ash away.

Remember, you can always go on-line to Sweetwater sound or Full Compass, etc too.

F*** GC and Sam Ash

I've got to agree with getz27 here. I've spent some good times at gc, of course I've gotten headaches there from dealing with the sounds of all those horrible guitar players and the stupidity of all people in the accesories department. Recently though, I've stuck with a couple of good guys there and I haven't been happier. On the other hand, on my single trip to truetone music they told me not to play any more basses after I played one bass. And when I asked aout their aguilar gear they said I couldn't play any of it because they were closing(about 1 1'2 hours till closing time). WEll, I bought MY aguilar rig elsewhere and I haven't been to truetone since. I'm sure that theres only a small chance of anything like this happening there again but the employees really ruined it for me...which sucks because they have great selection......rant.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by LOWBOY:

L&McQ is a cool joint

but i prefer STEVE'S MUSIC and SONGBIRD

prices are better at steves

here in ottawa any way

L&M has a low price guarantee. They'll match the price at Steve's, Songbird or wherever.

L&M is also great with kids. They'll rent a P.A. to any kids putting on a show. Parents co-sign, but they don't gouge just because they can. I've never seen an L&M sales person over sell a customer. There seems to be a very good corporate culture of developing a life long relationship with customers.

I tend to believe that RIC wasn't meeting deadlines, and an easy way out was to drop the PITA customer, (GC), and focus on the value added retailers, instead of the mass merchants. That strategy gives RIC a better brand identity.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

I just think with Guitar Center, as long as you know exactly what you need before you walk in the door, you are set. If you don't know, you will either encounter an idiot who cant help you, or a smart salesman who will sell you something you dont need for a fat comission.

I go there for strings and basic stuff, but if I want an amp I will hit up Ebay, and if I want a bass I will hit up BassNW. I also go there to just hang out and try stuff out. Great way to wind down after work.

Originally posted by ChrisOfDoom:

I just think with Guitar Center, as long as you know exactly what you need before you walk in the door, you are set. If you don't know, you will either encounter an idiot who cant help you, or a smart salesman who will sell you something you dont need for a fat comission.

I work at a Guitar Center. Don't shoot me. I know what I'm doing. I know what I'm selling. I'm not screwing anyone. I try my very best to go the extra mile for any customer that even lends his or her ear to me for the most basic questions. What you're saying is a HUGE generalization and kind of bums me out.

Do I work on commission? Yep. However, the way the whole profit system at GC works, when I profit 20,000 dollars to the company, I might, MIGHT, see a check with 4 digits before the decimal at the end of the month. So, instead of wondering where the other 19,000 went, I simply stopped trying to make any profit or put "add-ons" and "performance guarantees" on every sale. I'd would much rather sell really cool high end gear to people for base cost of the store until I get fired. Which I won't, because I know what I'm talking about and my boss likes that. So, I'm happy, they're happy, everyone's happy.

Any salesman who tries to sell you a "high profit" item or an extended warantee obviously hasn't gotten his first check. Come back in a month and deal with the same guy again and see if it changes. And please, don't make generalizations about everyone that works at Guitar Center. I sell some of the most high-ticket items in the store, and it's not even because I'm a good salesman (because I'm not). It's because I have the common decency to actually try and find out what someone is looking for, even if they don't know exactly who makes it or what it is, and then those people will trust me when they come back to buy the real stuff.

Love,

Sean Center

Originally posted by Sean Eldon:

I work at a Guitar Center. Don't shoot me. I know what I'm doing. I know what I'm selling. I'm not screwing anyone. I try my very best to go the extra mile for any customer that even lends his or her ear to me for the most basic questions. What you're saying is a HUGE generalization and kind of bums me out.

Do I work on commission? Yep. However, the way the whole profit system at GC works, when I profit 20,000 dollars to the company, I might, MIGHT, see a check with 4 digits before the decimal at the end of the month. So, instead of wondering where the other 19,000 went, I simply stopped trying to make any profit or put "add-ons" and "performance guarantees" on every sale. I'd would much rather sell really cool high end gear to people for base cost of the store until I get fired. Which I won't, because I know what I'm talking about and my boss likes that. So, I'm happy, they're happy, everyone's happy.

Any salesman who tries to sell you a "high profit" item or an extended warantee obviously hasn't gotten his first check. Come back in a month and deal with the same guy again and see if it changes. And please, don't make generalizations about everyone that works at Guitar Center. I sell some of the most high-ticket items in the store, and it's not even because I'm a good salesman (because I'm not). It's because I have the common decency to actually try and find out what someone is looking for, even if they don't know exactly who makes it or what it is, and then those people will trust me when they come back to buy the real stuff.

Love,

Sean Center

I agree that I made a generalization, but at least in my experience not a huge one. I have gone in and asked a guy in the accessories department about a direct box, then had to explain to him what it was. That bothered me. Once I went in when I was less knowlegable, to try out some distortion pedals, and the guy there had me convinced I needed a new bass. That bothers me. I had to tell a guy what a J pickup was. That bothered me.

The more I think about this it seems like I have had more problems in the accessories department then anywhere else (my apologies if you work in the accessories department).

I have had some good experiences there too. My guitar player was ready to buy a brand new 8 track, and the salesman pulled a used one out for half the price. That I appreciate.

But I stand by my comment that I don't generally buy large items there, but that probably has more to do with my half hour drive to Bass Northwest then anything.

my apologies if you work in the accessories department

I've spent my share of time in accessories, sadly, but I'm an audio guy. Specifically, I deal with high end recording equipment, and can proudly say that with the exception of one of the store managers (who does not work on commission), I'm pretty much the leader of the store. Did the guy with the distortion pedals have any right to sell you a bass? Nope. He might be a bass player, but he's not trained to talk about the bass in a store. If he was trained to sell a bass, he'd be in that department.

Hell, it might even be your area's store. 90% of the guys and gals in my joint know exactly what they are talking about, stay with what they know they're talking about, and would rather act as a problem solver and not a scam artist who sells the Mitchell acoustic or the Digital Reference mic because they're 70 percent profit.

Sorry, just venting. I get ragged on about my job 7 days a week.

Originally posted by Sean Eldon:

my apologies if you work in the accessories department

I've spent my share of time in accessories, sadly, but I'm an audio guy. Specifically, I deal with high end recording equipment, and can proudly say that with the exception of one of the store managers (who does not work on commission), I'm pretty much the leader of the store. Did the guy with the distortion pedals have any right to sell you a bass? Nope. He might be a bass player, but he's not trained to talk about the bass in a store. If he was trained to sell a bass, he'd be in that department.

Hell, it might even be your area's store. 90% of the guys and gals in my joint know exactly what they are talking about, stay with what they know they're talking about, and would rather act as a problem solver and not a scam artist who sells the Mitchell acoustic or the Digital Reference mic because they're 70 percent profit.

Sorry, just venting. I get ragged on about my job 7 days a week.

I have never had any problems with the guys in pro audio. Those guys seem to know what they are talking about, and when they don't they grab the guy who does. And hey, I have even thought about applying there, especially after the direct box and J pickup incidents.

Originally posted by PhilMan99:

Is GC a subsidiary of Walmart? ;)

No, they're separately-run divisions of 666 Inc.

:evil:

BTW, before I'm flamed, one of my best friends is a GC salesperson, so I'm not judging the people but the company and its marketing principles. Ditto to Walmart, I've already met some nice people there who deserve better pay than they're getting.

:thu:

• 4 weeks later...

I saw 2 red Rics at a local GC some time ago ... they were hung high on a wall under a skylight and the necks looked pretty warped from the overdose of sunlight they received. It was a sad, sad sight. :cry: If someone from Rickenbacker saw that, I can surely understand why they wouldn't want their product displayed like that.

On another visit I tried a Geddy Lee J-bass for fun. While I was messing around on it my wife is in another part of the store where she overhears a manager tell a salesdude to "just lie if you have to" to make the sale. I had no intention of buying a bass that day anyway, and the terrible setup lead me to believe Fender's quality had really slipped.

I tried another GC on the other side of town and at least the atmosphere felt different. And they had some nice Musicman basses for me to GAS over. :) Didn't have time to try them, though. :(

My last major purchase -- Ovation Elite LX electric/acoustic g****r --I picked up at an independent music store that's probably been in business for decades. I picked it up for fun and the thing sounded SO good right off the hanger that I immediately GASsed over it! So I went home. :) And a week later I came back and bought it. (Imagine what I would've done had the Geddy Lee been set up properly?)

I'm not reviving this thread just to piss off Sean Eldon, or anyone else that may work for GC. My apologies if I ruffle anyone's feathers. I just thought the Rics and the manager needed to be exposed. And as I hinted, not all GCs appear to operate the way this one particular location does.

Just one point - poor setup isn't really necessarily a manufacturer issue. Instruments that come out of the box OK and hang on the wall (or under a skylight in the sun) will move. When I came to understand that, I realized that the store folks have a lot more to do than just sell and dust.

I'm not familiar with that Fender - I think you mean the BenLoy bass.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived