Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why do you have to make a wall?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by WFTurner: [b]The proof God blesses my little piece of America. [img]http://www.mdvl.net/~wfturner/Brook.jpg[/img][/b][/quote]Funny you should mention that, W.F., I've got the same sort of proof! :D :D :D Ain't it grand?!?!?!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by nursers: [b]You're absolutely right tedster - its good stuff the ole fatherhood [img]http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/contrib/blackeye/stretch.gif[/img][/b][/quote]Not to mention grand stuff, the grandfatherhood! :D

Tedster. God doesn't bless your cute baby because God doesn't exist. Face the fact. Protect your cute baby by yourself.

Dude. You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean.

If a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

[quote]Originally posted by WFTurner: [b]The proof God blesses my little piece of America. [img]http://www.mdvl.net/~wfturner/Brook.jpg[/img][/b][/quote]What a sweetheart! Anyone that cute deserves to have their picture posted again. To the Troll: The question may not be whether or not you believe in God, but whether or not God believes in you. Oh, and by the way, if you object to our country, you are certainly free to go back to the old country - [i]whatever that is...[/i] :wave:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Nawn: [b]Tedster. God doesn't bless your cute baby because God doesn't exist. Face the fact. Protect your cute baby by yourself.[/b][/quote]Clever you! I do protect my Grandson... Okay, Prove to me that God doesn't exist. It's just as easy as proving that He does. But, it's for each person to decide. I see strong evidence of God in everything that exists...even your ability to consciously lift your fingers to type your pondersome statements :D . (Chinese sage voice): "Consider the maple seed, how aerodynamic it is. Now consider how clever it was of the maple to devise such an ingenious scheme of self-propagation" (with a mischievous wink). But, the "argument" is pointless, as you will never believe until one day you meet face to face, and even then perhaps you'll doubt. It's kinda like this, if I believe, and there is no God, I die...go on to the great void of non- existence, and have lived a relatively good life having done minimal harm. But, if I don't believe, and live my life as though there is no accountability...and there [i]is[/i] a God, and I haven't done my bit, I'm in a world of shit. Now, which is the wiser choice? :D :D :D :D

Oh c'mon guys, we used to welcome new members a long time ago, remember? About God, the question is does or doesn't God exist right? I was brought up in a family with a strong belief in the almighty. Last week six young kids burned alive in a house that was put on fire by their father, because he was angry with his wife. Why didn't the almighty do anything to protect these innocent children? I can make a very long list of things that happen all the time that makes me wonder whether God do or doesn't exist. So I suppose Nawn has a point, welcome to the forums Nawn.
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Well, I see your point, Sign. But, the fact that bad things happen doesn't disprove the existance of a creator any more than the fact that good things also happen doesn't prove the existence thereof, either... Our friend Nawn is certainly entitled to his/her beliefs (I believe Nawn is female, Nawn said "I am not a man" earlier). Nawn has said in every post so far, words to the effect "We all know God doesn't exist", which, is as presumptuous (sp?) as me saying "We all know God exists". We can positively "know" neither of those statements...only base our belief or non belief on conclusions we arrive at based on evidence (and individual interpretation thereof) we experience ourselves. We certainly have had our share of religious debates here on this forum. Oh, and I shall have to look up that bet you speak of, Eliot... :D

[quote][i]Originally posted by Nawn[/i]: I've lived in USA for 10 months. (snip) I'm getting real sick of hearing " God bless America" all the time. Why does God bless America not other countries?[/quote][b]Nawn[/b], welcome to the site and to the US. I hope that this post will help you to understand our cultural customs a little better. If someone sneezes, it is considered good manners for anyone nearby to say either "God bless you" or "gesundheit." In fact, I would go as far to say that most people consider it to be poor manners if one doesn't respond with either of those choices. Of these two options, "God bless you" is a far more common response. The use of the phrase "God bless you" doesn't imply that the person who said it wishes for God to [i]only[/i] bless the one who sneezed. Similarly, one should not assume that when someone says "God bless America" that this person doesn't wish for God to bless any other countries. It merely indicates the current focus, as the other did when responding to a sneeze. I hope that this helped. Good luck in school.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b]Wow there's a lot of activity here tonight! While I was writing my reply, [b]sign[/b] and [b]Eliot[/b] replied and [b]Tedster[/b] posted [i]twice[/i]! Hello to all of you. I hope life is treating you all well![/b][/quote]Ha! it's around noon in the Netherlands and I'm having vacation! The sun shines bright and I wish you guys and gals peace and happiness, especially the grandfathers!!!! Peace, Han
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b][b]Han[/b], good afternoon then. :) By the way, how is [b]Joosje[/b]? Have her tumors continued to shrink? I hope that she is well![/b][/quote]Thanks! Joosje has had a scan a couple of weeks ago and the tumors kind of stabalized. July 26 she will become 50, but she looks like 35. Thanks again! Peace, Han

Most of you are missing my point. God doesn't exist. That's what I believe. Why do I want to say "God doesn't exist" and make you annoyed? Because you say "God bless America". That's what you believe. If you are happy with your religion, there's nothing wrong. There's absolutely none of my business. Freedom of religion But, if you say things like "God bless America", in public. I'll ask you "Where's God?" and tell you what I believe. The internet is not America. Even though there may not be freedom of religion here in America, I'll keep living here. It's not true that I don't want to go back to my country. But, I can't change my plan now. Besides, I love American music. I wanted to come to America so badly. ;) P.S I'll come to this site again, but I'm going to change my name. :D

Dude. You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean.

If a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

No problem, Nawn... Let me also clarify. Whomever resides in whatever country they reside in is just as free to ask God to bless that country as we are to say "God Bless America". If you live in Canada, go ahead, say "God Bless Canada". You are equally free to say "God Bless Germany" or "France" or wherever. But, in reality, God is not nationalistic. He blesses those individuals who He calls His children, not nations. So, you are correct. It is absolutely inappropriate to ask God to bless anything with corruption in it, such as any given form of Government.

[b]Han[/b], it's good to know that at least she is stable. You know I'm in her corner! :thu: --------------- [b]Nawn[/b], there [i]is[/i] freedom of religion here, there just isn't freedom [i]from[/i] religion! :D It's a subtle difference, but an important one to note. It's just like freedom of speech. We each have the right to express ourselves, but we can't escape hearing things we don't like from time to time. One may not like religion, but one can't escape hearing about it. Also, even people in this country who don't believe in God routinely use the word "God" in common phrases like "God bless you," "God dammit," and "Oh my God." There was a funny line uttered once by an atheist character in one of the best loved American sitcoms of all-time, "All In The Family:" [i]"It's times like this that I thank God I'm an atheist!"[/i] I understand why it may bother you. It's tough to be in the minority and feel like the majority is pushing their views down your throat. It may feel like Americans are pushing nationalism at you, and it may feel like we're pushing religion at you. All I'm asking you to keep in mind is that sometimes "God" is just a word and usually "God bless" is just an expression of sympathy. Maybe it's used as a way of showing concern for someone who sneezed, or maybe it's a way of showing compassion for the thousands of lives lost and the sense of safety we all lost in the United States on September 11th.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

[quote]Originally posted by Nawn: [b]P.S I'll come to this site again, but I'm going to change my name. :D [/b][/quote]Nawn: I don't think you are an intentional troll. Sometimes these forums have a tightly wound set of ethics and a newbie can run afoul of them without realizing it. No worries. Change your name if you like. Don't if you don't want to. Sit around and enjoy the companionship. :D That said does "God bless America" build a wall? Well if you don't believe in God the blessing part can't be actual right? It's the mind set of the people you are worried about. Well perhaps it would please you to know that some of us say: "God bless America, and God bless the middle-east and God bless Afghanistan and God bless China and Nepal and ........" Well you get the idea. On the other hand, if you believe the blessing is real, it is very simple to appropriate for any people. Perhaps one has to be simple to appropriate this blessing? :) Cheers, Jerry

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]God Bless America is an old song and not intended to insult anyone. We also have another old saying around here. ALL YOUR BASE ARE OURS! Some people consider that offensive.[/b][/quote]Yeah, because ME BASE IS MINE, hands off. (That has got to be the weirdest Flash animation I've ever seen) Seriously, here's a brief history of the song God Bless America. [url=http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/trm019.html]God Bless America[/url] So it should be fairly inoffensive considering it started life as a show tune. It would totally rag out supremacists to learn it was written by an immigrant - Russian - Jew. He wrote great Christmas songs too.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b][b]Han[/b], it's good to know that at least she is stable. You know I'm in her corner! :thu: .[/b][/quote]Well Geoff, I really appreciate your concern, thanks bro! :thu: :thu: Peace, Han

By the way Geoff, Theodore and other "vampires", don't you guys need some sleep now and then? :D

Is "God Bless America" a statement, or a request? With cops beating blacks already handcuffed, CEOs waltzing off with workers' pensions, and the West burning up, we could [i]use[/i] some blessings! ------------------- Allah Bless America! ;)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Sign, I understand your difficulty with the seeming juxtaposition of a God and the world we live in. I'll begin by saying that I am not interested in arguing. If you don't agree with me, no amount of typing on my part will convince you; you have to come to a realization yourself. I'm simply trying to provide a view for those who are interested. I will surely answer any questions, but like I said, I'm NOT looking for a debate. I believe that God has provided man with a choice as weather or not we will believe in him and submit our lives to him. He did this because He loves us, and he wants us to love him in return. The only way that we could possibly love him in return is if he provided us with the oportunity not to love him. If I locked my dog into a cage for a month, I would be a fool to say "My dog loves me; I've had him for a month and he hasn't run away once." Love is meaningless unless there is a choice involved. Given the choice of an individual to love or not to love God will surely result in a number who decide not to. As a result, some will act in ways that have no resemblence of God's love for us. It breaks God's heart when this happens, but he alows it to happen because to force us to act in accordance with his will would not be acting in love. I hope this helps you to understand. If you want to know more, read the first chapter or Mere Chirstianity by C.S. Lewis; he explains this in a much more elagent and meaningful manner than I could. Nawn, my heart goes out to you. Your statements don't upset me, they just sadden me in a way that you would be sadenned by a starving child that refuses to eat.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]God Bless America is an old song and not intended to insult anyone. We also have another old saying around here. ALL YOUR BASE ARE OURS! Some people consider that offensive.[/b][/quote]I thought it was: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Archived