Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For the faith

Hey guys and gals,

have not posted up here for a while (mum always said if you dont have anything helpful to say, go and drink the stuff under the sink :) )

Before i start im sorry if this gets a bit personal. Thing is, i joined a uni band recently and i really dig all the guys in the outfit but they keep really raggin on me because of my faith.

Its not that im a total christian but im looking into it at the mo as i re-evaluate some stuff. Its also not that the guys are assholes ethier but it does piss me off sometimes.

Anyone else had this before? should i quit?

Much Love :thu:

Dave

p.s Jeremy, i appologise if my spelling sucks, im writing this in a hurry :)

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uni is an interesting place. It's full of folks that think they understand life, politics, religion and society more than anyone else in the world; and that's just the freshmen. ;)

Why should your faith bother them? Would they rag on you if you were an agnostic? A jew? A muslim?

Being Christian isn't "in" these days, especially in universities. Whatever.

These guys sound like tools. You can do better.

As long as you aren't pushing your faith on others, I'm fine with whatever you've got.

I went on a date with a witch (no really!) and her wican ways didn't turn me off. What ended it for me was when she started making comments on Christianity (she was raised Baptist.)

I'm one of the first to tell a Catholic joke (of which I am) or admit to a failing with the church, but it's the faith that's important.

Anyway, back out of the theological, what makes these guys think that they have the right to rip on you?

ATM

Sounds like they're just immature. People get ragged on for all sorts of things; religion and skin color are historically some of the favorites. For some reason, though, making fun of some things is taboo and tasteless (disabilities, family tragedies) while others (faith, sense of style, musical preferences, intelligence) isn't. Tell your band mates that you would appreciate it if your personal convictions got put in the off-limits category.

If they can't do that, either tell them to sod off or play nasty: if one of them had a sister that just died of cancer, announce at the beginning of practice that you have some great news that your own sister has so far not died of cancer, and how great that is! They'll act all offended and then you say, "Oh wait, I guess what I just did was totally inappropriate because it bothered you, but what you do is totally appropriate even though it bothers me?"

I dunno, I guess I'm just feeling a little feisty today.

Originally posted by ClarkW:

Sounds like they're just immature. People get ragged on for all sorts of things; religion and skin color are historically some of the favorites. For some reason, though, making fun of some things is taboo and tasteless (disabilities, family tragedies) while others (faith, sense of style, musical preferences, intelligence) isn't. Tell your band mates that you would appreciate it if your personal convictions got put in the off-limits category.

WORD! :cool:

I once played in a blues band, where I was a mildly-imbibing Christian with 3 drinking-drugging Jewish guys. Yes, I got ragged on; but I just witnessed with a grin (use words only if necessary as St Francis said) and played the best bass lines in town (my apologies to Gary Grainger and Fred Loudon,if they were gigging those nights). And when one of them sobered up, the other two started raggin' on him for not being able to handle his stuff. He was glad I was there to support him when he needed it. But guess what? the band didn't last long- big shocker there! And the singer/stoner- about 4 years ago, he just didn't wake up one morning. Me? I'm still breathing (good song, by Big Tent Revival, by the way).

Anyway, be comforted, don't back down, but bear it all for the sake of the truth. And if you need support, we're here for you.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by way2fat:

Q: Why don't Baptists believe in sex?

A: It might lead to dancing.

I heard it:

Why don't baptists have sex standing up?

They may be accused of dancing.

Seriously, this is an opportunity for you thru your actions to dispell some of the prejudices and stereotypes that they may have built up about christians so far. Of course, at first you have to be somewhat tolerant of intolerance. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by lug:

Seriously, this is an opportunity for you thru your actions to dispell some of the prejudices and stereotypes that they may have built up about christians so far. Of course, at first you have to be somewhat tolerant of intolerance. :D

Well said, Lug!

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

Originally posted by lug:

Well said, Lug!
Thanks, I've even learned to be tolerant of <> guitar players. THAT takes an inner peace not easily found on one's journey thru life.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Have a talk with them about. They might think you're being too sensitive, but they'll either kick you out (in which case you don't belong with those punks aways) or they start respecting you.

Take a stand, but that's my opinion as of late.

In Skynyrd We Trust

Strangely enough, the band I was in that was MOST accepting of my Christian beliefs was a Goth band. While a bunch of other bar bands I was in ragged me from everything from my non-smoking non-drinking ways and my faith, the Goth guys were incredibly respectful.

It's not the type of band or the type of music you're around that will get you down. It's the type of human beings.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

If you wear your religion on your sleeve, you may be subject to a lot of kidding.

If your religion makes you feel that you are superior to others, you may encounter a lot of resistance.

There usually is a lot of kidding, dirty jokes, insults and general nonsense going in any band.

You can always say you don't like jokes that are too personal. But of course that might lead to even more of them.....they are just trying to see if you can take it.

I don't care what your religion is and I hope you don't care what my religion is. I am serious about my religion and I don't usually mention it to my friends because it is unlikely that they will understand why. And they shouldn't have to.

As far as I am concerned, we are all equal until proven otherwise.

Thank you guys and Gals

Im not in any way forcing my religion on people because i happen to belive that (to quote Kevin Smith in Dogma) its does'nt matter what faith you follow as long as you have faith. That may sound stupid but i just dont think the guys in the band get the hole belief in God thing.

However we were at the union bar and i talked to them about it so all is now well, i knew it was just band banter but it just bite me a bit hard. In fact the drummer now wants to know if im ok to jam a cover of "highway to hell" :P . One extreme to the other i guess

Cheers guys

Much Love :thu:

Dave

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Dave - I'm glad you were able to talk to your bandmates, and I'm glad that it worked out.

If you are going through a re-evaluation in life, it's hard to put up with a great deal of grief. Sometimes having to fight back (unnecessarily) makes one hold harder to ideas - and that won't help you think through things.

I'm religious, and don't hesitate to mention it or stick up for it when the guys make comments. I'm pretty good about offering another way to look at religion rather than doing any type of evangelization. It's not a problem for them as far as I can tell. And it doesn't stop one guy from referring to me as "the reverend".

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I don't care what your religion is and I hope you don't care what my religion is.
Jeremy, I care what your religion is, and I mean that in a positive way. If you would like to share then I'm sure I would do my best to understand why you believe what you belive. :)

Im not in any way forcing my religion on people because i happen to belive that (to quote Kevin Smith in Dogma) its does'nt matter what faith you follow as long as you have faith.
I do agree that "forcing your faith on people" is both pointless and ineffective. But, yes there is almost always a but, I believe it does matter which faith you follow. Dogma is not exactly the best source to qoute either.

I apologize if anyone feels that I am getting too serious about this, but if so it should'nt have been discussed on this forum. I hope I don't start a heated "discussion" :thu:

Archived