Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wendler - Second Gig UPDATE

SteveC

Thought I'd give a little update on the new bass. I had a gig with the big band last night. Wedding dance - played every waltz and polka in the book.

Anyway, I brought the Wendler along which was a good thing as I had about 2 square feet of space. It performed very well. The sound was very "uprighty" and I recieved many nice comments on the tone. I don't think anyone really missed the upright - except for the "look" it gives.

So far I am running the "blend" of the pickups at about 50/50 with maybe a slight lean to the piezo side. It really sounds like a mic'ed up, amplified upright. It's missing a little of that "true" upright character, but no more than any other UEB - like the Azola I used to own - does.

My hand go a little tired at the end of the night (3 sets) as the neck profile is a little different from my Yamaha, no big deal. It could also be because I hadn't gigged in a while. :)

Transportation is, of course, significantly easier. The bass is so light I had to double check that it was in my gig bag!

I love the simplicity of the passive controls. Nothing to get in the way of the sound. I had to EQ my amp a bit to compensate for the (wonderful) room we were in. Needed to take away some lows.

By the end of the night I was really starting to feel comfortable with the bass. The last few tunes really grooved. I'll be playing in a trio next Friday and Saturday so I'll get to try it in a more intimate setting. I'm sure it will be fantastic. It should sound great in the smaller setting of the piano trio.

I hope you all get a chance to try one sometime. They are a very unique instrument.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds like quite a success story. Replace your upright with a well-made and inexpensively-acquired bass guitar - cool !!

Sounds like next weekend should be lots of fun as well.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Well, I had a jazz quartet gig at the "fancy" restaurant last night. The bass worked great. The guys loved the tone - and the look. I play a lot of 5 and some 6 so I'm still getting used to the feel of that slim neck.

The bass performed better than I did. :( It's been a while since I did a "standards" gig. My solos did get better as the night went on.

Once again, this bass filled the bill nicely. It was great to leave my upright at home.

Archived