Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Player Mag rant

Well another issue of BP that flips me out. Peter Hook on the cover scowling like he's bored to be in the mag. Huge article on this guy and than the transcription, excuse me but you could of figured out this bass part in about two times through the song.

Than to add insult to injury Jerry Jermmotts buried in the back of the mag. Jerry Jermott is an absolute giant of the electric bass. Easily one of the most influenceful bass players since Jamerson.

Put JJ on the cover and how about an extensive interview with him?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol.

something funny about the issue that i was in.

the bass player from Papa Roach was on the page right next to me.

(all the members of Papa Roach went to the same high school as i do, lived in the same town, had some of the same teachers, and have come back and played here mutliple times)

...something quite interesting

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

I got the new issue today, my first issue actually since subscribing. I was disapointed to see this dude on the cover and seeing players I can learn from buried in the back.

Joy Division and New Order are really hot right now, due in large part to the success of Interpol (a contemporary band that sounds A LOT like Joy Division), but also because of the typical nostalgia cycle - everything comes back around. Right now, it's the 80's revival (God help us.)

A lot of the people in bands that are perceived as hip today are in their mid-twenties to mid-thirties and were deeply influeced by the bands of their adolescence, i.e. 80's bands. Joy Division is one of that era that has been particularly influential.

All of which is to say that Jeremy's right - BP covers are driven by expected sales.

Damn'd right. I enjoyed the living hell out of the magazines lately. (I am a subscriber)

Of course if you look at the interviews verses the music I like, you see all of my favorite bassist have been mentioned.

(quickly, band names)

Interpol

Mars Volta

Joy Division

Pixies

Metallica

Primus

New Order

Duran Duran

James Brown

Rancid

In my mind they are batting a thousand.

And when they bring someone to the magazine that I have no point of refrence with I try to learn what I can from that as well.

In particular to that category - Dave Holland I believe his name is and a few of the other upright players.

I will resubscribe and I have greatly enjoyed the changes and direction the magazine is going.

The ability to see a couple of our forumites in the pages has been icing on the cake.

The only slightly negative comment I have is that more content would be nice. I understand the delicate balance necessary to make the monthly publication possible, yet like any greed American consumer, I feel that I am entitled to more than I pay for.

With that in mind, lay off. Its exactly what I want.

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

It would be nice to get my April issue in the mail at the begining of April, not the end. I subscribe to a magazine to not only save a coulpla bucks, but to get it before it hits the news stands.

As for the covers, yeah they sell magazines, but transcribed songs would do wonders for sales too (hint hint BP folks). And not just a line or two from a song, a whole song.

Call it..... pointless?

Here is a link to my other art, hope you enjoy!

My MySpace page

Originally posted by Panick:

It would be nice to get my April issue in the mail at the begining of April, not the end.

...And not just a line or two from a song, a whole song.

Where do you live? I got my April issue in mid March. I typically receive my issue in the middle of the month prior.

Also, the revamped BP seems to now have two complete song transcriptions per issue.

As for the initial rant that opened the thread, I realized that I don't care that much who's on the cover. I usually enjoy learning about whoever it is, and often find a relatively good balance of bassists between the covers.

My rant: Where was the April Fool's joke in this past April issue?! There used to be some pretty funny and relatively subtle stuff in past April issues!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Never was a big Joy Division/New Order fan, even back when they first came out. So I'm kind of surprised that he was given the cover. But no biggie. Anyone who's a big fan of Entwistle can't be all bad, right?

As to the new layout- I think they're doing pretty well. There are more artists covered, I think; even though it may be smaller segments: 1/2 page; 1 page. And a wider variety in each issue, it seems to me. I've noticed more attention to upright players lately, too.

SW- I think their April Fools joke was the "Next Issue" box where they make light of the heat they're getting from their String Review issue.

I hope the joke wasn't the "Dan- you've won our giveaway" letter I got last week.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by ATM:

My rant. I decided that $19.95 wasn't a bad deal. I signed up. I'm waiting. I'm waiting. How many months before I'm sent the first one? :mad:

ATM

Mee too. Signed up feb 28 i believe....

Peter Hook isn't a very technical player and I'm not particularly a fan of Joy Division or New Order. But they are among the most influential and critically lauded bands of the past 30 years. The bass playing style is pretty idiosyncratic and one of the first things that strikes you about the band's sound - one of the few bass players to invent a style even non-bass players notice immediately. And as others have said they *are* hot just now with the 80's revival represented by The Strokes, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand and a host of others. I'm not surprised he's got a BP cover, and notwithstanding his band's music isn't exactly my taste, I don't think it's undeserved either.

This months BP Magazine has one song transcribes, "The Thrill is Gone". Another bass guitar magazine that I won't name on a BP Mag linked site has on average 3 songs transcribed and usually lessons that include the main riff or solo of other songs.

As for who BP has on their covers, I think they have made some pretty fine choices as I look thru my back issues. Pretty eclectic mix of folks, all very talented in their own right.

Call it..... pointless?

Here is a link to my other art, hope you enjoy!

My MySpace page

It really does'nt matter much to me who is on the cover or whatnot after not recieving my BP fix for almost a year. I let my subscription go awol for most part of a year, finally got hooked back up and recieved the fore mentioned issue. SpongeBob Squarepants coulda been on the cover and I still would have satisfied.
Donnie Peterson

Actually BP had two song transcriptions. The Thrill is Gone and Sunday Morning. I get a little ticked when people complain about who is on the cover. Peter Hook played in a very influential band. Why shouldn't he be on the cover? Sure his basslines are relatively simple, but what about Kim Deal from the Pixies? She was on the cover a few months back. She doesn't play anything technically amazing. Again she was involved in a very influential band. I guess people could be discussing this until the sun goes down. I'm not going to be one of them.

My copy came today on the 5th of May.

I live within easy driving distance of the BP offices. I do know that it is mailed from Denver or some weird place like that.

Other than not getting it sooner, I've got no complaints. I like the new format. And after all, they have quoted me twice in the magazine over the years.

Well, I had sent in my subscription request within time to receive the issue with BGO. Still nada and the bookstore already has the next issue out. :mad:

ATM

P.S. Hey! Anybody from BP out there reading this? I want to do business with you! You know how to get ahold of me!

Originally posted by Quinn:

Joy Division and New Order are really hot right now....A lot of the people in bands that are perceived as hip today are in their mid-twenties to mid-thirties and were deeply influeced by the bands of their adolescence, i.e. 80's bands. Joy Division is one of that era that has been particularly influential.

Is this one of those "hip bands"? Spam for my old band with their joy division feel (so I've been told). old band spam!
A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

As quoted by BC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Hook isn't a very technical player and I'm not particularly a fan of Joy Division or New Order. But they are among the most influential and critically lauded bands of the past 30 years. The bass playing style is pretty idiosyncratic and one of the first things that strikes you about the band's sound - one of the few bass players to invent a style even non-bass players notice immediately. And as others have said they *are* hot just now with the 80's revival represented by The Strokes, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand and a host of others. I'm not surprised he's got a BP cover, and notwithstanding his band's music isn't exactly my taste, I don't think it's undeserved either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Comment,

When I was 18 i listened to Iggy and the Stooges, and the MC5 but I don't think Dave Alexander or Mike Davis deserve to be on the cover of Bass Player Magazine. The bands were influencial, but the bass players weren't.

I admit to being a huge Jerry Jerrmott fan, but he was one of Jaco's biggest influences and He deserves a Cover.

It ain't about me it's about Jerry.

the phone is the only way to go when placing a subscription. the online stuff is VERY slow

When you call, they may not even have you in their system as having ordered a subscription.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Originally posted by rockinredneck69:

... SpongeBob Squarepants coulda been on the cover and I still would have satisfied.

Now THIS is what I'm wondering: what kind of gear would SpongeBob Squarepants play? I'm thinking a Gibson Thunderbird through an Ampeg SVT head and 8x10 cab...

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

This is who I want on the cover:

http://home.jps.net/~jeremy/lisabass.jpg

Think of the sales that would generate.

Then we could have all articles inside about my favorite players:

Chuck Rainey

Abraham Laboriel

Anthony Jackson

Neil Stubenhaus

Nathan East

Paul Jackson

Bernard Edwards

(in no particular order and excluding a few household names that we all take for granted).

I think all those guys have actually been on the cover except for Neil.

I went to a discussion lead by Guitar Player's editors once where they quoted the difference in sales figures for when they had Jimi Hendrix on the cover and when they had a jazz guitarist.

It was incredible. That's why I'm not too upset with these eighth note ignoramuses on the cover...as long as they still keep putting the good guys inside.

Next I expect someone to put "Eighth Note Ignoramus....and proud of it" in their signature line. :D

If you do, you owe me royalties each time it is printed. ;)

I just went out and picked up the May issue today since I have yet to subscribe. I was suprised when I read through the articles in question here.

With Jerry Jemmott being "an absolute giant of the electric bass," couldn't they have picked a better bass line for the transcription?

I admit that I'm not very familiar with his playing but from what I've been reading in this thread I'm sure he's played much more interesting stuff.

After glancing through it I realized that I probably could have listened to the song once and played along almost note for note the second time through. There were complaints about Peter Hook's transcription being simple but this is right up there with it.

I understand that the mag has to cater to the needs of a very diverse and somewhat eclectic family of readers at all different skill levels, but why can't we get a transcription to something like ToP's "Credit" once in a while? Not that I could play it even if I had it transcribed, but how much more interesting and $5.99-worthy would that be?

Archived