Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To Need or To Not Need ?

PanicYou

Well after the last two band practices i have come to the conclusion that i think i may need an acoustic bass

A. My parents are pretty fed up with all the noise.

B. It will make the writing music aspect a much more easier task since theres no lugging of amps around.

Knowing nothing about acoustic bass's which would you reccomend for a reasonable price. Im really broke, as always... but i think it may be something to look foward to in the future.

Mike-

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by PanicYou:

Well after the last two band practices i have come to the conclusion that i think i may need an acoustic bass

A. My parents are pretty fed up with all the noise.

B. It will make the writing music aspect a much more easier task since theres no lugging of amps around.

Knowing nothing about acoustic bass's which would you reccomend for a reasonable price. Im really broke, as always... but i think it may be something to look foward to in the future.

Mike-

Johnson Acoustic with case.....$219

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7318109116&rd=1

I have one and am pleasantly suprised at how loud it is (for an ABG) and how well it plays. There is certainly nothing near this price that can touch it.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I'd go out and play as many as you can and get what you can afford. Most of the less expensive ones sound about the same, it's really going to depend on what you personally like and what feels good in your hands.

Personally, if I was going to buy one, I'd contact Taylor and have them build me one. They are absolutely amazing. I know they aren't listed in the catalog anymore, but if you are serious, have the scratch, and you call them, they'll build one for you.

IMO you need to plan on a small amp to go with your AE if you want to play with anyone else.

I get my M. Kelly Dragonfly 5 next month and am currently shopping small battery powered amps. :thu:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by mattulator:

IMO you need to plan on a small amp to go with your AE if you want to play with anyone else.

I agree. In which case, you may as well solve your problems by using headphones for playing at home (I do this through a multieffects unit; many amps will play through headphones too), and getting a smaller amp for practices.

If you do a search on the topic, you'll find the overwhelming consensus is that an acoustic bass will not be heard in a group unless it's amplified. So you may as well skip the acoustic & get a more portable amp.

I agree. In which case, you may as well solve your problems by using headphones for playing at home
Amen. I used to use the jack on my effects unit but now I play through my board. I can crank it 'till the headphones turn to mud.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

You need to turn down your amp more than you need an acoustic bass guitar.

Listen to this man! Or take it a step further and practice unplugged in a suitably quiet room - works for me...

I don't see how you can have any sort of band practice with just an unamplified acoustic bass guitar - anything more than a lone classical guitar will drown most ABGs out unless you're beating seven shades out of it! Or course, you be holding down the bottom in a flute+bass quartet...

Alex

Dean Playmate EAB

My dad bought me one of these for my 26th birthday about 3 months ago. $150. This thing is so much fun. Understand, it is a cheap ABG, but it does it's job amazingly well for the price. It doesn't drive my girlfriend nuts when I play in our apartment and it is easy to take outside onto the porch. I haven't tried to compete against a guitar and I don't really expect it to keep up if I ever do.

It smells like glue and it needs a decent set of strings (I'm thinking Dean Markley Acoustic) and a truss rod adjustment. I'm going to sit down with it this weekend. The materials aren't the world's greatest.

All this being said.... I would get another one (or something a little nicer ala Michael Kelly or Takamine) if it was stolen.

Its really more for when me and my guitarist sit down and write. When we write he uses his acoustic as well. Eh well it was just an idea but i guess a Smaller amp would be a little more effective. Then again having a decent bass with out the worry of that good ole' electricity sounds interesting.

I have an relatively good inexpensive Ovation ABG, and I absolutely love it, for many reasons. However, one of these reasons is NOT to sit down and play unplugged with other people, even acoustic guitarists or signers (tried them both). Even if the people you play with will say they hear you (which I doubt), YOU won't hear yourself enough while playing unplugged with others. So either you plug it (but then, what's the use? - unless you want that specific tone) or you play it by yourself - which is what I do and enjoy very much.

i picked up a michael kelly acoustic-electric fretless recently. it's beautiful to look at, and it plays wonderfully: the inlay is smooth and impressive, and after a string change it was perfect. decent unpluged volume and tone, as well - enough to compete with an acoustic guitar and sound good, at least.

but as everyone's said, playing is believing.

is it just me, or is there some more gravity?

Originally posted by bassric:

I have an relatively good inexpensive Ovation ABG, and I absolutely love it, for many reasons. However, one of these reasons is NOT to sit down and play unplugged with other people, even acoustic guitarists or signers (tried them both). Even if the people you play with will say they hear you (which I doubt), YOU won't hear yourself enough while playing unplugged with others. So either you plug it (but then, what's the use? - unless you want that specific tone) or you play it by yourself - which is what I do and enjoy very much.

Agreed. I find great uses for ABG's in recording. You can't really duplicate the "acoustic" sound properties with an electric.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by vitus:

i picked up a michael kelly acoustic-electric fretless recently. it's beautiful to look at, and it plays wonderfully: the inlay is smooth and impressive, and after a string change it was perfect. decent unpluged volume and tone, as well - enough to compete with an acoustic guitar and sound good, at least.

but as everyone's said, playing is believing.

Mine Kelley's fretted, and it works unamplified when I'm playing in the living room or with a friend in a small room. Plus it maintains the "acoustic vibe" when you're jamming with the folkies. I'll get the fretless version when they bring the price down another $100 or so.

:D

Its really more for when me and my guitarist sit down and write. When we write he uses his acoustic as well. Eh well it was just an idea but i guess a Smaller amp would be a little more effective. Then again having a decent bass with out the worry of that good ole' electricity sounds interesting.

The following post is presented almost entirely as a humor piece.

Most amps actually have a smaller version of themselves automatically built-in, but the user's manual doesn't always make this clear. Anyway, here's a general guide to how to make this work.

1. If you have multiple cabinets plugged in, unplug all but one of them. Since we're going to be activating the Smaller Amp feature, we don't want to risk underpowering the additional cabs and frying any of our gear!

2. On your amp there should be a collection of knobs, buttons, and switches. Locate this general area.

3. One of these, most often a knob, will be labeled something like this: "Master Volume." Often it may just be labeled as "Master" or "Volume," and in some cases it might be labeled "Gain" or something like that. For purposes of brevity from here on out, we will call this the "Master Volume Knob."

4. Now we must determine what the current setting for the Master Volume Knob is. Most often, it will be labeled from 1 to 10, and the number in the 12 o'clock position of the knob is the current setting. Sometimes (as on my SWR amp, ADA MB-1 preamp) there is merely a line drawn on the knob, and its location with respect to an imaginary clock face would be considered the current setting, usually on a scale running from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock or somewhere in that neighborhood, with 12 o'clock being the midpoint. Let's remember this value as the Current Volume Setting. This is probably where you last left your volume after playing with your group ensemble.

5. Now I am going to present a conversion chart which will allow you determine what value you should turn your Master Volume Knob to, based on your Current Volume Setting, in order to activate the Smaller Amp emulation circutry in your rig.

First, for number-based Master Volume Knobs

If CurVolSet = 10, turn MasVolKnob to 1.

If CurVolSet = 9, turn MasVolKnob to 1.

If CurVolSet = 8, turn MasVolKnob to 1.

If CurVolSet = 7, turn MasVolKnob to 1.

If CurVolSet = 6, turn MasVolKnob to 1.

If CurVolSet = 5, turn MasVolKnob to 1.

If CurVolSet = 4, turn MasVolKnob to 1.

If CurVolSet = 3, turn MasVolKnob to 1.

If CurVolSet = 2, turn MasVolKnob to 1.

If CurVolSet = 1, Smaller Amp emulation circutry is already engaged, and if it's still too loud, you should then consider purchasing a physically smaller amplifier.

Now for clock-based Master Volue Knobs

If CurVolSet = 5 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 4 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 3 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 2 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 1 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 12 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 11 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 10 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 9 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 8 o'clock, turn MasVolKnob to 7 o'clock.

If CurVolSet = 7 o'clock, Smaller Amp emulation circutry is already engaged, and if it's still too loud, you should then consider purchasing a physically smaller amplifier.

Hopefully this small guide has helped you to discover new and interesting features of your current gear. Feel free to reproduce and disseminate this guide to all those of your friends who may need it.*

*Note: This guide is not warranteed for use with guitar and keyboard amps, but personal experience has found it to be quite effective nonetheless. There is currently no established procedure, however, for activating any sort of "Quieter Drummer" feature. Early attempts have met with great disappointment and failure, and indeed have lead many to posit that such a thing, while theoretically possible, is practically improbable, if not impossible.

Panic, don't buy an acoustic bass for band practice.

Not lugging around an amp for just songwriting a very decent reason for an acoustic bass. However, volume might be an issue with even just a guitar or 2.

Therefore, I'd suggest buying a small practice amp to leave at the place where you write. That way, no lugging around an amp plus, if you get something similiar to the Pignose, your next campfire can be a lot of fun.

Of course, this is my opinion.

In Skynyrd We Trust

I've said it before and I'll say it again!

http://www.aaaaamusic.com/images/P1010031.JPG?SSImageQuality=Full

I believe the sombrero is optional.

you are missing the point, i dont want to lug amps around. Ill be sure to print a copy of that guide though, might come in handy eh...

Yes, but I believe the point is you don't use a fork to eat cereal and milk...

Ah, I didn't realize that practice was at the guitar player's house. Make him haul his oh-so-heavy acoustic over to your house. For other occasions, though, it's definitely handy to have a small amp. I believe the fundamental laws of physics as we know them preclude any rig from including a Drastic Size and Weight Reduction button. And if I'm mistaken, please kindly direct me towards any such manufacturer so that I may throw as much money at them as is their whimsy to demand for such a product.

Yes, but I believe the point is you don't use a fork to eat cereal and milk...
zing!

how witty :D

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Archived