Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple/Emagic petition - SIGN IT!!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Rhythm n beatz!! :thu: Now I fell so much better about loosing this $1000+ investment, let alone the TIME I have into learning everything about it!! Sign it!!! :mad:

Tim Dolbear

De La Bear Music Group

Eclectica Recordings

Eclectica Studios

www.eclecticarecordings.com

www.mixposse.com

"That singer's pitch was a knuckle ball!!!" TD

[quote]Originally posted by Rhythm n beatz: [b]I think they will change for the better if windows support is dropped. Just my opinion.[/b][/quote]Yeah,they'll go from 1.5ms w/WDM(if they saw past ASIO) in NT with DDR and a faster and cheaper and more effecient proccessor to 2.9 ms w/Core audio with SDRAM and a more expensive and slower proccessor on an OS that isn't even a reality yet.No,they went backwards(big time)and Jobs pulled a power play with no power,simple as that.They also said goodbye to about 42 million bucks which theyr'e not getting back making their stockholders even more ecstatic.1.5ms with WDM on NT is a reality now,2.9 ms with core audio is a possibility in the furure.Nobody's being fooled here.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I signed it Tim, but I doubt it will make any difference. They've made up their minds, they have their "reasons" - even if they make little or no sense to a lot of Logic Windows users... I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them changing their minds.

Whether the sales figures are correct or not,they still kissed a lot of money goodbye.I hope Apple intends to make up for it development-wise for Mac users sake if you get my drift. http://alexanderpublishing.com/emagic/

Here's an idea: Before you get all worked up and protesting at Apple for doing this, maybe you could back up on the 'to-do' list and harass Gibson for fucking over Opcode users; like those who piss and moan about their emagic investments, I (among plenty of others) made a similar investment a few years back in StudioVision (and all things Opcode). I never got note ONE out of the setup and by the time I was able to get tech support on the phone, they were cleaning out their desks. Now, I realize that most of you complaining about it have had your systems up and running for a number of years, and the personal economics of your situation are different than mine, but the tone I'm hearing about all of this suggests that it's the worst crime to hit the world of processor-based music production since Milli Vanilli; one might walk away with the impression that there are simply no other options for you. Yes, it'll cost money, but what DOESN'T nowdays? We're screwed, no matter where we turn. It's up to you to find a way out of it or stock up on Vaseline. Not to sound flip, but just consider it a fresh challenge...hell, you might find an even BETTER system out there now. As for me, I will now consider emagic, as Apple is all I've ever used, and was always left with the impression that they were a PC centric platform, which left me with one less option. There are many others like me in that regard. Opcode eeks along today because of a dedicated user group. Perhaps instead of e-grousing about that which you cannot change, take the time to stock up NOW on all the advice and support that you can, and start researching and saving for a new system, riding this one out 'til it runs no more.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by Eliot: [b]He's right. [/b][/quote]No,he's wrong.Opcode went out of buisness,Emagic abandoned a loyal user base.It's not the worst thing to happen,but it is nonetheless a childish powerplay at the users expense,nothing more,nothing less.It's funny you should mention Opcode,exactly what I was thinking.

Yes, Opcode went out of business. Re-read my post. They 'eek' along--that doesn't necessarily mean they're in business--because of a dedicated support group of users; in this case, that means you subscribe to a BB that clogs your mailbox every couple of days. But people STILL use Opcode, and there is still tech support out there, but it's at a grass-roots level...hence, the whole point of my suggestion: Get a grass-roots thing going, get all the info and updates you can, establish contacts, investigate a new option, start saving, and use what you have until it dies. Worked for Opcode, it'll work for you. "Buy a new Mac: $3,000" Don't do much research, do ya, dbmusic?

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Eliot: [b]He's right. [/b][/quote]No,he's wrong.Opcode went out of buisness,Emagic abandoned a loyal user base.It's not the worst thing to happen,but it is nonetheless a childish powerplay at the users expense,nothing more,nothing less.It's funny you should mention Opcode,exactly what I was thinking.[/b][/quote]I hear you, and I promise I'm not trying to be antagonistic. I have a reasonably well-founded suspicion that Apple looked at the percentages and saw that around 75 per cent of the Logic helpline was being eaten up by 25 percent of the user-base, to whit the PC guys, and based their decision on that too. What I was getting at, also, was that Apple really is serious about giving folks a solid and unarguable reason to switch platforms.....more on this mid-week .

This is obviously a thread directed at windows logic users, and trying to preserve our preferred platform. Why do lurkers have to come in and talk shit about "well, see this is really the best because..." Bullshit. I wipe my ass with whatever these lurkers have to chime in about.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Bottom line - if you hang your being on a software company you will get screwed eventually, and it's not going to be pleasant. There's no point in getting deeply emotionally invested in it unless you're willing to accept the possibility that you will be beating a lone drum, even if the outcome is the worst. I went through this with BeOS - Be Inc. totally fucked up their relationships with those who were on their side, so they had little behind them to face down the onslaught from M$. In the end, they turned their backs on their userbase & sold the OS to Palm, who likely will keep it from anyone else as far as development goes. So what? Well, there are still a few of us crazy enough :D to continue on in the face of all that. There are still a handful of people developing apps, and more that are working on OpenBeOS, an open-source reimplementation of the BeOS API that is actually making some decent progress. Our hope is that we can get a replacement up to speed that is open for future development - because you cannot put that kind of faith in a company's existance. (Ask anyone who held Enron & MCI stock 6 months ago...)

[quote]Originally posted by Franknputer: [b]Bottom line - if you hang your being on a software company you will get screwed eventually, and it's not going to be pleasant. There's no point in getting deeply emotionally invested in it unless you're willing to accept the possibility that you will be beating a lone drum[/b][/quote]That I totally agree with.In fact hanging your being on any thing but your own talent/mind/hands is a foundation that doesnt really exsist.Iv'e learned that lesson the hard way,and not with software.

Posted above in an otherwise utterly devoid of understanding post was the observation that you "might find an even BETTER system out there" I am one of the lucky ones who WAS perched upon the threshold of building a dedicated PC to run Logic and it's brethren such as Stylus and a few other choice bits. No longer, needless to say. Because, as Frankenputer observed, I'm tired of hanging my hat on software-dependant tools. It's just tragedy waiting to happen. At this moment an AKAI Z8 (which does have dual platform ak.Sys computer interfacing- BUT also has a detatchable physical control panel) has my name on its little FedEx label and AKAI Gets my $1,600 and Emagic doesn't. I wish I could waggle it in front of their faces. Anyone ever have Software Audio Workshop? They decided to completely drop support for the software that made them a company in favor of selling turnkey systems. You could stay in the SAW club for something like $2,500, so screw them, and us. I still have my copy of SAW Plus 32 someplace. I'm not new to this song 'n dance. The thing about this dumpage is that it was avoidable. Apple wasn't going broke selling Logic to PC users. Until now I haven't really appreciated the open language nature of this forum, because all I want to say to Emagic/Mac today is fuck you, and thanks for doing this now instead of next month.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

"Posted above in an otherwise utterly devoid of understanding post was the observation that you "might find an even BETTER system out there" " Oh, thanks, Stoneknife. I've been wondering where the person who is better qualified to speak about my understanding better than I am, was. You showed up just in time. I'd wager you're a real treat for the family around the holidays. If you're bitter about what's happened--and it's obvious you are--try not to cut down the people who are attempting to look at the positive side of things, okay? Go cut on the folks who started it all--Apple--and not the people on a shared-interest discussion board. One doesn't necessarily have to make friends everywhere they go, but they don't need to make enemies, either.

Archived