Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What would you do if you won the lottery?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My list is not too far off from Lee's actually, save for the underground part...I want light and sky in my studio. Otherwise, maybe I'd do all of this in someplace like Italy, in a manner not unlike where02190.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]My list is not too far off from Lee's actually, save for the underground part...I want light and sky in my studio. [/b][/quote]No reason not to have it. A well designed underground house gets plenty of sunlight and sky.

NYC loft round the corner from Balduchi's delicatessen House in The Boltons Chelsea, London Multistudio complexes in both countries Electric, revolving coat hanger system for my T-shirt collection Holiday homes in a Tuscan hill town, Italy and in the Caribbean a large STAFF inc personal trainer, chauffeur and security personnel. A beautiful but probably nasty, lazy wife with a teenage physique and daughters that hate me... Au Pair and a dog that I like perhaps treat friends to meals, holidays, studio time etc I think I would enjoy that.

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: No reason not to have it. A well designed underground house gets plenty of sunlight and sky.[/QB][/quote]As an architectural designer, I think I know where you're all coming from. There's so much personal taste in this that no-one ever seems to truly get anyone else's vision without significant loss of blood. For example, me. No underground house, however well-designed, will ever touch Frank Lloyd Wright (whether we're talking the Sturges House or FallingWater)but I still love the concept of underground. It's just not me. As for you, Julian, y'g*ddam Limey, the revolving coat-hangers are a great idea. My Mambo shirts could go on them.

There's a few personal things I would do; but, after that I would: * Go meet the Tedster. We'd have the coldest beer and the biggest, juiciest steaks we can find. * Sign up for guitar lessons from Chip. With my luck: Me: Mr. McDonald, I'd like to sign up for lessons. Chip: Let me check my schedule - Oh, I'm sorry, I'm all booked up! No openings!! Ha Ha!!!!
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Go as far north in Alaska as I can get and still get a electrical connection and food and clothes shipped or dropped in and give up all other modern convieniences and communications and just write instrumental music and learn the art of wood carving... perhaps take up the art of smoking a nice joint again.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

[quote]Originally posted by Blues Disciple: [b]Hey Geenard! I live 30 miles from Boone, NC in Wilkesboro at the foot of the mountain...great place to live. When you win the lottery I wanta be part of the studio/coffee shop biz! Two other things I would do: 1. Open a book store/CD store/coffee shop/music hall place 2. Get everything settled and run by responsible people then start a blues band and tour, tour, tour in the best of style! BD[/b][/quote]You're in!!!!! I spent my honeymoon up that way, matter of fact it snowed in Boone April 17th, day after our wedding. Yeah touring without worrying about finances would be fantastic. You know I'd have to have a totally restored antique tour bus. I'd probably have to stop by Lee's and transact with her over the prized Les Paul, make her an offer she can't refuse! :) Aw hell, I'd just get her to run off with me!!!!!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by meccajay: [b] [quote]Originally posted by ernest828@aol.com: [b]W Why someone would wait to contribute to society ONLY after they had a large sum of money is beyond me. There is no better time than the present to do something selfless for someone else no matter where you reside. [/b][/quote]I agree wholeheartedly, which is why my friends and I make it a point to help homeless people whenever we can!! It's certainly not on the scale that we dream of, but it does make a difference! It's part of the advantage of having the friends that I do here in the Atlanta area. Before moving here it never dawned on me how much the common man could help...each one reach one.[/b][/quote]Thank for the sensible posts. I am not rich, but in yet I am still able to contribute several hundred dollars a year to my friends in Kashmir, donate to several non-profit organizations, aid the homeless, put together a web site and serve on the Board of Directors for Captive Daughters (http://www.captivedaughters.org) help brainstorm and organize an event or two, go to Los Angeles Friends of Tibet events, etc. -- and still have time to play in a band, go on vacations, hang out with friends, etc. If people have enough money to purchase recording equipment, they have enough money to throw a few bucks towards a non-profit organization, charity, etc. at the very least. I'm not saying that everyone has to do this, but if people are interested in contributing money when they are rich, well, they can start a bit before that!

[quote]Originally posted by gatorwing: [b] Chip: Let me check my schedule - Oh, I'm sorry, I'm all booked up! No openings!! Ha Ha!!!![/b][/quote]Yeah, but see, the flip side to that story is that the next day ALL OF MY STUDENTS QUIT. As it is, now I (no, I won't bother. Insert Yet Another Screwed Up Story Here). Let's see... Make my parents and friends (remaining) all "rich". The usual, fully equiped studio. Set up a bigger and nicer shelter for the humane society. For a lobbying group to fix clean air standards and clear cutting laws. Buy enough land that I could get a 5 mile loop of singletrack mountain bike trail for myself, designed as I like. Do what I have to do to become self sufficient for life. Whatever is left over spend on funding private medical research on certain topics of interest in a procedural form of my choosing. Finance an independent presidential candiate and run the campaign as I see fit. I want the underground house, only partially. I'll take Wright's Kaufman House/Fallingwater's north elevation (minus structural problems) on the exposed side, with waterfall please and same exact rock formation and foliage. BUT - I want to design the rest. That would be so ultimate: unlimited budget to design a house. I'd eat that alive. A lot of Wright influence from the Robie house. The exterior entrance from the Hollyhock house. Multilevel ceiling elements from the Tonkin house (which I think was a big influence on Deckard's apartment in the movie _Blade Runne_), loosely geometrical slate floors from the drafting room of Taliensen II, my tracking room would feature the music pavilion from Taliesen West, windows would be ala the Meyer May house - windows running floor to ceiling (this would be on the exposed portion during the winter).. These are only additions to the PERFECT creation of Fallingwater. Throw in some bright Monet's, Renoirs and Pissaros to hang on the wall BTW. Fallingwater is like the architectural equivalent of the entire Beatles catalog in one house... Of course all of that is silly. BUT... his Usonian principles WILL be viable for me budget wise one day, and I WILL design a house, blast it. His use of non-formed brick I didn't care for, though.... Either that, or maintain various nice apartments all over the world (we'll start with Monaco, New York, North Myrtle Beach, Isle of Palms, Gold Coast, Kona, side of a west-opening mountain valley near Chimney Rock N.C., Moab, maybe Tokyo), complete with 24/7 net-networked DAWS. Or, whatever location on the planet features the most days at a mean of 74 degrees farenheit (my prefered favorite ambient temperature). Or, the least amount of days below that (which actually might be where I'm living....). I'll take a new Ferrari 360 Modena in red, or two. No, make it a REAL Ferrari, an F-2002. I suppose a Humvee would come in handy as well. No, may as well have an M-1 Abrams. Nah. I'd setup my parents. I'd probably put it in the bank, pay off my house and buy some solar panels, try to be self-sufficient. Maybe a new car and a backup guitar for my main guitar. Sit on the rest perhaps.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b]Depends on how much I won. $100,000,000 - we don't have these kinds of jackpots in Canada.[/b][/quote]$100,000,000 Canadian dollars??? Isn't that about $500.00 USD??? ;) :p

Archived