Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SAE Institute

Hi out there... I'm a student really interested in audio, sound, recording and mixing techniques and so on. I'd like to learn more, and I've seen that in my country (Belgium), there's a new school opening, the SAE Institute. It's private and expensive, but seems serious, training-oriented unlike the other schools available here... I've vivited their site and I've come to the open doors, but I'd like to have a few more points of view than the internal ones, that's why I'm posting here. Do anyone of you know anything interesting about this school? Have someone taught or learned there? I'm pretty interested, please let me know! :thu:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never heard of that school, but in the states there are a lot of bad schools that are more than willing to take naive kids' money and give them poo for real education. I would ask for alumni listings for people who are working in the industry and the attrition rates of students. Make sure they are accreditted. Why would you spend all that money (unless your parents are loaded) for such a one-dimensional education? Get a broad education at a four year university (think about what you'll be doing when you're 40) and intern at a studio. You'll probably be running a lot of cable and doing stupid errands, but that's how a lot of people got into the business. But if that's where your heart's at and you know that you want to do this, maybe the school is right for you. Good luck dude.

Well, the fact is I've studied philosophy for four years (I was diplomed in September 2001). This year, I've learned English, German and other things that I like (circus...). That's why I'm interested in learning the audio techniques (I mean that I don't feel it being restrictive to me). I read articles on the net, I've read some books or chapters abpout synthesis, acoustics, electronics... It doesn't seem too difficult to be self-thaught. But the key is to have access to material so that you can practice... Then of course, being an assistant is a serious option. Thanx for the reply as it helps me thinking more precisely the different options... :idea: ;)

SAE is a VERY well respected school in the USA. Yes it's a little pricey, but in line with other top schools. It's been 15 yrs since I was in recording school and everything has changed considerably. I'm not sure exactly what schools teach any more, but believe me THERE IS A LOT TO LEARN. Yes the information is out there, but most of the time a person just starting out doesn't even know what questions to ask. If you want to be able to compeat in a major music market ... go to school. If it's more just as a supliment to your songwriting skills you might just try buying some gear and learn by doing. There's a lot of help right here in this form too. Good Luck

The fact is that I want to be able to record any instrument. I can play drums and percussion, so of course I must know how to track it (for my interest at first), but if I'm asked to record a string ensemble, a classical pianist or a speaker for a re-recording in a film (these are the things to record that interest me), I want to do it well. On the other side, I own a sampler Emu E5000 Ultra, and as I only have one stereo mic and a minidisc, I'm not afraid to experiment to find sounds. Actually I have two major purposes: be a good recording engineer, and be able to create sounds (I'm learning the basics of synthesis and sound effects step by step). Are there any people from the SAE or people who engaged some diplomed from this school? I'll be interested to know what you think about it... The SAE claims to have taught thousands persons... Tell me there are a few in here! :wave:

Archived