Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz in NYC for the kids

_Sweet Willie_

Dig it.

On Sunday afternoon I took my kids and my parents to the Jazz Standard . This is the jazz club where a few of us forumites caught Richard Bona several weeks ago.

On Sunday afternoons at 2pm they do a weekly jazz show for kids. The band is the Jazz Standard Youth Orchestra. They all appeared to be high school age musicians. There's a $5 "donation" per person and the doors open at 1pm. I recommend making reservations or arriving plenty early; the joint was almost full when we got there at 1:45pm.

So, anyway, I took the kids (8 and 4 yrs old) to catch the show. We had a blast. The musicians are great. I wish I played that well 20 some odd years ago. They did some creative arrangements of some crowd-pleasing favorites -- like "Meet the Flintstones" (yup, the theme from the cartoon) and "If I Only Had a Brain" from The Wizard of Oz. They also played some standards. They finished their show with a blazing rendition of "Donna Lee". :thu:

However, when I take them again I will sit further back from the stage. Yesterday they had 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, a French horn, 5 saxophones, drums, piano, and URB -- some of the horn players doubled on other instruments like flute and oboe. When they all got to blowing, it got pretty loud in there. Realistically, another 20 feet further back probably isn't going to spare us much in terms of volume -- so it might be time for Hearos for the kids. :eek:

Anyway, if you're in, near, or visiting NYC and have kids, or are borrowing some kids -- you know, like nieces and nephews, grandkids, etc. -- this is a pretty cool hang. If you order a lot of food, it can get pricy, but the food (BBQ from the restaurant Blue Smoke upstairs) is excellent.

Just a little FYI for my musical pals.

Peace. :cool:

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Jeremy, for pointing that out.

I really enjoyed their arrangement for "If I Only Had a Brain", and it was done by one of the teen sax players. Good for him!

Even though the young people in the orchestra are playing to a crowd where many of the audience members are distracted some of the time (i.e., let's face it, the 4-yr olds aren't on point throughout the whole show), they seem to be getting some great experience.

The group's drummer was MIA, so one of the sax players, the bassist, and the pianist played a tune as a trio while waiting for the replacement drummer to show up. He sat down behind the kit, put on his cymbals, and jumped in to help them finish out the tune. It was really cool to see this young cat just step in on the fly and then play the rest of the show. It was great to see the group experiment while a "problem" was solved -- the three players just called a tune and went after it.

Peace.

--SW

This link is more precise: Jazz Standard Youth Orchestra .

spreadluv

Yeah, 73 P, I think it would make for a great lunch stop. They also have "crazy stix" on the tables for the young ones -- sort of like pipe cleaners, but made of wax. Kinda cool. My 4-yr old dug 'em, as did his 4 and 6 yr old cousins.

The little ones also enjoyed dancing a little in the aisles.

Do any of them play music?

When I was 12 I had been playing trumpet for a couple of years through my school's music program and had been taking piano lessons for a few years as well.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Do any of them play music?

My 12 yr. old played cello for 2 years, but wasn't into it (I was bummed I would no longer have his lessons to cop). Last year guitar was part of his school's curriculum (wasn't interested). This year, he's in the chorus and learning how to read music!

I'm thinking about getting my 6 yr. old piano lessons, which would have nothing to do with me wanting a keyboard! ;)

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Meet The Flintstones has "rhythm changes"....same as many jazz classics including Anthropology by Charlie Parker, Oleo by Sonny Rollins, and Straighten Up and Fly Right by Nat King Cole.

Totally. Which is why everyone should know rhythm changes in all 12 keys.

This reminds me that I really need to stop being a lazy bastard and start practicing this stuff again on a regular basis.

The name comes from the chord progression to "I Got Rhythm" by George Gershwin. Most jazzers like this progression and many have written their own songs using the same chords.

||F7 D7|Gm7 C7|Am7 D7|Gm7 C7|

|Cm7 F7|Bb7 Eb7|F7 D7|Gm7 C7||

|Cm7 F7|Bb7 Eb7|Gm7 C7|F7 ||

||A7 | |D7 | |

|G7 | |C7 | ||

|Cm7 F7|Bb7 Eb7|Gm7 C7|F7 Gm7C7||

This goes very quickly, maybe 200 bpm.

As Bumpcity says, learn in all 12 keys, be able to walk and solo on it.

Archived