Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stairway To Dolly Parton

Anyone heard Dolly's version of Stairway To Heaven? I'm listening to it now, it's actually not bad. I'm really digging all the banjo. Some nice backing vocal parts too. Nowhere near as bad as I'd heard it was, although if I was a Zep freak it would be sacrilege :) -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL! Only if you like 'em big. I'd rather climb the stairway to Chely Wright myself :) -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

My brother told about it. Apparently it's been a running joke on a couple of local non-country radio stations (we don't have a country station here). So I powered up my favourite immoral file trading fascilitator and downloaded it from some despicable heathen who is trying to undermine the profitability of the major record labels. -- Rob

I just heard it the other day on NPR. They were doing a segment on "cover chains" where one artist covers another artist's work and in turn has one of his/her works covered by someone else, and so on. They played the Dolly Parton cover of Stairway and I almost died laughing. It is not that the version is so bad, it just sounds so out of place.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Yeah Oracle, that's how I would describe it too, out of place. It could be worse/odder though, she could have covered Aqualung or Iron Man or Immigrant Song. Actually, I think she probably would have done a great version of Hot Dog :) -- Rob

According to her web site, Plant and Page approved it, thinking it was a good version. And hey, she could have done "In a Gadda Da Vida".

Here in OZ we had a TV show where every guest artist had to perform "Stairway to Heaven" All the leading OZ artists had a go but the best version for me was the Sydney Choral Society version. Full acappella. :D :D BTW Dolly's two recent bluegrass albums (Grass is Blue and Little Sparrow) are American country at it's best!! That dobro player is superb. cheers John

[quote]Originally posted by John Sayers: [b]Here in OZ we had a TV show where every guest artist had to perform "Stairway to Heaven" All the leading OZ artists had a go but the best version for me was the Sydney Choral Society version. Full acappella. :D :D BTW Dolly's two recent bluegrass albums (Grass is Blue and Little Sparrow) are American country at it's best!! That dobro player is superb. cheers John[/b][/quote]Yessir. I was lucky to catch her (and that entourage of strings) performing on Letterman the other night; "Like a dagger in my heart". Decent. It reminded me I like a lot of music genres when they're done right. She's got many years ahead of her with that kind of flexibility. Quote from Dolly Parton: "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap." Least known thing about Dolly Parton: "I've got a great ass too!"
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b] although if I was a Zep freak it would be sacrilege :) [/b][/quote]No, Dolly is okay. Now Micheal Bolton doing the cover would be sacrilege. I can see it now on a [i]Lite Hits[/i] station -right between "A Groovy Kinda Love", and something from the "Lion King"! Oooooh, can ya feel the LOVE!!! [i]Makes me wonder...[/i] :bor: :bor:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b] although if I was a Zep freak it would be sacrilege :) [/b][/quote]No, Dolly is okay. Now Micheal Bolton doing the cover would be sacrilege. I can see it now on a [i]Lite Hits[/i] station -right between "A Groovy Kinda Love", and something from the "Lion King"! Oooooh, can ya feel the LOVE!!! [i]Makes me wonder...[/i] :bor: :bor:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Hey -- the best alternative version of "Stairway to Heaven" has still got to be "Stairway to Gilligan's Island," which featured the lyrics of the TV theme sung to the music of Stairway to Heaven. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio -- LMAO!!!

That's a FINE version of "Stairway to Heaven"! Another great Zep cover is the kazoo orchestra version of "Whole Lotta Love".

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Another great Zep cover is the kazoo orchestra version of "Whole Lotta Love".[/b][/quote]I've never heard that one, but just the THOUGHT of it has me totally cracking up! Excellent!

Dolly's done some phenomenal covers. I heard her do another unlikely one on CMT one time. Can't remember, but it was a rocker, but done sorta mountain music style and it was great. But one of my favorite covers of hers was Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush". It was her, Emmylou, and Linda. God, was it sweet. ("Oh Brother Where Art Thou" type accent)..."Them girls sing lahk angels".
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]"Them girls sing lahk angels".[/b][/quote]Man, you're right about that. I just had the chance to catch Emmy Lou and Linda Rondstadt singing together at the Telluride bluegrass festival last month. It was just absolutely beautiful!

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b]LOL! Only if you like 'em big. I'd rather climb the stairway to Chely Wright myself :) -- Rob[/b][/quote]Chely Wright came up singing, among other places, backup for a friend of mine in town. I understand they lived together for a while. Fast forward to sometime in the past year. He was working an industry party when lo and behold, there's Chely. It was weird for him, as he was dressed as Fat Elvis at the time! :rolleyes: (The guy is a very talented performer/comedian.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I heard the tune on internet radio and liked it. Didn't even know it was Dolly. Country music artists have been doing a lot of cross-over stuff lately (probably to get this "New Country" sound more mainstream). Anyone heard the Johnny Cash cover of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage"? It rocks.

This comes courtesy of David Gross' "Punmaster's Music Wire"... Robert Plant Praises Dolly Parton's Cover Of 'Stairway To Heaven' Among the stranger cover versions released this year is Dolly Parton's rendition of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven," from her latest album Halos & Horns. Parton's version of the song, which includes some new lyrics that she wrote for it, was OK'd by Zeppelin principals Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. Plant tells LAUNCH that he's genuinely pleased with the way she treated the song. "You know, the thing is that she's not wailing--she's keeping it within the genre, and she's a good singer. Maybe she didn't get the last bit properly, and maybe that's sort of how the idioms have changed so much, that maybe it doesn't matter--maybe that's the way to do it. That's why we did with 'You Shook Me' or 'Whole Lotta Love,' or whatever it was. It's just trying to move it 'round a couple, 15 degrees around from magnetic north." However, Plant adds that he understands how some fans can find the notion of Parton doing any Led Zeppelin song, much less "Stairway," to be a bit odd. "For it to be covered here, there, and everywhere, it doesn't really matter," he said. "I mean, it's just another time now, so it's a bit like Kylie Minogue doing 'Smokestack Lightning.' You know, it's just so kinda odd that the artist and the elements are not in tune." Plant releases Dreamland, his first solo album in nine years, on Tuesday (July 16). He accompanies it with a tour that starts Saturday (July 20) at Rock Fest in Cadott, Wisconsin, before hooking up with the Who on July 26 at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield, Massachusetts, for a month of opening dates. -- Gary Graff, Detroit
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Dolly gets respect, even from people like Page and Plant, for a number of reasons. Like songwriting. Last I heard, "I Will Always Love You" (she's the sole writer) had been a #1 record by more different artists in more different genres for more weeks total, including Dolly's version as well, than any other song. A little trivia. I love 2nd engineers. I was one myself, once upon a time. Tough gig. Those who do it well and with a good attitude get my major respect. So I treat them well and end up being friends with many of them here in Nashville. I started asking, off the record, who were the lamest and coolest producers, engineers and artists they had ever worked with. The lame ones stay off the record as promised, but who minds being talked about nicely, so the cool ones I hear about are public info IMO. Who do I hear about being cool more than anybody? Yup, Dolly. So nice and unassuming, it almost freaks people out. She is more likely to bring coffee *to* the seconds than to get coffee from the seconds. So feel free to dig her fully. It's a good thing. Brains, talent, a great bod and a good heart. Regards, Brian T

Another rock classic covered by a country artist: We saw the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Saturday night, and they did a bluegrass version of the Beatles' "Get Back", very nice! The NGDB now have all original members back, and have been touring for 35 years, zowie!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

[quote]Originally posted by MojoHaiku: [b]Hey -- the best alternative version of "Stairway to Heaven" has still got to be "Stairway to Gilligan's Island," which featured the lyrics of the TV theme sung to the music of Stairway to Heaven. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio -- LMAO!!![/b][/quote]Some friends of mine in a local band do the lyrics to Gilligan's Island to the music of "The Immigrant Song". :D Totally cracks me up! My bandmates have been known to do a medley of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Twist And Shout" with the lyrics of "Stairway to Heaven". Also funny as hell! I haven't heard Dolly's version of "Stairway" yet but I'm sure it's cool... I agree with all the comments that Dolly is the shit. Great songwriter, great singer, seems like a great person from all accounts. And I looove the "Trio" stuff with Dolly, Emmylou and Linda Ronstadt, beautiful! Dolly has indeed done some great covers but her own songs just kill. I remember hearing "Joline" as a teenager and just being riveted. What a heartbreaking song. Her latest records sound great too... no evidence of lame overcompressed Pro Tooled to death crappy production. Just nice pristine recordings. Nice to know SOME people are still out there showing us all how it's done! --Lee

Archived