Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hunter S. Thompson Dead of Suicide

J.A.

Many of you have probably already heard about this. Hunter S. Thompson, author of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and several other (great) books, committed suicide with a gunshot to the head Sunday.

He is one of my favorite authors, if not indeed my favorite. His suicide came as a total shock to me and I am quite upset.

For anyone who hasn't read Hunter's work, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," besides being his most well known work, is also quite accessible.

Hunter's work was primarily focused on the American Dream, and with a razor sharp wit set to provoke, he insightfully cut to the heart of the American experience.

My heart goes out to his family, who I hope can take comfort in the fact that America shares in their pain. We have truly lost one of the most original American writers ever.

For those of you who already know and/or don't care- Sorry, I just had to get that out.

Insert inaccurate quote here

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't even know that was a book... I also didn't see the movie.

But, suicides are always a sad, grim situation.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Read the book he wrote after riding with the Hell's Angles for a while. Forgot the name of the book. There was also a comic book series about him and his Samoan lawyer and the Dodge (?) that he drove that went by the name "Ballbusters" that was very popular in the '70's (showing my age?). Most recently was a regular contributer to Rolling Stone.

He had a rather unique way of viewing the world around him.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

the most i can say is that i'm saddened and shocked. I cant's say wether or not i'm surprised. i never would have thought that this was the kind of man to kill himself, but you couldn't expect anything from him.

a happier note, memories. i remember his interview on conan o'brien. he refused to be interviewed unless conan went to him: on his estate in upstate new york to drink whiskey and shoot guns during the interview.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I loved Hunter Thompson's work; the Curse of Lono, Hells Angels aside from Fear and Loathing were great books.

His ESPN2 column was getting a little rediculous and tired. It seemed after a while his overindulgeance into gambling and sports betting seemed to be the last gasp of a once great writer.

With trusty Samoan War Club - I salute you, Hunter. "I am Lono, and I have returned!"

This thread that I started yesterday was sort of a place to discuss this, but ain't no thing.

I got fairly twisted on adult beverages on Sunday night and watched Fear & Loathing after I heard about this on ESPN. Total insanity. I loved his writing, it always was very entertaining to me.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

- Hunter S. Thompson

That quote is not accurate. The internet is very good at taking things and modifying them. There are many, many mutations of this quote floating around. I've seen it that way a bunch of times before, but it was originally:

"The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason."

From HST's book Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the '80s. The tag "There's also a negative side" was added by someone else.

Fear And Loathing was required reading in my college journalism class. Truly a unique and talented guy.

I saw an interview where he was asked if he thought he would have been a more sucessful writer without the abuse and excess and he answered: "No. In fact I believe I owe everything to it." I believe that's true.

RIP Doctor

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

This thread that I started yesterday was sort of a place to discuss this, but ain't no thing.

I got fairly twisted on adult beverages on Sunday night and watched Fear & Loathing after I heard about this on ESPN. Total insanity. I loved his writing, it always was very entertaining to me.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

- Hunter S. Thompson

That quote is not accurate. The internet is very good at taking things and modifying them. There are many, many mutations of this quote floating around. I've seen it that way a bunch of times before, but it was originally:

"The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason."

From HST's book Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the '80s. The tag "There's also a negative side" was added by someone else.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread; in my grief I must have missed it. Two threads are better than one though, if they can both pay tribute to HST.

Also, in light of me foolishly believing the Internet and posting the fake music biz quote, I have deleted it and added something more appropriate. "Generation of Swine" is possibly going to be my next HST book to read; maybe if I would have read it by now I would've seen the quote as phony...

Anyways, from this thread and Bump's thread, it makes me feel better to know that others here were fans.

Insert inaccurate quote here

I once believed there was a psychic link between Thompson (non-fiction) Charles Bukowski (poetry) Philip K. Dick (sci-fi) and Robert Anton Wilson (not sure if his realm was fiction or non-). I'm not sure what that means, but it had to be said. All on the edge of reason, where true genius is said to breed. All past tense, alas, but all live on in print, for those who dare read that which is not approved or socially correct.

Agree with the Bill Murray portrayal, but I have to say Johnny Depp's wasn't too off the mark either. Both performances may have been a bit exaggerated, but I think they got the "inner rhythm" of the way Thompson worked in print. Somewhere, out there, HST is grinning.

What really makes me feel bad is that it would've been cool if one network (radio, TV) would've been brave (or foolish) enough to have risked putting Thompson on a "Larry King Live"-type interview format.

:cry:

When he released 'Generation of swine', my friend went to see his promo appearance in NYC. I forget which venue it was but Hunter, with drink in hand as well as a flashlight, would walk around the stage and take a Q & A from the audience. The 'catch' was : he would toss the flashlight to the questioner and allow them to speak only if they held the light under their chin, as he said "kinda like Lon Chaney Jr, you know the Wolfman".

Archived