Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What NEW music am i listening to?

Gord -B

On a similar theme to the 'what am i listening to' thread but with emphasis on new music coming out. This is to help us all filter through the crap that is about and find some good new music becasue there is plenty of it about! We are talking post 2000 bands here and not well established bands with a new album.

Newish music i have been listening to recently and can reccomend is:

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (everyone must get this)

Aqualung - Aqualung

Nada Surf - Let Go

The Coral - Magic and Medicine

The Killers - Hot Fuss (i like it dammit)

Keane - Hopes and Fears (good to sing along to)

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism (terrible name, good album)

Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, Had a listen to Ben Kweller, have you listened to Nada Surf - Let Go? Its very similar and i reckon you'd like it.. http://www.nadasurf.com/songs.shtml
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Local bands....

www.myspace.com/acentric

www.rockacentric.com

www.myspace.com.axismusic

www.axismusic.net

I'm planning on going down to the local shop and picking up the 311 greatest hits cd and Incubus' album A Crow Left of the Murder Tomorrow.

A great performance of "sick sad little world" by incubus.

www.enjoyincubus.com/video/incubus_SickSadLittleWorld-LiveVidFull_300.asx

www.enjoyincubus.com/video/incubus_SickSadLittleWorld-LiveVidFull_100.asx

www.enjoyincubus.com/video/incubus_SickSadLittleWorld-LiveVidFull_56.asx

Also, the band Steel Train

www.steeltrainmusic.com

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Cool, I got the Incubus's live dvd which is very very good. I like the version of 'drive' with the bass playing the guitar part with Mike on the keys instead.

All of the musisians in steel train are absolutely amazing.

When my band went down to drive thru records to talk to the president he gave us a couplt cds each. I ended up with the 2 steel train eps.

They are both awesome, everybody in that band sounds like a seasoned session player. Not to mention that one cd features covers from the bands favorite artists(CSN, Jackson 5, bob marley, beatles, davidbowie, and creedence clearwater revival)

When I saw INcubus live at the forum they did an awesome version of drive with an amzing twangy picked bass melody sub hook that was mindboggling after hearing only the original version....THEY ALSO HAD FLEA ONSTAGE, on trumpet..his first instrument.

Those boys sure can jam

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

DEACADENCE by Head Automatica is an amaaazing record.

Very hard to define. It's somehow very high-tech and yet, raw at the same time. The singer kinda sounds like a cross between Mike Patton and Butch Walker.

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

Well, yesterday I was standing in Best Buy slackjawed and drooling at some billboard sized plasma screened, surround sound marvel of modern technology. And on came a clip from "Incubus, Live at Red Rocks". I have heard of this band, but had never heard them.

Well needless to say, after that sensory onslaught, I stumbled zombie-like to the CD section and bought a copy(didn't even look at the price) brought it home and watched it last night.

WOW! Great Stuff! Excellent video and audio, the band had a very energetic performance. The package also contains a CD of a full concert performed in Iceland(!)I haven't listened to it yet.

Guess I'll be adding some more Incubus to the collection.

:thu::thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

im a youngen so most of what i listen to is "new", on top of that a lot of my music is pretty obscrue.

im definitly rocking hte mars volta pretty hard (been in love with the cd since it came out in '03 and im very much waiting for march 1st when the new one hits stores)

list of names some people may recognize:

Madvillian

Dead Meadow

Godpess you! black emperor

ISIS

Jaga jazzist

These arms are snakes

some of the bigger not as new names:

Queens of the stone age (new cd coming out in march)

Tool

Muse

We distort. You abide.

The mars volta are definitely a good band(bunch of musicians if you would prefer). It's kind of funny a lot of my scenester friends keep on talking about how they liked them before they really hit it, but now don't like them. HELLO! are you saying the cd changed since people bought it?

Mike Stern's CD from last year (the name escapes me and I'm too tired to go out to the car to check). There are some seriously involved bassists counterpointing him. Some of the fusion music left me cold at first (I'm old enough that it reminded me of music from 20 years ago), but repeated listenings helped me through that too.

Oh yeah, the boy(s) can play...

'Shapeshifter' by Matt Garrison. If you buy it at his website garrisonjazz.com he will sign it personally. It's honestly like nothing I've ever heard, a great blend of jazz, world, and techno with some phenomenal bass playing. Of course he went to Berklee, took lessons from Dave Holland, and played with Mclaughlin. If you haven't read it, there's a nice article on him in February's Bassplayer, or for you non-subscribers (like myself), you can read the article and lessons on the site.
Insert inaccurate quote here

Originally posted by musicfiend:

The mars volta are definitely a good band(bunch of musicians if you would prefer). It's kind of funny a lot of my scenester friends keep on talking about how they liked them before they really hit it, but now don't like them. HELLO! are you saying the cd changed since people bought it?

Thats scenesters for ya.
We distort. You abide.

I don't listen to much rock these days and most of what I listen to isn't new but I have been enjoying "Easy Listening" by Enrico Rava (jazz fans, listen to this you won't be sorry) "Anniemal" by Annie (Norwegian electronic pop, if you like Jaga Jazzist there's a good chance you will like this) and "Egypt" by Youssou N'Dour, which is exquisite and should appeal even to non-world music fans.

On www.allmusic.com it lists his 2004 release as 'easy living'. For a minute smooth jazz alarm bells were ringing :D He looks good i'll have to check him out.

Here's a semi-hijack.

I'd like to be listening to some new music. New CDs are "imminent" from Mrs Grundy (BenLoy) and Cottonmouth DN (Erik).

In the meantime, I just got some "almost new" music from Pernax, and will be spinning Helion's latest tomorrow!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

It's sort of like a Miles Davis Bitches Brew sound with a drum 'n bass beat.

That sounds exactly the sort of thing I like, I must look out for this. Did you ever hear Dave Douglas's "Freak In" Jeremy - not drum'n'bass but it's in a similar ball park, 70s Miles mixed with some more up to date electronica (and played by killer musicians).

Forceman I love that quote by Picasso on your signature, just so true.

Archived