Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which bass for this song? (2 MP3 samples)

Gruuve

Hey folks:

We do this song in church, and even though it's a somewhat "rocked-up" version, it still has a folk-sy vibe to it. I think this one definitely calls for the softer attack of a fretless bass, but the question is whether to use the fretless electric or the electric upright. Give these MP3's a listen and let me know what you think...

Sing Hallelujah w/ electric fretless

Sing Hallelujah w/ electric upright

Since I started playing in the church worship band (we actually have a name now...The 1:10 Band, from Col 1:10), I've gone from having one bass that I play (the MM SR5, plus the old Yamaha BB300 that just hangs on the wall) to having 4 basses that I consider candidates for any particular song. Deciding which bass to use on a particular song...what a great problem to have right? :D

Thx!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dean is getting lower, and it opens up a new dimension to the song. Going up the 4th with the eub doesn't sound as good.

I also think the tone of the dean is more appropriate for the song. what about the mm?

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Hey Jason:

I think either of these fretless fishes are a better for this particular song than the Musicman...it just has too much snarl for this song. Not that it would actually sound bad, I just think either of these two sound better.

Yeah, ya know...I was actually looking for a 5-string EUB...I'll keep watching and I'll eventually find one. I figured it probably wouldn't be such a bad thing to start with a 4-string EUB. I do miss that B-string though!

I think I almost like the EUB better on this song...it just has more of a blooming thump to it, and seems like that jives with the song. Of course, there's a very simple bass solo in this song that quite high up on the fret board...that could be VERY challenging on the EUB...easier on the Dean, but would still take quite a bit of practice to accurately nail the right notes up high on the fretboard.

We'll see...I sent our leader the links and I'm going to let him pick the instrument. I didn't tell him which one is which though, just that one's the fretless and one's the upright.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived