Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would you take this gig?

tucker71

Please settle a bet.

I've been offered a gig to play Bass for a TOTAL "has been". I mean...this guy hasn't had a hit since 1989. (and even THEN he wasn't taken seriously)

He has a new record deal (and I played on two songs on the new record) and he's about to go on tour. The money is actually pretty good, the venues are quite nice, and the tour is fairly short. 3 months max.

Some of the peeps in my life are having a field day with this one. They can NOT stop making fun of me for taking this gig but, I say...a gig is a gig.

So my question is: would you take the slot even if it wasn't exactly your cup o' tea? Do you consider yourself a "whore" if you DO take the slot?

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your friends are jealous.

Seems like a lot of "attitude" floating around here.

The guy's not a has-been. He has a record deal and obviously there is tour support. And there must be some fans out there who want to see this guy.

Do your sneering friends have record deals and tours lined up? And fans who have been waiting patiently for the new record?

And even if he hasn't had a hit record in 15 years, there are plenty of big and medium names out there touring who haven't had hit records in at least that long.

You played on the record. Are you proud of what you played?

Now get out there and do the tour. You will have fun.

Hell, yes. I feel like a whore every single day when I get up and go to my job-- you think I wouldn't take the chance to tour and play in front of big crowds?

I've had a lot of jobs over the years that were not exactly my cup o' tea, but I took something away from each one. You'll learn something, make some bread, make some contacts, and possibly even have some fun. I'd do it, unless I had something better already lined up.

Bruiser

Reminds me of a story Tony Curtis tells. He was a New York actor as a kid in the '50's. Him and his friends thought of themselves as serious stage actors. Curtis gets a chance to go to Hollywood to do movies. His serious actor friends all give him crap about selling out.

Time passes. He has a few big films. He comes back to New York. As he's riding in his limo through Manhattan in a pouring rain storm he spots his old buddy, Walter Matthau standing at a bus stop. He has the limo pull up in front of Matthau. Rolls down the window, looks his old friend in the eye and says, "I f**ked Yvonne DeCarlo."

Rolls up the window and has the limo drive on.

Do the damn tour. You'll probably have the time of your life.

Push the button Frank.

Opertunities dont come everyday even the small ones,so take it could put you on the map as far as gettiung a gig goes.I had A chance top play with a local country artist in my area at a major festival in tennessee but I didnt take it (what a dumbass I was)even though I dont like that kind of music it still was a chance to make a name,get exspirence or to meet people that will help you later in life,dont let your peeps makem decisions for you,thats the worst,its like following instructions that dont go with what your doing,some of your friends can help you out in some situations but not all of them.
pete combs

KC is doing a new tour? sorry.. i had to do that!

I say you are a sellout if you do the tour, what a whore!!!

just give the guy my number and I'll do the tour and that way you can save face...

I'm here for ya , bro...

Seriously.. do the tour.. there's no shame. You're a pro... who cares what your friends think.. i agree with Jeremy.. i think they are jealous.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Thanks guys.

I agreed to do the tour a few days ago. Personally...I'm excited about it. (and not just for the free gear or the money)

I really love playing out and I love hitting the road. That's the REAL reason I'm doing it.

My buds were trying to make the point that "if you don't love what you're playing...you're a whore for playing it".

Obviously, I disagree and so do you guys.

I was thinkin' Southside Johnny.

Go to it dude! Go and have a great time and be the best you can be and then come home and laugh in your friends' face while you make a show of sniffing the wad of cash.

What a great opportunity. I'de be gone in a heartbeat!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by bassaddik:

are you going to tell us who this artist is???

or do we keep guessing? :D

OK, I guess...ummmm....Rick Springfield! (He's still alive isn't he?)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I'm for ya doin' it, fer sure.

And don't worry about being "tainted" by a reputation. Even if it is Rick Springfield. You know, somebody plays bass with Brittney. Somebody plays bass with Neil Diamond. Somebody even played bass with the Archies.

I would add...since you've signed on...make this persons music as important to you as it is to him. Sell it...that's pro behavior.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

what Dave Brown said.. BIG TIME!

and by the way.. Rick Springfield is alive and well in Vegas.. and i must admit, he rocks pretty hard still. For a pretty boy...

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

are you going to tell us who this artist is???

or do we keep guessing? :D

Dio?

Now, you didn't originally say anything about gear, that's a whole different story! Of course, you made the right decision. Have fun and let us know when you're in town.

ATM

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

You know, somebody plays bass with Brittney. Somebody plays bass with Neil Diamond. Somebody even played bass with the Archies.

Nathan East plays on several Backstreet Boys recordings. Point made :D

I'm glad you decided to go ahead and take the tour. I have friends similar to yours. They frown when I say that I'll play with any artist in any genre (there are exceptions of course) as long as I have some fun in the process.

None of them play in a band. I play in a '70s cover band AND in a contemporary poprock covers band. I have fun.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I don't wanna say who it is just yet. When it all gets finalized...I'll post the dates and stuff. (you're all invited)

HOWEVER...

The producer who did the new "mystery" record is ALSO doing the new Rick Springfield record and I am trying to get involved with that as well. Springfield is an old fave of mine. Despite what people think...he is NOT a one hit wonder. He probably has 5 huge singles. That's 4 more than a lot of artists.

Originally posted by tucker71:

Springfield is an old fave of mine. Despite what people think...he is NOT a one hit wonder. He probably has 5 huge singles. That's 4 more than a lot of artists.

The last song I remember from him on the radio had him crooning about how people mistook him for Bruce Springseen (anyone know the name of the song :confused: ). 'Seemed sad at the time, kinda an "altro"- In pop circles, Springfield had been huge in the previous couple of years (maybe that was about the time Born in the USA came out?). But to confuse those two almost seems silly, now! :D

That Springfield about being mistaken for Springsteen is called "Bruce".

It was an old old song he wrote when he was younger and unknown but, after he got popular some bullshit label/manager officially released it.

Man oh man that song sucks.

BTW...if anyone wants to hear some KILLER (and I mean KILLER) Bass playing, check out a song called "Red Hot and Blue Love" by Rick Springfield. I'm not sure but, I think it's Neil Geraldo playing guitar AND bass. It is a stellar track. Great tone and quite complicated.

I hae a day job and play the music I feel like (when I can get people together). I'm not playing music that I don't enjoy (at least somewhat). And when I have to play something I don't care for, I look for a way to make it mine and (as Jeremy so wisely said) make it something I'm proud of.

If you are proud of the work you are doing, then you are helping an artist (and yourself) make music happen. In that case, do it!

Musicians, and especially bassists, don't seem limited to a genre. You're listening tastes aren't limited - why should your playing be?

If your peeps don't like the artist, that's fine. It sounds more like they don't respect you. I don't spend much time with people who laugh AT me.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom,

Me and my boys rip on each other ALL THE TIME. We're always rankin' on each others musical tastes, girlfriends, & Mothers.

This new thing I'm involved with just seems to be getting a little extra attention. They are really getting some mileage out of my "whore-ish" nature.

:D:D

I'd take the gig. No shame in doing that, man. As long as you treat it like any other professional gig, who cares who the artist is? You're getting paid, you're getting a tour out of the deal... win-win in my eyes.

Could it be Donny Osmond? Fits the description: Soldier of Love was a hit in '89, he was not taken seriously and is total has been. I'm sure I would get laughed at too if I took a gig with him. Hmm... yes, my vote is Donny Osmond.

With that said... er typed... even if it is Donny, I think your doing the right thing. I would probably jump on it myself if as you describe with good pay, good venues and short tour. Not to mention the contacts you can make. :thu:

wierd al?
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by groover:

Could it be Donny Osmond? Fits the description: Soldier of Love was a hit in '89, he was not taken seriously and is total has been. I'm sure I would get laughed at too if I took a gig with him. Hmm... yes, my vote is Donny Osmond.

With that said... er typed... even if it is Donny, I think your doing the right thing. I would probably jump on it myself if as you describe with good pay, good venues and short tour. Not to mention the contacts you can make. :thu:

hmmmm.. Donny Osmond.... actually...

Donny Osmond kicks serious ass... few know this, but he sings his ass off, and has great taste in music. When i had the opportunity to do the Donnie and Marie show, i was pleasantly surprised at how cool he was... and his band was smokin'!

his bassist, man, i forget his name, St George something or other, has played with David Sanborn and other heavies... his guitarist was Kat Dyson who played with Prince and the very fine Rhonda Smith. Donnie has played Vegas a few times and everytime, the report is the band and yes, even he, was killin' -

funny how some people are perceived... which brings to mind.. is anyone old enough to remember Glen Campbell hosting the Midnight Special, jamming with George Benson, and playing the style so well, he was hanging with George every step of the way ! i couldn't believe it! " Hi! I'm Glen Campbell, boppin' like a mofo!

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Archived