Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wife's busy, had time to experiment, SansAmp is more versitile than I thought

SteveC

My wife has been super busy lately, so I took the opportunity to experiment with my stuff...with interesting results.

I took my Avalon out of the signal path to see how the SansAmp would do with my upright, fretless, etc. To my surprise, it sounded REALLY nice. Not quite as nice as the Avalon, but not a HUGE difference. If I was a session player recording all the time, maybe, but for basic live stuff...

My only issue with the Avalon has been its size and weight. I don't really like/want to travel on a regular basis with it. With the SansAmp, I can put it, my compressor, tuner and chorus all in my little briefcase and go. Pretty handy.

Don't worry, I'm not selling the Avalon at this time, but I could probably get used to being without it. The little SansAmp keeps impressing me. Especially now that it has the line/instrument level choice. It can actually drive a power amp. The new 3 preset programable version is very interesting...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve, keep this simple. Find someone who wants an Avalon. Send them $50 now. Keep the Avalon.

This is an efficient approach. You both save on shipping.

Figure it this way, you'll probably sell the Avalon to someone. You might take a loss on it. Then, you'll eventually buy another one. Figure at the end of the day, you'll be out $50 or so. Instead of all this buying and selling and shipping, just send someone cash. ;)

Hey Steve Bass Northwest is taking pre-orders for the programable version. They are selling it for $189 and will ship it to you some time in April. You know you want it.

Wade

PS

I think I am going to have to get one too.

Oh and one more thing. Do you notice a difference in volume with the BDDI pushing your power amp as opposed to a "conventional" preamp?

Steve, have you tried plugging your bass straight into your QSC? I've found that my Aguilar OBP-3 has almost as much ooomph as my SWR GP and the resulting sound is incredibly clean - a little too sterile for me but I am playing a neck-thru Warwick with EMG's, which appreciates the slightly tubey character of the GP.

Your Bartolinied basses should be a little warmer and may sound very similar to the Avalon when plugged staright into your power amp.

Alex

To summarize: SABDDI is a useful and toneful tool -- YMMV.

Peace.

--SW

PS: Steve, you may not realize this, but there is a "futures market" driven entirely by your gear sales and purchases. Of recent this market has been somewhat slow, but there are some others (see: Sisk) who may soon play a role in its renewed strength.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

PS: Steve, you may not realize this, but there is a "futures market" driven entirely by your gear sales and purchases. Of recent this market has been somewhat slow, but there are some others (see: Sisk) who may soon play a role in its renewed strength.

ROTFLMAO. Maybe Steve and I should just start sending gear back and forth to each other, eh? The one way I generally differ from Steve is that I rarely sell anything...I just keep buying stuff! (That said, I am still selling the Carvin 410 and have decided to sell my old 4-string bass, the Yamaha BB-300. It sounds good and plays good even though it's a little beat up...it just hangs on the wall being ignored, so I'm sure somebody out there would love to play it and enjoy it!)

Cheers :thu:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Steve, have you tried plugging your bass straight into your QSC? I've found that my Aguilar OBP-3 has almost as much ooomph as my SWR GP

Alex

Hey Alex I never thought of going direct into the power amp. I just tried that a few minutes ago. I don't think the stock EMG B30 preamp that is in my bass has enough oomph as your OBP-3. Didn't quite have the same results you did. But i did have a good amount of volume just not nearly as much as my GP.

Anyway I was wondering what is better to turn the volume on the power amp all the way and adjust your volume with the preamp or turn the master volume on the preamp all the up and use the power amp to adjust your volume?

Originally posted by getz76:

Steve, keep this simple. Find someone who wants an Avalon. Send them $50 now. Keep the Avalon.

:D:D:D

I got a pretty good deal on the Avalon, so I think I could make my money back.
So it begins...just a germ of an idea now...but soon...soon.

Steve, make sure you send in the warranty card and keep copies of it and your receipt. I had to send mine back once and it was fortunate that I did because Tech21 does ask for them. And don't sell either unit; I love the way the BDDI fattens up my fretless.

:thu:

Good on you Steve! I'm glad you're finding enlightenment with the gear you have.

Originally posted by WCunha:

... Bass Northwest is taking pre-orders for the programable version. They are selling it for $189 and will ship it to you some time in April. You know you want it.

Let's see. $189 for the programmable BDDI, $599 for the "fugly" Conklin Rocco bass... Where's the CFO when you need her?

Honey! Honey?

- Matt W.

Fortunately, I don't really NEED three presets. While I like different settings (clean for jazz, svt for rock, tube for warmth) I don't usually use more than one on a gig. And really, how long does it take to change the settings if you need to?

No, I am finding that I am quite happy with what I have. I should be for crying out loud. Recent GC trips have barely peaked an interest.

Archived