Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Led zep question

hard truth

I've been watching one of the Led Zep live DVDs and it sure seems like someone is playing bass when J.P. Jones is playing keyboards. It doesn't look like he's playing the bass lines with his left hand on the keyboard. He might be playing foot pedals (you can't see his feet) but from his upper body movements it doesn't seem like it.

My guess is that either a roadie was playing bass backstage or the bass parts were dubbed in for the DVD. Does anyone know how Led Zep handled their bass parts live when Jones was playing keyboards?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bass pedals indeed. He was well equipped to do so given that he was a professional church organist early in his career! :)

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

He opened for King Crimson a few years back. I walked out of there thinking Crimson was a bunch of hacks. No really, he played with a stick player who held down the rythmn section and low end. While JPJ proceeded to play every stringed instrument known to man and then some. Incredible.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Great link kad! And Donut, I couldn't have said it better.

1970 Jeremy? Cripes - what were you 9? :D

I saw them on their very last appearances in Cali - I was awed by JPJ.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by Jimbroni:

He opened for King Crimson a few years back. I walked out of there thinking Crimson was a bunch of hacks. No really, he played with a stick player who held down the rythmn section and low end. While JPJ proceeded to play every stringed instrument known to man and then some. Incredible.

I thought the same thing after seeing that show in NYC. JPJ was incredible, and Crimson had a tough time following him onstage even though they were the headliners.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

FYI, JPJ just started another solo album. No idea when it will be ready.

As far as I know, Zep never used any canned music while performing live. Since Page couldn't play all 20 overdubbed guitars on stage, that meant JPJ had to creatively fill the musical void himself. He even sang the "Battle of Evermore" duet live with Robert.

The triple neck is cool, too. This looks like a more recent model here from the same guy that made his 8-string bass. Yummy!

JPJ on the Triple neck

'Andy Manson built that. It's all tuned in fifths, like a real mandolin. So the smallest neck is an ordinary mandolin: The middle neck is the same tuning, an octave lower, but the courses are in octaves rather than in unisons. Then there's a bass mandolin, which is an octave lower than that.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Well, I just found out that ther is a little asain man in the picture, so maybe this stuff isn't jonesies but all repros...?...anywhoo the translation is awkward so dont bother.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by Jimbroni:

That stick player was Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo.

Krimson is an aquired taste.

I saw JPJ on his first Zooma tour at Irving Plaza. Incredible.

I think I saw Page and the Black Crows at Roseland 4 nights prior.

I saw JPJ at the return show at roseland where he did Goin to Cali solo mandolin and encouraged the audience to sing : "You don't think I 'm gonna sing it?!?!".

He also had a Bass-Dobro - Spaghetti Junction and When the Levee Breaks were highlights.

I wish he would release a live disc of that tour, however there are a few boots floating around...

I watch the LZ DVDS last week-end. And as everybody here, I was impressed by JPJ musicianship. I also got got a renewed respect for Jimmy Page's playing.

Two things I could not stand though: Robert Plant's manierism (but shit can the guy sing...) and the way JPJ dresses. Boy did he have bad taste... At some point he even was going for the disco look... something like a pudgy J. Travolta (although some could argue that Travolta acquired some substance as an actor when he got out of shape and overweight)

It was fun though to see him play the Bumpcity Alembic ;)

That stick player was Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo.

Krimson is an aquired taste.

Thanks.

I agree that Crimson is an aquired taste, I've seen them a number of times and have enjoyed them most of the time. That night they took their dissonence, and syncopation a bit to far and it was kinda like being tortured, especially after hearing JPJ. I saw them when the California Guitar Trio opened for them, now that was a show.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

I thought King Crimson was good when I saw them. IMO, Jonesy just put on a better and more accessible show. Because if you've ever seen King Crimson, you know that Robert Fripp really isn't doing anything flashy on stage....literally! He just sat on this darkened corner of the stage playing. He was incredible to hear, but there was no showmanship whatsoever. Musically, they were phenomenal (even sans Tony Levin), but from the standpoint of showmanship they lost out.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived