Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Here's something sorta odd...

wraub

My basses, according to the handy and usually accurate serial # dating guides, are from 1985.

However, they are not in the 1985 Ibanez catalog.

Nor the '86, or the 84.

Told you it was sorta odd.

Just hadda share.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, as far as I can tell, the model had a long manufacturing life. Ibanez was (and still is) notorious for making small changes to models year by year, and the 1985 catalog models are identical to mine except for the shape of the pick-up covers, and a slight change in control layout.

But my actual model is nowhere to be found.

Not a lot of info on the net on these basses, either.

Again, just sorta odd.

Peace,

wraub

A lot of Japanese basses are manufactured in Korea or assembled in Taiwan or Indonesia.

Usually the "numbers" will have a letter or two on the back demonstrating where, at least, the neck had originated.

When I was at Kramer, we'd have bodies from Korea and necks from parts-unknown, slap em together and 'MADE IN THE USA'.

When Yamaha started their RBX line I had a showcase model that was untraceable in the "book".

Not a proto-type, but most likely, as in the case of wraub's basses - top-tier bass that was intended as a display model. These basses are off the production line, but have a little more 'love' put into em. In manufacturing land - "put your best foot forward" when rolling out the new line.

They say quite clearly "Made In Japan" on the neckplates, right next to the serial #. No, the numbers are nor sequential: according to the previously mentioned dating guides, they were made a month apart.

As nearly as I can tell, there are no 5 string basses in the '84 or '85 Ibanez catalogs. There is a 5 string Roadstar model in the '86 catalog, but, like the 4 string in the '85 book, has different pick-up covers, and a vastly different control layout.

It looks like my model was introduced to market in '85, after the catalog came out. Apparently, it's the first 5 string model Ibanez sold in the US. The different pick-up covers reflect the additional string (the 4 string model had exposed Jazz type polepieces.)

Ya gotta love that wacky Ibanez company...

Peace,

wraub

Archived