Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tried the C. Alex set-up...

JBFLA

ACME's stacked vertical (line source, as opposed to point source)...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgAAANwWI2MEO6kqQ9j4Dh2U3aA8!cehiifGr8rSdDkv8xUkADl8VbyPjOkuF3Q*v65vQ9z*OjW*4smVcwEO2qie4SqwdpwPchUSnPwpQ!mA7Qqb!b6a4Q/bigrig.JPG

Everyone commented on the bass sound/presence. My on stage levels were lower, sound was clearer.

We played in an old rec center wirh hardwood floors and hard surfaces all around. Could have been a Bass (boomy) nightmare, but it was all good.

Played the Skyline DJ last night... tommorrow it'll be the "BenLoy".

Thanks for the info, C. Alex!

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Gospel5theBPStar ;) : would 2 410s provide the same effect?"

I'm not sure - maybe C Alex will chime in.

Ben: I do like that old school pre - but I'm waiting for some bass player somewhere to lose consciousness and put a Read Purity up for sale. If it doesn't happen soon, I'll be sending Jack a PO!! Would be fun to A/B!

HiRoller: It's fine as long as you don't let anyone breathe in the vacinity! Kidding!!! The ACME corners lock in nicely, and the rack sits on top just as well. You'd have to have some serious contact to make it wobble.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

:D

Jason, a pair of 4x10"s would demonstrate the similar controlled forward (i.e. not towards the floor or ceiling) projection due to the size of the source being at least as big, but wouldn't disperse the sound left and right as effectively because the column is less narrow.

Basically, to control sound dispersion, to make the sound go everywhere you want the source to be as small as possible compared to the wavelength (so it's easier to disperse low frequencies) whilst to beam the sound like a "laser" you want the source to be as big as possible compared to the wavelength (so it's easier to beam high frequencies). So as your typical audience and fellow band members are standing with their heads roughly vertically level with your rig, but all the way from your left to your right, you want the rig to be as tall as possible (to keep the sound going out horizontally, not up and down) and as narrow as possible (to spread the sound from left to right). Dig?

For my last gig, I had the rig floating on blocks of foam: That felt a little wobbly, but you'd have had to put some effort in to knock it over. Without the foam, it's no less stable than I am. ;)

Alex

P.S. I'd love one of those Read Custom pres, but not enough to stump up the funds for an incremental improvement over my SWR GP. But if anyone's stuck for my birthday...

JBFLA/Jason - rebuild the two 4x10 cabs so that the speakers are stacked on top of each other. Then put one "in-line" cab on top of the other. Jason - do that in Cambridge and it will carry so well that your family will hear you in Brooklyn.

JBFLA - sell a Read Custom? It will happen soon enough. There is always someone who wants to try the next new thing.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived