Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joined a band (again) - first rehearsal

EddiePlaysBass

Well, at the end of last year I got a call from this band in need of a bass player. Their previous one left because one of the guitar players had to cancel a rehearsal because of his job ...

Anyway, last week me and the guys hooked up for the 'audition'. No bass, no music played, just a get-together, and informal gathering of sorts.

But an audition in every possible way. They asked loads of questions, regarding my experience, how long I'd been playing, why I chose bass (like there's any other option really ;) ) and so on. In return I too asked a lot of questions, of course.

At the end it was decided that we's all good people, and I'm in :) Talk about blind faith from both parties, huh? But I got a good vibe, they wanna play some Uriah Heep (rhythm guitarist is a Heep fan too) and so on.

Plus, they'll let me do backing vox AND they will grant me time and opportunity to grow into it. Their current singer has never sung in a band before, and apparently sang in every key but the right one when he auditioned, but they told him he'd get a second chance if he wanted it, and as a result he's been singing his proverbial arse off and has improved lightyears (or so they say) and I kind of like that attitude.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a great beginning! It is a HUGE plus to all be on the same wavelength from the start.

Good Luck!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Eddie, it sounds good to me. In any walk of life, but especially in a band situation, I'd rather be with good people who may be lacking a little technically but are hard workers and open to new things than people who are gifted technically, but lacking everywhere else (e.g, personality, work ethic, etc.). It's easier to learn to be a good player than a good person. These guys seem like keepers to me; it looks like they are ambitious, but also willing to grow and patient enough to allow others to find their way. Have fun.

Hi EddiePlaysBass!

That sounds great! In my new band, two of the singers, the drummer and the keyboard player were actually on board before I heard any of them play or sing.

It was the same type of setup. We met and spoke and got to know each other first, before I even cared about their playing ability. Then once I liked them, their playing ability was less important! (Although they are all great.)

I am very happy with all of them.

Congrats on the new gig! :thu:

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

So today was the day: the first rehearsal ... Needless to say I was nervous as hell. Think I found the frequency for that Brown Note in the process :cry: ) and I gave it a good shot.

Next up was Black Night (Deep Purple - duh) and again, slightly different arrangement ... By now I was sort of becoming desperate, all confidence lost and such. But I pulled through and wrote down the changes etc.

Long story (somewhat) short(er), I wasn't actually playing as good as I can play. Which is not to say I'm terribly good, but I could do a whole lot better than I initially did.

And that's what Jos told me also, he said I was holding back too much and needed to let loose a bit. We talked a bit and then decided to play two more songs. We revisited All Right Now and then Black Night and I figured 'what the hell' and just played what I felt like playing.

Lo and behold, everyone was grinning and giving me compliments and saying that I'd be a good addition to the band and that it'd take me two rehearsals at most to catch up. So in a nutshell: slow start, great finish :)

BTW, talk about locking in with the drummer, this was the first audition since the very first I ever did where I was in the pocket without even bothering. Really, we hardly even made eye contact but the groove was there (especially on the last two songs) and it felt GREAT :thu:

Eddie, that's awesome dude! Free, eh? Ah, that brings back some memories. :cool: You should do the lead vocal on "All Right Now", since there's no bass part for half the song! And what's the deal with taking the bass solo out? Bassists don't get many solos to start with...and now guitarists are taking out the ones we do have? Jeesh! ;)

Seriously, it sounds like you've met up with folks who are cool, and that you're playing is a "fit", for lack of a bettert word. Great for you...keep us posted.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Thanks everyone for the encouragement :) I'm pretty excited about this project. The one original song we fooled around with (funny thing, the guitarist who wrote it couldn't remember the chord sequence :D ) sounded pretty good, and these guys sure can play. So it should be a good learning school. I just hope the singer is any good ...

Eddie, how old are you? 24? You're playing Free, Uriah Heep, and Deep Purple? All good stuff but surprising for someone of your vintage.

Sounds like a good band situation; I like when you can play songs, and are not locked into playing it exactly like the record.

PS. When In was a teenager Deep Purple: Made in Japan was on of my favorite albums to listen to when skiing.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

Eddie, how old are you? 24? You're playing Free, Uriah Heep, and Deep Purple? All good stuff but surprising for someone of your vintage.

Sounds like a good band situation; I like when you can play songs, and are not locked into playing it exactly like the record.

PS. When In was a teenager Deep Purple: Made in Japan was on of my favorite albums to listen to when skiing.

Yep, I turn 24 in May :) I've been a Uriah Heep fan since I was 12 or something (thanks to my father - a singer) and I guess I took it from there.

This is my "dream" band in a way, playing all the stuff I love to listen to (I'm a sucker for 'classic rock') and the arrangements sound somewhat different but not too warped.

A few rehearsals from now I'll be trying out backing vox as well ... Should be fun ;) And if I really stink, these guys WILL tell me. Which was a strange sensation (instant feedback, both positive and negative) but I like it better this way.

Cheers,

Eddie

PS : Can you believe I still haven't bought Made In Japan? ... *shame*

Archived