Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tendonitis...

kahlil

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best thing is always to consult your doctor about exercises you can get on with - especially before and after playing. Warming up is a big issue with Tendonitis. If you don't do it, you are more prone to getting it, or making worse.

Have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome myself and I know it's a complete pain in the...wrists.

Good luck with it!

I'm a victim of the American healthcare crisis, so I can't afford to see a doctor about it. But I have tried to tighten my strap up to my nipples in an attempt to play with better form. I think I need to get a sling so I don't use the arm at all unless I'm playing.

Originally posted by kahlil:

I'm a victim of the American healthcare crisis, so I can't afford to see a doctor about it. But I have tried to tighten my strap up to my nipples in an attempt to play with better form. I think I need to get a sling so I don't use the arm at all unless I'm playing.

Sorry man, i come from a country where the helth care is slow but free.

In that case the one warm up i know for tendons is to hold you hand out flat, face down and with the other hand, slowly pull the fingers and palm up until you feel the tendons strech a little. Don't do this too much and only do it gently at first, you could end up with more damage being done.

Hope that helps.

Stop playing for a couple weeks and see if your arm starts to feel better. Since you say you can't afford to go to a doctor, how do you know it's tendonitis?

It may simply be sore muscles.

Take it easy for a few days and see if the pain goes away.

Find a teacher and start taking lessons. They may be able to help you undo some bad habits you've gotten yourself into. I used to play with an extreme bend in my left wrist all the time because that's what Jaco's hand looked like in photos. Wrong. Your left hand should have a straight wrist most of the time.

Drop by my Double Bass Links Page and check the entries under Musician's Health and Injuries.

You'll find some very useful pages that may help you narrow your diagnosis. Medical Issues for Performers has a nice overview, others go into more detail.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I'd rest for a couple of weeks and use a local anti-inflamatory (non-steroidal) like Voltaren Gel, plenty around the whole wrist, during say a week, according to the directions of the medication in your country (concentration varies...). Improve your technique, you are surely making a position mistake, or maybe simply over tensing your wrist. Holding your bass higher as you tryied is a good idea. :D

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn"

Charlie Parker

if you do the stretch thing as suggested, stretch it once as for as you can and hold it there and then let go. do not stretch to the max and then a bit less and then again etc... this can give you small tears in your muscle tissue. that's the one thing i remember from my old jiu-jitsu teacher... .and warming up is a must!

maybe you can also try a lighter gauge of strings? and practice in having a light touch.

good luck, hope it works out!

!!!BUT!!!

If you use the strap too high, it WILL cause you problems. I once read about these subject. The best position seems to be the most confortable for your arms. Usualy it is when you are playing on a chair (sitting down) (man my english is very bad). Try to adjust the strap to the natural sitting position.

MAN I HAVE TO STUDY ENGLISH.

See ya

Please, forgive my english, I don´t speak it very well

Archived