Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Tab Archive.com

Metal_Boy16

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Edendude:

Just say "NO" to tab!

Learning by ear will make you a better musican every time you learn a new song. Learning by tab will hold you back.

I'll second that, and add that finding a song by ear is SOOOOO much more rewarding than using tab.

Lot of hard work though, and it can get discouraging at times :( But worth every minute :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

It appears that the site has recovered from the hack attack.

Can you tell us more about what happened?

It seems to me that this thread was started to be less about the merits (or lack thereof!) of tab, and more about hacking on a site frequented by a subset of bassists.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I usually rely on ear, but TAB has it's place. If I need to learn a song or two by tonite's unexpected gig, TAB is my bestist friend. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I have made the point of purposely avoiding tab. And boy am I glad I did...

I've just joined a new band. Last night I wrote out the basslines to nine songs from the new band's repertoire. It took me an hour and a half to do it by ear, because I am so used to doing it that way.

Many of these songs would not have tab available online anywhere, because a lot of the material is kind of underground funk music (Groove Collective, Galactic, Tiny Universe, etc). If I had been tab-dependent, I'd be screwed, because it would probably take me an hour and a half to figure out one song, instead of nine.

I never find it particularly frustrating, usually just challenging and rewarding.

I normally go by ear, but I agree with Lug...tab has it's place. I could never have transcribed Jaco's stuff on my own, but with tab I can play some stuff with him. As for the hacking, it looks like it was done by one member, known as Interceptor, from a hacker team of three from Brazil. That's just an assumption though, what I picked up from seeing what happened to BTA and then Goggling the name of that dude and his team and seeing what happened to a bunch of other sites.
"If only I had HIS chops!"

TAB is like drinking. An occational TAB download for socializing is OK, but if you start downloading TAB everyday, TAB alone, or can't stop yourself from getting TAB and others feel you have an unhealthy reliance on TAB, pehaps you should visit Tabbers Anonymous and admit you have a problem that you have no control over. TAB responsibly people, and ALWAYS have a designated sheet reader available.

lug: can I translate your words in Turkish and use it in a local web page with a credit to you. It is funny and will make a good point to the younger bass players that seldomly visit it.

(though translation may not be as funny and articulated as your post)

oh and I am Aykut and I am a TABacholic to be honest :(

oops my signature dropped

thanks for the welcome EPB, I've lurking here since November 2003. I have recognized the thread. In fact I am still studying to train my ear. However I still have problems because of the my bad habits (I have been studying classical guitar for 10 years. I am not bad at reading the treble clef, nor the f-clef (but I am more fluent at reading the treble). Thus my ears are extremely lazy. I even hardly find the roots of the chords sometimes, sometimes I spend long times to recognize the key. Also as one of my friends identified I have a tendency to play the fifth of the note I hear. Maybe I should say I am a recovering TABacholic. I am still depending on the transcriptions, though.

Welcome, titrek.

The bad news is...

Tab dependency is a very debilitating disease.

The good news is...

It's a fully curable disease. And all you have to do is force yourself to sit and learn a couple of dozen basslines by ear. This might be very frustrating for the truly tab dependent at first, but the value of the exercise will spare you from a lifetime of ear-ignorance. And the rewards will come flowing in soon after.

There is nothing more satisfiying that sitting down with some recordings, and blasting through the learning of a dozen or so basslines in just a few hours.

And there is a big added bonus, too...

When you learn a song by ear, it seems to cue a more permanent kind of memory in your subconscious. So even if you don't play that song for a couple of years, it will come back to you very quickly when you do try to play it again. Where as, if you use tab to learn the same song, you'll probably have to start from scratch completely.

Strange but true. At least in my experience.

*LOL* I got that same problem Sometimes the 4th too ... Hey, if it sounds right, why not huh?

isn't that a reversed fifth anyway? :P

Thanks for the great advice and encouragement though. Sure I will keep trying. As that is my most important goal nowadays. I should credit Lowdown for starting this quest. I hope to recover soon :) ) (not as soon as basstabarchive).

by the way it is one of the best tab sites on the net to find tabs to rock songs. [a shameless twist to the topic]

I read notation poorly. It's a struggle, and I don't need it very often being an "ear" learner.

When I look at tab, I have to take the "dot" on the fretboard and figure out what that means to my hand/fingers. If the tab is showing a mark (whether a number of the finger or something to show the length of the note) at the third fret of the E string, I have to translate that visual into motion.

That seems the same as what I do when reading notation. Except that most notation I find includes rhythm, dynamics, and is accurate (or more accurate). So I will only use tab if I can learn a fingering technique. Other than in BassPlayer, I don't look at it.

Of course the other issue here is that it's sad that ANY site gets hacked.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by titrek:

lug: can I translate your words in Turkish and use it in a local web page with a credit to you. It is funny and will make a good point to the younger bass players that seldomly visit it.

(though translation may not be as funny and articulated as your post)

oh and I am Aykut and I am a TABacholic to be honest :(

It would be my honor to be so quoted.

Archived